Asking for the 3% PayPal fee - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:48 PM   #31
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStorm View Post
I have thought about setting up the ability to take cards myself but I'm not sure how practical that would be outside of shows since I am not sure how many buyers would be willing to give out their card number via phone or email.

Just to give you some feedback on that without taking this to far off topic, I will just mention if you want to add that to your payment options you can set that up for free and easy and no monthly fees.

I made a thread about intuits service "Go payments card reader" here

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=310740

It also gives you the option of processing the cards with a virtual terminal online. Not the website version which charges fees and you have to setup a checkout on your site but just a quick pop-up window to process credit cards online.

http://intuit-gopayment.com/free?cid...120525194205:s

https://merchantcenter.intuit.com/qbms#

https://gopayment.intuit.com/GoPayment/site/login

Worrying about practicality would be gone because it costs nothing to sign up and not much time to invest in signing up. Plus you get the free credit card reader for your phone. You can have the payments sent to your bank account or a prepaid Visa card with your name on it. Of course the fee is a little higher by typing in the credit card vs swiping.

Of course you could just type the credit card number into the phone too.

Anyways, just putting that out there...

Old 05-26-2012, 01:47 PM   #32
Jabberwocky Dragons
The 3% fee is just a part of doing business for a seller. Charging for the paypal fee is the same, IMHO, as charging an electricity fee, feeding fee, and caging fee. All of these expenses should be built into the price. Asking a customer to deliberately forfeit their buyer's protection (what little exists with PayPal) comes across as unprofessional and points to a business that cares more about a few dollars then their customers. Perhaps they don't understand that customer loyalty and having a positive image is priceless.

Dennis, thank you for the info, both here and on the other thread, about the Go reader. I think I'll give it a try.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:33 PM   #33
hhmoore
I've been walking away from purchases because of that 3% for years. I generally inform them that requesting that additional payment is a violation of their user agreement...there have been a few times that I just sent the agreed upon price, and disregarded their request that I cover the fee. The latter approach can actually be kind of fun, because if they refuse to send you your purchase; a claim gets made & they get to explain to PayPal why they are violating the user agreement in that manner. Generally, though, if the person doesn't agree to waive that charge, I simply look elsewhere.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:42 PM   #34
Double B Reptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
I've been walking away from purchases because of that 3% for years. I generally inform them that requesting that additional payment is a violation of their user agreement...there have been a few times that I just sent the agreed upon price, and disregarded their request that I cover the fee. The latter approach can actually be kind of fun, because if they refuse to send you your purchase; a claim gets made & they get to explain to PayPal why they are violating the user agreement in that manner. Generally, though, if the person doesn't agree to waive that charge, I simply look elsewhere.
I guess that is one way around it, however not very polite, regardless of whether the seller is breaking the rules or not. You should inform the person politely, then if they still insist on the fee, just walk away. Simple as that. There is no reason to go all the way through filing a claim, if it can be avoided, unless you are that bored and need excitement I guess.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:04 AM   #35
hhmoore
If the person has the money for the animal + shipping, the ball is in their court....
They can IMMEDIATELY refund the entire payment & lose the sale, they can honor the purchase & send the animal, or they can insist that they be sent the extra money.
(I've only followed through with making a claim in that situation one time...and I would do it again if faced with the same conditions.)

What I used to do - if the statement was made in the ad, or initial contact - is just make a lower offer than I would otherwise would have. That covers the 3% on my end, while getting me a better price; and they think they're still getting the extra money.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:34 PM   #36
FireStorm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Hultman View Post

Just to give you some feedback on that without taking this to far off topic, I will just mention if you want to add that to your payment options you can set that up for free and easy and no monthly fees.

I made a thread about intuits service "Go payments card reader" here

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=310740

It also gives you the option of processing the cards with a virtual terminal online. Not the website version which charges fees and you have to setup a checkout on your site but just a quick pop-up window to process credit cards online.

http://intuit-gopayment.com/free?cid...120525194205:s

https://merchantcenter.intuit.com/qbms#

https://gopayment.intuit.com/GoPayment/site/login

Worrying about practicality would be gone because it costs nothing to sign up and not much time to invest in signing up. Plus you get the free credit card reader for your phone. You can have the payments sent to your bank account or a prepaid Visa card with your name on it. Of course the fee is a little higher by typing in the credit card vs swiping.

Of course you could just type the credit card number into the phone too.

Anyways, just putting that out there...
Thanks for the info. That looks like it might be perfect for me!

Old 07-06-2012, 07:23 AM   #37
chrisga
Ive encountered people asking for the 2.75% credit card fee. What bugs me is that I know they aren't charged that much by the CC processor in the first place.

I scratch the fee collectors off the list and move on.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:52 PM   #38
Snake-Queen
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisga View Post
Ive encountered people asking for the 2.75% credit card fee. What bugs me is that I know they aren't charged that much by the CC processor in the first place.

I scratch the fee collectors off the list and move on.
Yes, you are charged that much when accepting credit cards.
I recently started using Square & that is the fee.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #39
Mooing Tricycle
The whole adding in shipping cost brings up a question for me. Would it be possible to pay for the shipping, through the shipping service? To SKIP paypal so that the percentage of money that is charged that 3% fee is less, so the seller loses less money? Its something i would happily do for the seller if it helped.

Just a thought.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:22 PM   #40
FireStorm
I think its pretty easy to send someone a shipping label thru SYR...so I think that would be an option. That would work even if the buyer wasnt fedex certified.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!