Why hots? - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-13-2018, 08:37 AM   #31
Zach_little562
But it’s much more than a test of skill or a show of bravado, as some of you say. It’s about interacting with an animal that very few will ever understand, an animal that fascinates you more than any other. It’s about showing the people you meet that they aren’t mindless killing machines but that they have traits and personalities that make them unique. Elapids for instance are more intelligent than any other snake you will run across, it might surprise you. They aren’t the monsters you portray them as, they are amazing animals that are near and dear to those who have the ability to keep them. Extraordinary animals with extraordinary abilities, and that is why we keep them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-13-2018, 11:03 AM   #32
BlueCrowned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe09 View Post
If anyone is considering a venomous snake reads this, I really recommend not getting a vemonoid. They’re not a smart choice as a replacement hot because they can come in really bad condition.
Creating venomoids is clearly unethical any way and they can sometimes still manage to envenomate so it creates a false sense of security. Bad idea all around.

Old 01-13-2018, 05:54 PM   #33
Helenthereef
Here's a link to a very edifying thread posted by a most experienced hots keeper who was originally showing that he could handle his rattlesnakes safely, but eventually had the (very close to) worst happen. I really admire this gentleman for his frankness and lack of machismo bulls**t about what can and does happen even to the best.

Unfortunately many of the photographs are no longer there, but it's an educational read if you have a little time to spare and follow it through.

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ht=rattlesnake

To clarify - in the earlier photographs he was sitting in a lawn chair in an outdoor enclosure, free handling Sweetpea the rattlesnake. In post 110 he was in a hospital bed, connected to a network of tubes and machines.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:09 PM   #34
mike03081970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
Here's a link to a very edifying thread posted by a most experienced hots keeper who was originally showing that he could handle his rattlesnakes safely, but eventually had the (very close to) worst happen. I really admire this gentleman for his frankness and lack of machismo bulls**t about what can and does happen even to the best.

Unfortunately many of the photographs are no longer there, but it's an educational read if you have a little time to spare and follow it through.

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...ht=rattlesnake

To clarify - in the earlier photographs he was sitting in a lawn chair in an outdoor enclosure, free handling Sweetpea the rattlesnake. In post 110 he was in a hospital bed, connected to a network of tubes and machines.
I love my snakes also love handling them there are things not meant to be housed look at my gaboon viper isn't it pretty can't touch it because it will kill me and my whole family just don't understand no matter how good you think you are they are better

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Old 01-30-2018, 11:00 PM   #35
hotlips
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidgetFadeds View Post
For me it was all about the uniqueness of the animal and the risk was something unfortunate that I was bound to mitigate for my safety and that of others. I liked the snakes as creatures alone not because of their venom but because I like them. If they were not hot I’d like them the same maybe even more because I wouldn’t have had to go through all the safety protocols.....
I no longer keep anything but harmless snakes, but some years back, I accidentally got into rattlesnakes primarily because they were local & ending up in people's yards, & then kept a number of both hot & previously-owned & unwanted venomoids safely for 20 years. I was not initially drawn to rattlesnakes at all, but I just didn't want them killed needlessly for being in the wrong place, and I've never been sorry that I kept an open mind when the first one (a venomoid) was offered to me, as that snake taught me a great deal. It certainly wasn't about him being venomous, as he had no ability to envenomate, but really about his personality. I can even remember thinking at the time that rattlesnakes were "ugly" as I was comparing them to my colorful rat snakes. I often told people who asked why I helped rattlesnakes that I didn't like them "because they are venomous, but in spite of it".

So I can really relate to MidgetFadeds' post, quoted above. The statistics say that most venomous bites befall young males who've been drinking+, and while there does seem to be a "macho" element for some, happily not everyone falls into that category. With a background in health care, I've seen plenty of bite images & have an enormous sense of self-preservation. I'd also caution anyone thinking of keeping hots, not only about the liability, but where you're going to live: if you rent, forget it, and if you own a place, good luck with homeowner's insurance. (I was very lucky in that respect, I had an agent with whom I was honest, trusted & locally well-known.)

Old 01-30-2018, 11:18 PM   #36
BlueCrowned
I have to admit I would love to keep coral snakes, but I know I'm not anywhere near responsible enough to do it. There are a few species that are uniquely beautiful. If they were not venomous I'd already have some.

Old 01-30-2018, 11:47 PM   #37
hotlips
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCrowned View Post
I have to admit I would love to keep coral snakes, but I know I'm not anywhere near responsible enough to do it. There are a few species that are uniquely beautiful. If they were not venomous I'd already have some.
Coral snakes are beautiful but so secretive, you wouldn't see much of them anyway. IMO, they aren't prettier than so many kinds of milk snakes and there's no venom to worry about with milk snakes. A milk snake would be great practice anyway, & I've heard people saying they got one just for that reason (similar behavior, very quick moves) and hard to contain (tiny snakes can be such escape artists). An "oops" with a milk snake is way better than an "oops" with a coral.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!