Boa overheating question - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-18-2013, 09:26 AM   #11
Snakesitter
Custom built based on a home automation system. That said, I think some of really high-end thermostats offer this function as well.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:33 PM   #12
MurdocksReptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakesitter View Post
Custom built based on a home automation system. That said, I think some of really high-end thermostats offer this function as well.
Gotcha', sounds nice.
Maybe if I win the loto!

Old 10-19-2013, 01:19 PM   #13
KORBIN5895
Thanks for this. I just tried to explain to someone the dangers of multiple enclosures controlled by a single probe t-stat.

Old 10-20-2013, 02:36 PM   #14
ShadowAceD
Quote:
Originally Posted by KORBIN5895 View Post
Thanks for this. I just tried to explain to someone the dangers of multiple enclosures controlled by a single probe t-stat.
Depends on the stat.

I have a Herpstat 4 controlling multiple stacks or racks in my room with one probe to each.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:26 PM   #15
KORBIN5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAceD View Post
Depends on the stat.

I have a Herpstat 4 controlling multiple stacks or racks in my room with one probe to each.
I think you misread what I wrote. I said a single probe thermostat controlling multiple enclosures. A herpstat 4 has four probes and four power zones. Therefore a herpstat 4 is good for four enclosures.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:18 PM   #16
ShadowAceD
Quote:
I think you misread what I wrote. I said a single probe thermostat controlling multiple enclosures. A herpstat 4 has four probes and four power zones. Therefore a herpstat 4 is good for four enclosures.
I didn't misread. I have seven Boaphiles on one Probe, a CB-70 rack on one probe, a 32/15qt rack on one probe and five APs on the last probe. It's designed for that so long as the caging and racks all use the same heating elements. 400.00 just to heat four enclosures would be a waste to me.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:58 PM   #17
KORBIN5895
So $400 on four cages is a waste to you? Yet you are willing to gamble the lives of six snakes (your boaphile run) on one heating source? That seems very foolish and super cheap to me.

I can understand a rack on one probe because it's usually one heat source for the whole rack but seven different enclosures and seven different heat sources on one probe I hope you have the snakes you don't like in the six unregulated cages.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:07 PM   #18
ShadowAceD
Quote:
So $400 on four cages is a waste to you? Yet you are willing to gamble the lives of six snakes (your boaphile run) on one heating source? That seems very foolish and super cheap to me.

I can understand a rack on one probe because it's usually one heat source for the whole rack but seven different enclosures and seven different heat sources on one probe I hope you have the snakes you don't like in the six unregulated cages.
When boas bite me and make me made they go in the cages they are more likely to be cooked in, yeah.

You wouldn't even be using a quarter of what each port can handle of you had one Boaphile, hence the 400.00 waste. At that point I should just buy a bunch of therms known for failure. The 18" flexwatt panel (which unregulated I have never seen get over like 101 and that was less common than upper 90s) is a whole 17 watts wheras each Herpstat 4 port can handle 300+. Every cage is plugged into the same high quality non-cheapo power strip which is then plugged into the Herpstat.

The Herpstat 4 also had an additional relay inside of it to fail in the off position. So, no, I have not taken the cheap route. The cheap route would have been Ranco or Helix.

Just using 3" or 4" flex is more dangerous than my decision to heat this way.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:15 PM   #19
ShadowAceD
It is six Boaphiles on a port as a correction to what I said earlier.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:48 PM   #20
KORBIN5895
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAceD View Post
When boas bite me and make me made they go in the cages they are more likely to be cooked in, yeah.

You wouldn't even be using a quarter of what each port can handle of you had one Boaphile, hence the 400.00 waste. At that point I should just buy a bunch of therms known for failure. The 18" flexwatt panel (which unregulated I have never seen get over like 101 and that was less common than upper 90s) is a whole 17 watts wheras each Herpstat 4 port can handle 300+. Every cage is plugged into the same high quality non-cheapo power strip which is then plugged into the Herpstat.

The Herpstat 4 also had an additional relay inside of it to fail in the off position. So, no, I have not taken the cheap route. The cheap route would have been Ranco or Helix.

Just using 3" or 4" flex is more dangerous than my decision to heat this way.
I completely understand the fact that most heat sources are way under the capacity load of the thermostats. I had flexwatt panels in a rack I never used so I can't comment on those. What I can comment on is the fact that there have been three reports this year of a single thermostat failing and cooking several snakes. It happens. I personally don't see why we recommend unsafe practices, especially to new people who may not understand how to avoid the major risks involved.

Also kudos on putting the mean ones in the unregulated cages as opposed to just letting them go in the woods like some people do.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!