chameleon bedding - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-15-2005, 11:30 PM   #1
mike1124
Unhappy chameleon bedding

i have my chameleon in a sreen cage and have some reptibark i just saw him try to get a cricket and took in a piece of bark..will he be fine..contact as soon as possible.thank yo what should i change the bedding to??

Old 04-16-2005, 12:55 AM   #2
Dave W.
Howdy,

With a little luck he will pass the bark piece through his system.

Remove the substrate. The typical recommendation is no substrate for typical chameleons like Veileds, panthers, jackson's etc. Only the forrest floor dwellers should have substrate on the floor. If, for reasons, you need material on the floor then try something like newspaper and change it often.

Old 04-16-2005, 02:19 AM   #3
whitey4311
I second that. i use all natural Kellog organic dirt in my plants but nothing on the floors but maybe a wash cloth to absorb the extra water from the dripper. My chams still eat the dirt here and there but it is dirt and not bulky bark ect that will get imapacted. That bark will just collect bacteria any way since the humidity from the mist and feces are all on it.

Old 04-16-2005, 03:33 AM   #4
mike1124
thank you i was thinking of buying some moss is that good or should i just put a cloth as suggester.thank you for your replies

Old 04-16-2005, 08:24 AM   #5
kaykay
if you really wanted a substrate maybe you should consider bowl feeding so you dont have to worry about your chamy eating anything else he/she isnt suposed to.

Old 04-16-2005, 06:03 PM   #6
mike1124
that is what i started doing yesterday night but the crickets were coming out so i cut thei legs off..thanks for the though..

Old 04-16-2005, 08:00 PM   #7
whitey4311
LOL that is funny. I hope your kids dont ever run off, lol.
Heres a tip, when you dust your crickets with viatmins ect (which you should be doing) it sort of stuns the crickets and they drasically slow down and seldom jump. I put my crickets in a cut off sport water bottle with a stick that goes in it and up to the base of the tree. The crickets gradually figure out how to climb out and your cham will pick them off one by one.
The dusting is a good nutrious thing but it does really slow down the crickets, give it a try.
PS the best stuff that I have used and found out there is called "Rep-Cal" they sell 2 types that I use. Herptivite with Beta Carotene (chams can not process straight vit A which is found in most other supps), and calcium with D3. I use each 2 times a week and also Miner All O (with out D3) 2 times a week. This method allows for controlled levels of supplements and the one product with D3 is sort of a safety net to ensure they are getting enough for proper bone growth. The only truely better way to get it is via the sun. So if your chams dont see sunlight often its a nice precaution to use this. Mine go out at least 1-2 times a week and I still use the same methods.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!