crested gecko breeding Q... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-17-2006, 01:28 AM   #1
Gex the Gecko
crested gecko breeding Q...

I have a pair of Cresteds currently housed in a 3.5 ft long by 3.5 foot tall by 1.5 ft wide cage. I also have a semi juvi in the tank as well, but hes not bothered by the other geckos at all. They seem to have more space then they know what to do with which is good i suppose, at night there REAL active. The mature male and female are being kept together year round as this tank could probally hold 6 males (i wouldnt try it of course) with out them ever desputing much due to it being like a mini bio sphere. I intend to breed them but was wonderig what i can do to stimulate them come spring when i intend to start atemptin to breed them. I hear misting is a must as is raising the temps a bit, but thats all im familar with. ANy help would be greatly appreciated

Old 01-17-2006, 01:34 PM   #2
Otter_23
Put them together, raise the temps and they will do the rest. I put a 40 watt bulb (thanks Monty) on the screen on top during the day and that helped in getting more consistent eggs (they were breeding but longer periods in between eggs). I spray them every night.
Mark

Old 09-25-2012, 04:10 PM   #3
AJaxx91
14hr of light 10hr or dark (Photo Period)
75-79F in the day 71-76F at night (Temperature)

Old 09-26-2012, 10:53 AM   #4
hadenglock
When i bred cresteds, i did absolutely nothing to induce breeding, no temp changes, no photo period changes, just keep a male and female together. You'll increase your chances of having pregnancy if you get more females though.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:32 PM   #5
Spyral
They pretty much will figure it out on their own, but if you live in an especially cold area you'll want to heat them in the spring to stimulate their appetites. If the female doesn't eat enough or get enough calcium, and their metabolism is slowed down by cool temps you might not get as many eggs as otherwise. Just don't go above 82 and provide a heat gradient so they can thermoregulate.

If you have them in a natural setup it might be really tough finding eggs to incubate. They may fail to develop or hatch in the terrarium and other geckos may eat them.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!