Some Hot trivia - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-18-2006, 11:43 PM   #1
crotalusadamanteus
Some Hot trivia

OK, since we have so many hot keepers with alout of experience, (pun intended) I thought of a trivia question.
There are some 20 odd species of Crotalinae..............Who can name them all?
I can think of probably close to 20 myself, but I am sure I am lacking being out of the loop for so long.

Have fun,
Rick

Old 03-19-2006, 03:08 AM   #2
sppeavy
i have been looking for you. I was in west texas this past weekend. found a few critters. Anyways, A friend from washington and i are comming to do some herping in your area this spring. He is flying in to El Paso and im meeting him there. We are going to go west first, then come back to texas. You want to help out in your area? I have never herped around you. Let me know, Thanks...............sppeavy@hotmail.com, Later

Old 03-19-2006, 08:21 AM   #3
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by sppeavy
i have been looking for you. I was in west texas this past weekend. found a few critters. Anyways, A friend from washington and i are comming to do some herping in your area this spring. He is flying in to El Paso and im meeting him there. We are going to go west first, then come back to texas. You want to help out in your area? I have never herped around you. Let me know, Thanks...............sppeavy@hotmail.com, Later

Man, you aint even going to guess at one? Jeez! Yer no fun at all.

Yeah, if I remember correctly, you emailed Me once about this. Feel free to do so again, or PM Me with your email. We can exchange numbers or something. I cannot make plans too far in advance though, I have to go to AZ next month sometime to get My big girl and her new babies, and I have some tentative plans for heading down south Tx for some field herping there coming up. It all lies in the timing I guess, but I am interested. Just keep Me up.

Now, you gonna guess at the question? HA HA

Rick

Old 03-19-2006, 05:14 PM   #4
sppeavy
I can think of a few

Im a bookworm, so here you go......
Agkistrodon
Atropoides
Crotalus
Gloydias
Bothriechis
Bothriopsis
Bothrops
Sistrurus
Ovophis
Hypnale
Calloselasma
Lachesis

Now, there are a few (around 10 or so) Testudines. Know any. I have the luxury of recieveing reptile books at every holiday. That all I freeking get.

Old 03-19-2006, 06:27 PM   #5
sppeavy
Or did you want individual snakes?

Every venomous in the U.S. except the corals and sea snakes. ie.. all rattlers, copperheads, and cottonmouths. This list could go for a long time.

Old 03-19-2006, 06:46 PM   #6
crotalusadamanteus
Nope, you are answering just what I was looking for. There are still more though. I am hoping someone will put some I don't know. Something maybe recategorized for example (like the Western ssp of Rattlers.)

In answer to your question, I happen to know that one from some research done a while back.
Is this what you are sking for?

Carettochelyidae
Chelidae
Chelonidae
Chelydridae
Dermatemydidae
Dermochelyidae
Emydidae
Kinosternidae
Pelomedusidae
Testudinae
Testudinidae
Trionychidae

Those are the 12 I found when I was looking for some ID info a while back. But Turts and Tort's aren't hot. LOL Anymore that you know of?

Anyone else gonna try? I know BW will show up eventually and name them all. HA HA HA

Rick

Old 03-19-2006, 08:10 PM   #7
sppeavy
Heres a few more

Cerrophidion
Deinagkistrodon
Ophryacus
Porthidium
Trimereurus
Tropidolaemus

I think that makes 18 so far. Ill look for some more.

Old 03-19-2006, 08:14 PM   #8
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
Originally Posted by sppeavy
I think that makes 18 so far. Ill look for some more.
Cheater. Are you looking them up or what? HA HA

After we get them all, which is your favorite, and why?

Rick

Old 03-19-2006, 11:00 PM   #9
sppeavy
I had to find the last 6

There are so many to choose from for a favorite. I really like our native Trans-Pecos Copperheads. A friend has found one that is almost red in color. I also love the Rock Rattlers and the Protected Ridgenose Rattler. My overall favorite would be the Cantil. Thats a beautiful snake. Everytime I see one, I drool all over. Hey, you seeing any critters yet. I have found a few around here, but the temps are dropping out on me. Its supposed to snow this week. I know turtles are not hots, but it was a similar question for you. Its funny you mentioned that though, I got in an argument with my ex-roomates girl over a supposedly poisonous turtle and she wouldnt let it go even after I proved it was not true. She had read about box turtles eating poisonous mushrooms, and then the native indians getting sick from eating the turtle meat. She didnt understand that the turtle couldnt poison you with a bit. It was pretty funny how dumb she was. Anyways, I talk toooo much.

Old 03-20-2006, 07:12 AM   #10
crotalusadamanteus
Cantil huh. They are nice, and they really fascinate Me also. We have a couple here at our zoo. We also have a banded RR that I donated to them a few years back. Rocks are really hard to find in this area. Mostly I find them as road victims. US Stateside, I would have to go with the ridgenose being a favorite of mine as well. May have to do with the fact I've only found one in the wild, and never really "got My fix" of them. World wide, I have a thing for the Trimerasurus family. The few that I have seen caused this same drool you mentioned earlier. They are very cool looking.

As for the "poisonous" turtle. I do not know enough to make a claim on that one. Look at the poison dart frogs. Their toxins are developed from their diet, so is there some possibility in this happening???? I can't say. Now "venomous", I know there are not any around that I ever heard of. Many people do not know the difference between venomous and poisonous though.

As for critters........The weather here has been so screwwy, even I don't want to come out yet. LOL We have had a lot of wind and blowing dust from these storms that are dumping stuff up north. On the job I have seen the lizards coming out, but not one snake yet. My Texas Horned Lizard has not shown himself yet either. He lives in My yards somewhere and comes out in the spring/summer. Actually, the ants around here are barely waking up also. I have not actively looked yet though.

Here are the Crotalinae I can come up with...............

Agkistrodon
Atropoides
Bothriechis
Bothriopsis
Bothrocophias
Bothrops
Calloselasma
Cerrophidion
Crotalus
Deinagkistrodon
Gloydius
Hypnale
Lachesis
Ophryacus
Ovophis
Porthidium
Protobothrops
Sistrurus
Triceratolepidophis
Trimeresurus
Tropidolaemus
Zhaoermia

Now we need someone who REALLY knows this stuff to come and add the ones I am sure I left out.

Rick

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!