Conflict of interests - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:15 PM   #1
crotalusadamanteus
Conflict of interests

I have herped some areas of the Franklin Mtns in NE El Paso, that has produced some of the nicest green Blacktail Rattlers, and some of the largest Atrox that I have encountered in the El Paso area. This is the home of the Trans Pecos Rat snake, as well many other species of snakes. Nice Collared lizards in this area too.

Well, sorry to say, that My job, which so many say I am lucky to have, due to working in herp country much of the time, also has a down side. It seriously conflicts with my efforts of conservation at times as well. I have found myself in this situation again.

I'm a Land Survey Party Chief, and I just got the order to start leaving control points for construction that will be going on to develop and build several subdivisions. This bites, as it lays right in the heart of the best herping, even some artifacts, around here.
I feel like I am being forced to invade and destroy my own home. I'd wager money I've spent more time on this mountain, watching deer and cougar, and tracking, herping, hiking, releasing, just being at peace, than any other person in this city.

Now the best is to be destroyed. I trained in Civil Construction thinking roads, highways and such. Strait lines mostly. Not square miles of houses. Boy did I mess up.

In the picture below, The green line is the State Park boundary. The blue line is the entire project outline. The red X's are areas where I am to leave the most points for them to start. Each triangle outlines a square mile, (with some mid points) and it's going to be all houses, filled with morons who will scream to have the last mountain lion killed, because they were stupid enough to let their dog run loose.

Anyway, needed to vent.
Peace
Attached Images

Old 11-01-2007, 07:36 PM   #2
99Vengeur
Man, that really sucks. Is this development going on RIGHT to the East (just outside) of the state park?

Old 11-01-2007, 07:53 PM   #3
crotalusadamanteus
The boundary runs along the state park boundary, so most likely.

EDIT: In the lower portion only. Don't know what I was thinking.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:30 PM   #4
Savriti
Richard,
I have been a surveyor in Florida for 19 years and have seen many places destroyed by subdivisions. It is a sad sight to see. I have seen many Indigo snakes, Florida box turtles, Gopher tortoises, eastern Diamondbacks and many more destroyed by all this construction. The other sad part is the people like us that want to protect and breed these animals are denied by the State's Governments because of the dwindling numbers. I believe by all this overconstruction and not over collection.

David Edmonds

Old 11-01-2007, 09:34 PM   #5
TheFragginDragon
I can't imagine being in your boots my friend.....I hope you can find peace in what is definitely an unenviable position.....

Old 11-02-2007, 07:12 AM   #6
crotalusadamanteus
Thanks guys. It definitely sucks. I went through this 2 years ago in Anthony TX, another excellent herp area, but nothing like the scale of this job.

What makes this really bite, is this is my most prime release area for rescued wildlife. It has been under lease by triple B (Bowen) cattle company for many years, and was supposed to be a life long lease. Hence, a safe release spot.

Well, since the Public Service Board technically OWNS the land, they decided to sell it to Hunt development group out right, to generate funds for the Desalinization plant being built. Now it won't be a release area, but another new RESCUE area. Which means that when the houses start getting built, I'll be spending my summers getting calls to remove rattlers from peoples houses, or tracking because someones dog is missing, and insists that it's a Cougar, coyote, Bobcat or some other "vicious" animals that took it.

Can you tell I've done this before? And these developers have no scruples at all. I called, and got shut down one of their jobs 4 years ago for disregarding the migratory bird act. I marked over a dozen ground nests, and put up stakes saying not to molest, even " iNO MOLESTAR!" for those that don't habla. I don't show up ONE day, and they pulled the stakes, and plowed it under. The super-intendant was fined and lost his job over that one. I almost did too, for creating such a disruption.

Anyway, one good thing will come of this. I get to build my 3rd water Dam, which is invaluable experience. I hope to get into the hydro retention, and control part of this business exclusively. Leave the rest for people who don't give a damn.

Anyway, thanks for the support, and for listening. I'll get over it, but it is really disheartening.

Rick

Old 11-02-2007, 10:49 AM   #7
Tim Cole
Not quite the same

but for years I was relocating snakes to a large piece of property that was an abandoned farm site. I did this when I was an Animal Control Officer and a rehabber. A lot of the snakes were atrox. A couple years ago, surveyors stakes went up on the backside of the property. Then I knew I needed to get the snakes out of there. One morning, 8 of us went in and in one hour we found 27 snakes made of over 8 species. So far my hot spot there is untouched but not for long.

Old 11-02-2007, 07:01 PM   #8
crotalusadamanteus
Well, at least you saved a few Tim. That's a good thing for sure. I'm sorta hoping this doesn't go all hot and heavy till after the seasons change. Right now they are denning up, and I ain't finding much. Surprised about the Blacktail's too. I always find them late in the season.

Now the closest place for the safest release is White Sands Missile Range. About 30 minutes north of this job site. A bit more of a drive from where I live. But unless they sell that too, they have 100 sq. miles or so to roam.

Thanks everyone for the kind words!
Rick

Old 11-02-2007, 07:24 PM   #9
deborahbroadus
OY..bummer. Where are animal rights people when they are really needed?

Old 11-04-2007, 12:00 AM   #10
Ed Clark
Thumbs up

No one likes to see a special spot turned into a development!

Fact of the matter is that piece of land is private property, are you suggesting to deny the land owner his right to develop his personal property?

Only solution is to buy that land and preserve it as a sanctuary.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!