The other problematic pairing - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-06-2003, 11:10 AM   #1
Clay Davenport
The other problematic pairing

This one involves a male purchased as a Pastel Motley and a female hypo that turned out to be het anerythristic.
When we purchased the male for my son I had not kept corns in several years and had been left behind in the cultivar developments. I asked the seller at the show exactly what it was genetically, since pastel didn't mean anything to me. He replied that it was a ghost corn with the motley trait.
I decided to get a hypo female last year just to do some breeding trials with this male. The idea was if I produced hypos, I would know for sure. The female unfortunately turned out to be het anerythristic so that further confused the issue. What ever happened to the ability to get a corn not het for anything?

Anyway, I have some similar questions regarding this pairing as I had for the last one. Knowing the changes a hatchling corn goes through with age, how obvious is the hypo trait at birth?
The breeding test at this point has shown me nothing I can be sure of.
Here's a few more pics of this group, again the hatchlings are 1 day old, and the male is in the very early stages of a shed cycle so he's a bit darker than his best color. I have given him a letter designation as I did with the others to attempt to keep a degree of order.

Male
Male closeup
2003 clutch (pic 1)
2003 clutch (pic 2)
2003 clutch (pic 3)

I didn't get any pictures of the female, she is hypo, that much I can tell.
I'd like to settle these issues, and figured my best bet was to get the input of people who are much more into corns than I. Until I went back to producing them last year, I hadn't bred any corns since the early 90s when all I had to worry about albino, anery, and snow haha. Was much simpler back then.

Old 08-06-2003, 11:56 AM   #2
Darin Chappell
Well Clay . . . I'm just the bearer of wonderful news for you today, Huh??? You're going to get where you don't want me replying to your posts ever again, if you're not already there!

Given the same constraints of computer screens I mentioned before, I would have to say that I doubt that your male is homozygous for hypomelanism AND motley. The reason is that motley/stripe already has a psuedo-hypomelanistic effect in itself. Most motley aneries look very light, and their borders are usually not the dark black outlines of an anery. Again, YMMV, but that's the general rule. However, when hypomelanism is added to the mix of motley and anery, the pattern becomes VERY light, indeed. In fact, many striped animals that are also hypomelanistic have their patterns nearly complete fade away due to the effect.

However, your male is very well marked with clear delineation between the saddles markings and the ground color. It's possible he's a ghost motley, but I think it's more likely that the person from whom you got it was simply mistaken about what he had. "Pastel Motley" is a term that was used about three different ways by many breeders for the last few years, or so. Some had it applied to ghost motlies, some to very pink anery motlies, and some to any anery motley at all. It's one of those terms that covers so much that it has very little real meaning at all.

So, your babies, assuming that your male is an anery motley, are all normals, triple het for hypo (of whatever type), motley, and anery, or aneries double het for hypo and motley. They should produce a wonderful variety of offspring in a few years!

Old 08-06-2003, 04:11 PM   #3
Clay Davenport
Quote:
You're going to get where you don't want me replying to your posts ever again, if you're not already there!
Not at all Darin. I really wasn't hoping for anything, I just wanted to know the situation.
My confusion lay in the fact that all three of these were acquired as ghost, but the offspring didn't look like I thought they should. I'll be the first to admit that I put no effort in keeping up with the corn morphs. I wouldn't have these if it weren't a project to do with my son. Once he's prepared to move on to more difficult species, we won't be producing any at all.
Corns are fine little snakes, but in reality there's plenty produced annually without me hatching any. I would rather put my efforts in species more in need of reproduction, and with less cultivars to demand brain cycles to keep track of.
I appreciate your input, and I better understand what constitutes a ghost now.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!