Crested Gecko Incubation Questions - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-09-2011, 12:21 PM   #1
louisanthonyjr
Crested Gecko Incubation Questions

I normally breed bearded dragons but my friend has a pair of crested geckos that just had eggs. I put them in my incubator at 80 degrees in moist vermiculite.

What are the ideal temps that the crested should be incubating at?

How long before they hatch?

Any other kind of special instructions??

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:05 PM   #2
zazurep
the can incubate at basically room tempurature around 75,anywhere between 70-80 degrees is ok. The hotter it is the faster they will hatch, i believe it is anywhere from 70-130 days. (but dont quote me on that) My suggestion would be to bring the temp down a little if possible, it will give them more time to develop and the babies will have a better chance of being healthy. They will more than likely be fine as i am sure many people incubate at 80degrees. But you arent really supposed to keep adults much warmer than 78. I personally incubate all of mine at 76, which i have found works best for me. (i hope that helps.) The vermiculite is also a very good choice, i dont personally use it, but many people do. as for special instructions, there really arent any, just make sure the eggs stay moist but are not wet, just like most other reptile eggs.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:13 PM   #3
Tink
Like Daurice said, 80 might be a little bit high for the eggs, we incubated ours at about 78 at the highest and they can hatch between 60-120 days. we didn't put our eggs in an incubator.. just in the reptile room on the snake racks and they stayed the perfect temp (another choice incase you cant get your incubator low enough..)

Also definitely make sure that the vermiculite isn't too wet, the eggs will mold if it is and won't hatch.

Hope you get pretty babies

Old 11-12-2011, 10:16 PM   #4
Gargoyle Queen
I personally incubate my crested eggs at 74 and they usually cook for around 80-90 days. As stated before, it's best to lower your temps to maximize development time. Cresteds that take longer to incuate will generally be larger, have thicker tails, bigger tail tips and better looking crests.

Good luck!

Old 11-27-2011, 05:30 AM   #5
Magical Geckos
i always incubate at room temp

Old 11-27-2011, 01:24 PM   #6
312Herps
I agree with Dennis, room temp seems to work well for me aswell when it comes to eggs, 75° during the day 69° at night.I keep my geckos at 80° during the day and 75° at night.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:22 PM   #7
AJaxx91
All above works...

I incubate at 78-79F
Superhatch
Humidity ~88% and up

Old 09-23-2012, 01:25 PM   #8
Untaimed
I incubate at 70-71 degrees on a mix of Perlite & Vermiculite (though either is just fine). I just place the eggs in a clean plastic Chinese food delivery container & vent it open once a week for fresh air.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:20 PM   #9
Spyral
I've been trying to keep mine cooler than room temperature.

I use moistened Repashy SuperHatch in a 6qt Sterilite shoebox style tub. I don't use air holes and I vent every night when looking for babies, otherwise once a week if I'm not expecting hatchlings.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:31 PM   #10
312Herps
after paying closer attention to my temps i have to say my night time temps are averaging about 65° and daytime temp is an average 71° direct air flow on the incubator and they hatch about 72 days.I only use Superhatch.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!