When all else fails, now what? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-12-2005, 11:44 AM   #1
Griz
When all else fails, now what?

I purchased some vision cages and in the discussion with the owner he also included 2 ball pythons. One is an adult male 100% het for ghost from Evan Stahl (with paperwork and Evan did verify). The other is a wc adult female. She came in gravid and laid the last of her eggs about 2 weeks ago. I have never dealt with BP's before and she is very skinny (her backbone is very noticeable). I have tried to get her to eat just about every conceivable way but to no avail. I would appreciate any one else's thoughts on how to get her back on track, whether frozen or alive, so that I know she is at least receiving nourishment.

Griz

Old 09-12-2005, 12:13 PM   #2
Griz
Well, just heard back from the guy in which I received her from. He was having to manually feed her by opening her mouth and placing f/t inside. Crap! I did not want to be in a position where I was playing the force feeding game.

Anybody want an adult female cheap?

Griz

Old 09-12-2005, 12:46 PM   #3
Tears_and_Fangs
Force feeding? poor baby....how much you selling her for? I may be interested.

Old 09-12-2005, 01:02 PM   #4
jglass38
Bob,

There are a lot of things you can try to get her eating. Have you tried live? If he just placed it in her mouth, that is assist feeding, not force feeding. It is definitely less stressful but not something you want to continue long term. Why not find a large adult mouse (live) and give it a try. Let us know how things go!

Jamie

Old 09-12-2005, 01:28 PM   #5
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglass38
Why not find a large adult mouse (live) and give it a try.
Make it dark, black or brown. I've known people who have imported wild caught balls that won't white mice and they have to find dark rodents in order for them to eat them.

Old 09-12-2005, 01:29 PM   #6
jglass38
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAND
Make it dark, black or brown. I've known people who have imported wild caught balls that won't white mice and they have to find dark rodents in order for them to eat them.
I've always preferred the white meat!

Old 09-12-2005, 02:27 PM   #7
Griz
I heard about the white vs black thing. I did place a live black hopper in with her and after a few hours nothing. I have dangled dead, partial alive etc in front to no avail. I have only had her a week so there is still time. The seller mentioned he gave her 2 mice last week via the assist method so I guess I will cross my fingers and see what happens.

Griz

Old 09-12-2005, 03:01 PM   #8
SPJ
If all else fails, you can resort to gerbils. They are like crack to WC BP's.

You posted you tried hoppers. Sounds like they would be too small. BP's will usually ignore prey items unless they are the appropriate size. Try stepping up to an audlt mouse or small rat.

Old 09-12-2005, 04:02 PM   #9
Griz
I am making the assumption here that nobody would leave an adult mouse/rat/gerbil in the enclosure unmonitored, correct? I used a hopper so that the damage would be minimal if any.

Griz

Old 09-12-2005, 04:10 PM   #10
jglass38
With the behavior of the snake at this point and its unwillingness to eat on its own, I wouldnt leave anything unattended in there. Just keep an eye on it

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!