Venomoid - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 12-02-2003, 01:04 AM   #1
PAUL BOLLINGER
Angry Venomoid

I can't stand this malicious practice. Look at this poor creature. I just don't get it.....
Attached Images

Old 12-02-2003, 01:31 AM   #2
KelliH
Greed.

Old 12-11-2003, 01:19 PM   #3
WaranTor
venomoid?

what is venamoid? i have never heard of this practice but from the loosk of it its not pretty! sorry for the ignorance. im kinda new to this site.

Andy

Old 01-04-2004, 10:45 PM   #4
snakegetters
That's horrendous. Whose hackwork is that?

Venomoiding is the practice of butchering and mutilating a venomous snake in order to turn it into a harmless toy to prop up the ego of some wannabe who is too impatient or too stupid to learn how to handle real venomous snakes but wants to show off his cool pet cobra right now.

Theoretically this operation may be carried out by a veterinarian, but generally speaking they aren't. Most vets won't do this kind of surgery. The majority of the venomoids sold at shows and on the Net are the work of amateur butchers who are using "surgical" tools from Home Depot and no pain medication. In many cases it appears that no post surgery antibiotics are given either, which has predictable results - a lot of dead snakes.

Old 02-08-2004, 07:51 PM   #5
BryonsBoas
Wouldn't it be nice if......

We held the guy who did that down and carve out his teeth with "Home Depot" surgery kits?

Bryon Adzic

Old 04-01-2004, 08:01 PM   #6
geckogod2
looks to me like a snake eating a mouse.. he already has half the mouse (head, look for the nose) in his mouth...you can see the tail too.. the white mouse is kinda hidden in the paper towel. if you look further down you see the snake get skinnier then bulge out again.. it looks like this snake was maybe undernourished and has just been given a mouse(the bulge to the left in the pic). The reason his jaw looks "deformed" is because its not aligned right from eating the previous mouse.. i fail to see the "butcher" job in this pic.. according to this pic.....the snake IS eating and thats all i see.. I see this as an attempt to flame ppl even more about venomoids..

Old 04-01-2004, 08:31 PM   #7
Seamus Haley
Quote:
he already has half the mouse (head, look for the nose) in his mouth...you can see the tail too..
The mouse is UNDER his head, the tail is emerging from underneath it's jaw.

... what's left of it's jaw.

Old 04-01-2004, 11:24 PM   #8
SPJ
Venemoids are controversial but I think they do have a place IF the surgery is performed properly by trained people.
Training programs for EMR personnel that may encounter venemous snakes should use venemoids to ensure the safety of the trainees when they are being taught about the species they may encounter. Educational programs that teach about venomous snakes should use venemoids to have a measure of safety when presenting these animals to the public.
I do not feel these should be kept by just anyone who wants to show off that they have a King Cobra as a pet but I do see where they can be valuable embassadors of their species in training programs if the procedure was done under sedation, in a sterile environment, and antibiotics were used to prevent infection.

Old 04-01-2004, 11:51 PM   #9
geckogod2
look again:

The mouse is NOT under the Jaw.... look where the head of the mouse is... look at the black area under the mouse.. the head of the mouse is clearly in the snakes mouth..while the tail is under its head or jaw..

Old 04-02-2004, 03:05 AM   #10
Intense Herpetoculture
I'm against them 100% and personally can't think of a good reason to mutilate them for our benifit.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!