My baby cbb Surinam Horned frogs, I am happy to have them - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 04-02-2017, 03:15 AM   #1
Jawsofafrog
My baby cbb Surinam Horned frogs, I am happy to have them

As of this week I found some cbb babies of C. cornuta! I used to have an adult cbb I raised up and I took the plunge and purchased them again. Only one of three new frogs this week is eating, it happens to be the smallest of my frogs. You can see the baby C. cornuta eating a Phoenix worm. That marks two days in a row. My Brazilian is yet to feel comfortable enough to eat.

My Fantasy Horned frog who is eating like a beast:

Old 04-02-2017, 08:03 PM   #2
Dyscophus antongilii
They are all so cute, I just can't take it. I love all the picture's, thanks, for sharing them with all of us. Feel free to keep the photo's coming.

I am sure the other C. cornuta and the C. aurita will be eating soon. Are C. aurita "known to be pick eaters" like the C. cornuta can be in captivity?

Old 04-02-2017, 11:54 PM   #3
Jawsofafrog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyscophus antongilii View Post
They are all so cute, I just can't take it. I love all the picture's, thanks, for sharing them with all of us. Feel free to keep the photo's coming.

I am sure the other C. cornuta and the C. aurita will be eating soon. Are C. aurita "known to be pick eaters" like the C. cornuta can be in captivity?
Thank you Matt, they are very adorable! They are still settling in and are not used to the new environment. When I had a red Ornate as a teenager I bought for 40 dollars at a reptile show, it did not eat for a week. As a teenager I did not know any better and I gave it back to the shop and asked them to feed it for me since I was worried it did not eat. They later let me know it was eating and I could take it back, I was not smart as a kid and told them to keep it! Normally captive bred frogs are not picky. Only wild caught C. cornuta are known to be frog eaters. There is not enough information on C. aurita that I have read anything about their feeding habits. Here is an example, it took a little more than a week for my new Chinese Beauty snake who is 2-years-old to eat.. she was totally afraid of me and did not feel secure enough to eat. Now she is an attacker! I only acquired her in February this year.

Old 04-03-2017, 12:41 PM   #4
Bart
They look great congrats.. I find it pretty strange your frogs aren't eating. Every frog I have has been eating well since day one and I handle mine a lot. Are your temps and humidity in the right range? Cornuta need 80°-82° maybe 83° with 85% humidity and Aurita need 81°-83° with 80% humidity. It could be stress causing them not to eat but considering our frogs are related and how much mine are handled compared to how well they eat I doubt it. Good luck with them and if I can help with any info, I'm no expert but have a lot of experience, let me know.

Old 04-03-2017, 02:15 PM   #5
Jawsofafrog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart View Post
They look great congrats.. I find it pretty strange your frogs aren't eating. Every frog I have has been eating well since day one and I handle mine a lot. Are your temps and humidity in the right range? Cornuta need 80°-82° maybe 83° with 85% humidity and Aurita need 81°-83° with 80% humidity. It could be stress causing them not to eat but considering our frogs are related and how much mine are handled compared to how well they eat I doubt it. Good luck with them and if I can help with any info, I'm no expert but have a lot of experience, let me know.
I have a digital thermometer/hygrometer and it read 83 in my tubs lately and 67% humidity. The other day it was 85F in the tubs. I don't handle my frogs every day, I move them every other day. I placed a deli cup with a big cl shell in the cup if the chooses frog to eat the minno that is swimming in the deli cup. This is the bigger​ Aurita with the deli cup and fish. The Cornuta babies would need a much shallow deli cup for a fish.

Old 04-03-2017, 02:16 PM   #6
Jawsofafrog
Clam shell * typo

Old 04-04-2017, 10:35 PM   #7
Dyscophus antongilii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawsofafrog View Post
Thank you Matt, they are very adorable!
You are very welcome. They make my day/night.

Quote:
They are still settling in and are not used to the new environment.
That is true.

Quote:
When I had a red Ornate as a teenager I bought for 40 dollars at a reptile show, it did not eat for a week. As a teenager I did not know any better and I gave it back to the shop and asked them to feed it for me since I was worried it did not eat. They later let me know it was eating and I could take it back, I was not smart as a kid and told them to keep it!
Don't worry, you are in "good company". I sold my Pyxicephalus adspersus to "make space" for other animals. Now, I have spent the past fifteen years looking for another large male. So, we all make mistakes! I am still paying for mine however!!!!

Quote:
Normally captive bred frogs are not picky. Only wild caught C. cornuta are known to be frog eaters.
Thanks for that information. I had heard that. But, having never owned one, I was not sure if that information was correct. So, thank you, for confirming the above information.

Quote:
There is not enough information on C. aurita that I have read anything about their feeding habits. Here is an example, it took a little more than a week for my new Chinese Beauty snake who is 2-years-old to eat.. she was totally afraid of me and did not feel secure enough to eat. Now she is an attacker! I only acquired her in February this year.
Got ya regarding both species. That makes perfect sense, at least in my humble opinion.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:43 PM   #8
Jawsofafrog
I just have to be patient.. My frogs temperatures were 84 today. The humidity was 93%, I know it has nothing to do with my care.. ha ha they are moving around their tubs though. I was surprised to see my Brazilian Horned frog out near the water dish for the first time!

Old 04-05-2017, 08:40 PM   #9
Dyscophus antongilii
Quote:
I just have to be patient..
Yes, patience is a virtue. Or, something like that.

Quote:
My frogs temperatures were 84 today.
That sounds good, in my humble opinion.

Quote:
The humidity was 93%, I know it has nothing to do with my care..
I did not mean to insinuate that it was your care. The humidity sounds good too, in my humble opinion.

Quote:
they are moving around their tubs though.
That is always a good sign.

Quote:
I was surprised to see my Brazilian Horned frog out near the water dish for the first time!
, that is great news too.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:01 PM   #10
Jawsofafrog
Matt, I forget.. are you still keeping an African Bullfrog?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!