Eastern/Western Diamondback ID - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-10-2007, 03:09 AM   #1
AcidFreeze
Eastern/Western Diamondback ID

What visual differences do these 2 have so that I may better ID them? I have 1.1.0 Atrox and have come to be curious as to the difference; even after googling the pics really don't know. The National Audubon Societies "Reptiles and Amphibian" book seems to mention that the western has encircled broad black and white rings which is why they are calling it the "coon tail rattler"; but makes no mention of the same on the Eastern.
There is mention of rows of scales W. having 25-27, and the E. having 27-29; but if I were in the field I wouldn't want to try to count rows while it was trying to evade me.
Ref: pg. 686-687 Western
Ref: pg. 685-686 Eastern
Thanks. Greg

Old 11-10-2007, 04:49 AM   #2
Clay Davenport
Do a Google image search on the two, they are quite easy to distinguish. The tail is a good indicator as you mentioned, the easterns lack the black and white rings.
Regardless though, if you were in the field you would know which one of the two you were looking at, as long as you knew where you were anyway.

Old 11-10-2007, 04:58 AM   #3
hhmoore
If you were in the field, the most useful thing to differentiate the two would be knowing where you were (the ranges don't overlap). From a strictly visual perspective, the base colors are USUALLY different - with the Eastern tending toward yellow or olive, vs the Western's grey. Both species can be brown,though, and, at a quick look, those specimens are a bit more difficult to differentiate.
Both species have a post-ocular stripe (diagonal)...the Eastern's tends to stand out more due to the stark contrast with their lighter colored face, while the stripe on the Western usually blends in better with their coloring. Once again, though, on darker colored Easterns this becomes less reliable.
Both species also have tail bands; however the Western's black and (off)white bands are very distinct, whereas the Easterns black bands are on a darker ground color that often disguises them...especially at a glance.

Old 11-10-2007, 05:00 AM   #4
hhmoore
I hate when I have to answer a page in the middle of a post, lol, somebody always comes in and says what I am in the middle of typing.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:53 AM   #5
jsrocket
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidFreeze
What visual differences do these 2 have so that I may better ID them? I have 1.1.0 Atrox and have come to be curious as to the difference; even after googling the pics really don't know. The National Audubon Societies "Reptiles and Amphibian" book seems to mention that the western has encircled broad black and white rings which is why they are calling it the "coon tail rattler"; but makes no mention of the same on the Eastern.
There is mention of rows of scales W. having 25-27, and the E. having 27-29; but if I were in the field I wouldn't want to try to count rows while it was trying to evade me.
Ref: pg. 686-687 Western
Ref: pg. 685-686 Eastern
Thanks. Greg
You "have" Wdb's, but don't know the difference between them and edb's. UH, ok... sheesh. BTW, i got a couple cobras on the cheap...

Old 11-11-2007, 08:00 AM   #6
jsrocket
forgot stupid emoticon

Old 11-11-2007, 03:22 PM   #7
AcidFreeze
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrocket
You "have" Wdb's, but don't know the difference between them and edb's. UH, ok... sheesh. BTW, i got a couple cobras on the cheap...

Sarcasm sucks; and you should take it somewhere else. I don't care what you claim to have; I need information on the topic I posted - not frivolous snide remarks such as yours.If your gonna act like a female canine GO TO KS; or take it out on your childern they are probibly used to it.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:22 PM   #8
Ken Harbart
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidFreeze
Sarcasm sucks; and you should take it somewhere else. I don't care what you claim to have; I need information on the topic I posted - not frivolous snide remarks such as yours.If your gonna act like a female canine GO TO KS; or take it out on your childern they are probibly used to it.
No, the sarcasm was entirely appropriate. You're keeping venomous snakes but are demonstrating ignorance of something very fundamental. That's the type of thing that gets people killed and leads to increased regulation of other keepers.

As others have said, your biggest clue "in the field" is going to be where you're located. If you're out west, then you'll see wdb's. Here in the southeastern states, you'll see edb's. The ranges don't overlap.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:03 PM   #9
jsrocket
Simmer down, Greg. I am not sure if you are talking about "keeping" rattlesnakes or what.

If you are not, then the point is mute, and you are best advised to AVOID venomous snakes.

Leave them alone. If you do, they will not bother you.

For identification purposes, there is the good old "Peterson Field Guide", etc.

If you get bit, the ID western vs. eastern is the last thing you gotta worry about.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:55 PM   #10
AcidFreeze
My atrox

Here is a picture of my Male. I have never seen an eastern 1 on 1 and just wanted to know the difference in the two so when I do go to Hamberg or something similar I do not get ripped off.
As for hots and nots over 1/2 of my personal collection is hot.
Oh and for the cynical he is in his feeding cage; when he's done I put him back in with the female and then it's her turn.

That said I do appreciate the positive responses and will reference them

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!