Your opinion on Jaguar Carpet Pythons - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-09-2016, 06:06 PM   #1
lilgreenbee
Lightbulb Your opinion on Jaguar Carpet Pythons

Right now I'm looking for info on genes of reptiles which are either harmful or lethal. It is a topic that interests me and I'd like to learn as much as I can so I can write about it and share the info.

I'm currently looking for info on Jaguar Carpet Pythons specifically, especially from those who have kept them. But anybody is welcome to add information. I have some questions:

1. For those that you own, what subspecies or mix?
2. Does/do your Jag(s) display any neurological symptoms? If so, how severe? When is it worse?
3. If you own more than one, does one have more severe neurological symptoms than the other? Are they different Jaguar combo morphs? Are they related?
4. Do you have a Jaguar sibling that displays neurological symptoms?
5. Have you ever produced a Leucistic (super Jaguar)? If so, did it hatch? How long did it survive?
6. Have you ever produced a chimera from a Jag x Jag pairing? If so, how long did it survive?

Thanks for taking time to answer my questions.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:49 AM   #2
lilgreenbee
I also forgot to ask about its quality of life, and if it is able to eat, shed, and breed without much difficulty.

Old 02-10-2016, 11:48 AM   #3
derekroddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgreenbee View Post
1. For those that you own, what subspecies or mix?
I've bred close to 7 to 9 clutches of Jags. Coastal and outcrosses.

Quote:
2. Does/do your Jag(s) display any neurological symptoms? If so, how severe? When is it worse?
All Jags have neurological disorder, it comes with the gene. Some animals display it heavily some animals...almost nothing at all. ALL JAGS...when restrained will show symptoms.

Quote:
4. Do you have a Jaguar sibling that displays neurological symptoms?
No, The disorder is contained to the mutated gene.

Quote:
5. Have you ever produced a Leucistic (super Jaguar)? If so, did it hatch?
I all the clutches I had....never saw a leucistic...dead or alive.

Quote:
6. Have you ever produced a chimera from a Jag x Jag pairing? If so, how long did it survive?
No, and all of my Jag breedings were jag to jag.

Quote:
Thanks for taking time to answer my questions.
No worries,
D

Old 02-10-2016, 11:50 AM   #4
derekroddy
Quote:
I also forgot to ask about its quality of life, and if it is able to eat, shed, and breed without much difficulty.
Only seen a handful/very few (out of 1000s over the years of being in the hobby) that needed to be assist fed, etc. Overall, they're OK to work with. Not many issues.

D

Old 02-10-2016, 01:06 PM   #5
Big Borg Reptiles
I haven't bred them myself but agree with every other response Derek posted. I have a few different jags and they all have some level of neurosis. Even people who say there's don't, when I handle them I notice it immediately. Again, Derek covered pretty much everything but it's inherent to the gene. Some have it very bad and others not as much, but they're perfectly healthy other than acting goofy.

Old 02-10-2016, 01:13 PM   #6
lilgreenbee
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekroddy View Post
I've bred close to 7 to 9 clutches of Jags. Coastal and outcrosses.

All Jags have neurological disorder, it comes with the gene. Some animals display it heavily some animals...almost nothing at all. ALL JAGS...when restrained will show symptoms.

No, The disorder is contained to the mutated gene.

I all the clutches I had....never saw a leucistic...dead or alive.

No, and all of my Jag breedings were jag to jag.

No worries,
D
Thanks so much for your information!

Old 02-12-2016, 04:35 PM   #7
derekroddy
No worries,

D

Old 07-05-2016, 11:35 AM   #8
creatism123
Pretty much agree with Derek, this is my first year producing jags and all the ones I produced show little neuro. My male jag my wife doesn't see the neuro, I pick up on it immediately, he also waited till he was 4 yrs old to figure out he was a boy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
genetics, jaguar carpets, leucistic, morph