Finding BIG Black Rats - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 02-01-2005, 05:36 PM   #11
Householder Geckos
Hi guys, glad to hear some intelligent, considerate, vengeful venting.
for the Snakeman, I grew up in southeast Missouri, not in the Ozarks exactly, but close enough. In late spring do what you can to get permission to look around in the oldest most delapidated barns you can. Black Rats were the first snake I became intimately familiar with as a kid, and the first snake that I was bitten by (many, many times) I have never seen one in excess of 7 feet, but 6+ was definitely common in Scott Co.
remember:
where there is grain storage, there are lots of rodents
where there are lots of rodents, there are usually big healthy snakes not far!

Good luck

p.s. I also did see some large BRS in the immediate vicinity of a friends cabin
near Cuba, MO last summer. Again, stuff that attracts rodents also brings in the snakes.

Old 02-10-2005, 07:04 AM   #12
cka
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave
Yeah, I've seen some big ones when I was younger living in Maryland. Used to live in Harford County.
You must have been one of them "out in the county" boys lol...I grew up in Joppatowne, in south Harford Co...I would catch big black rats, along with northern water snakes and the very ocasional garter or black racer (too fast hehe) along the channel leading up to Gunpowder Cove Marina. I can remember showing off one when i was about 14 thats tail just missed touching the ground as i held it up, arm extended. Love 'em, the biggest of prizes (well, for me) as a kid...

Old 02-10-2005, 08:07 AM   #13
ms_terese
I live in the Ozarks as well (Bull Shoals Lake), and we come across some pretty hefty ones. The biggest ones I've come across though, were on my relatives' farms in Randolph County when I was growing up. The corn fields had black rats that easily ran 7-9 ft.

Around here, we get calls about people losing eggs, chicks, and full chickens, and we've not had trouble identifying the big black rat that's responsible. The best was a couple of summers ago, when one got INTO the chicken coop and ate so many little chicks that he was too fat to make it back out!

Here's a picture of a little 6-footer that the dog sniffed out of one of our bushes in the yard.
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2005, 03:06 PM   #14
David Scarboro
7' 1"

I thought I had a record with one I found here in Ga. in 1981. It was huge (to me) and measured 7'1". Sounds like there are some bigger out there. I don't find as many any more, or any other snakes in this area. My theories are loss of habitat, roads, and the Eastern Wild Turkey. I have observed these birds scratching in the leaves and eating baby snakes a number of times!

Old 03-31-2005, 09:37 PM   #15
snakester
Big Black Rats...

Ok... so this is in SC, but...
While I was bottle hunting (I like to hunt for reptiles and old bottles) I picked up an old tire and tossed it to the side so I could look through the pile of junk under it. just then I saw some thing move in the corner of my eye, I looked and there was the body of a "large" snake! I looked around and found two sticks and started to try to get the snake out. Finally I got the tail out of the tire and saw to my delight that there were no rattles, so I grabbed his tail and started to pull him out as carefully as I could! I was very nerves because it was one of the first times I had caught a snake! so when I got it out I wanted to be 100% sure it was not a HOT snake! so I stepped on his head very lightly and looked at his eyes. I had already looked at the tail to try to see if it was ok or not but was not 100% sure of how to tell by the tail. So after I caught it I kept it for a while 'till I found out it was illegal to own any thing native to GA where we were living at the time, so I sold it to a friend for $30.00 then when we started to move I bought it back for the same price. When I caught it it was a little under 5 & 1/2 ft. and I kept it three years 'till it was 6 ft.
I could not sell it because it was such a common snake around there. So I had to let it go. I know it was not the best thing to do but I had kept it wild so I think and hope it will/is ok!

I will put some pics of it on here when I find them!

P.S. It was my absolute favorite snake... (and I have had several!)!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!