Has Anyone heard of CatX? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:42 AM   #1
salottimc
Has Anyone heard of CatX?

Here is part of the story:

The “Categorical Exclusion” (CatX) proposed earlier this month by US Fish & Wildlife Service (FWS) is the single most dangerous threat ever fielded against herpetoculture! If enacted, CatX would pave the way for FWS to easily add species to the Injurious Wildlife list of the Lacey Act by waving due process under the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA). NEPA requires due process with science, economics and social impact considered prior to listing. CatX would eliminate NEPA mandated impact studies! -from United States Herpetoculture Alliance

Old 07-25-2013, 01:26 PM   #2
FireStorm
CatX could be a huge blow to our hobby, but it doesn't seem to be getting as much attention as I would have hoped. I encourage everyone to contact USFWS and voice your opinion. The deadline for public comment is July 31.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:15 PM   #3
Herps Alive!
The issue is that nobody is calling it CatX outside the industry, so nobody knows if it is a Lacey Act extension or a new video game. Finally moved onto the first page of Google search.
It could be devastating, but I don't see it happening based on my contacts. Still, we all need to submit comments against.

Old 07-29-2013, 05:37 AM   #4
lordhero3k
I want to bump this thread and am surprised more people aren't talking about it. And for anyone who wants to do something, I would like to direct you over to http://usherp.org/ and also here is "GeckoLandRadio" with a discussion about it http://www.blogtalkradio.com/geckola...esigner-geckos it may or may not happen but I still believe it is important to be aware of it's existence.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:05 PM   #5
Herps Alive!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordhero3k View Post
I want to bump this thread and am surprised more people aren't talking about it. And for anyone who wants to do something, I would like to direct you over to http://usherp.org/ and also here is "GeckoLandRadio" with a discussion about it http://www.blogtalkradio.com/geckola...esigner-geckos it may or may not happen but I still believe it is important to be aware of it's existence.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:32 PM   #6
Herps Alive!
Apparently they are extending the comment period which is generally a good thing. I will try to post more info when I can.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:23 PM   #7
Herps Alive!
My understanding is that there will be a 60-day extension, but that due to procedural stuff, comments may actually close (not be accepted) for a few days and then be reopened

Old 08-14-2013, 05:02 AM   #8
dfisch235
Real important topic!!
Prior to the extension, I did voice my opinions in the matter via the steps/links provided through usark.
I am an army vet who served in both Afghanistan and Iraq as an 11b. In my messages, I attempted to use that fact to our advantage by phrasing that,generally, our rights our that the many vets served to uphold are being trampled.on.
The reason why I bring this up, is because I feel that more veterans, who do keep reptiles safely and responsibly, should speak up and not be afraid to use their service to this country as leverage. This should be done in a firm, respectful, and articulate manner.
This is just my opinion and some may disagree with this use of service, but at this point we all have seen first hand that the government will proceed with bans and stricter laws which have the potential to kill the hobby.
So, I truly do.encourage other veterans to use this to our advantage.

Old 08-14-2013, 05:09 AM   #9
dfisch235
Forgot to add previously, these steps will take less than ten minutes of your time!!!

Old 08-16-2013, 09:54 AM   #10
Insidious
@dfisch235

I completely agree.
More often than not our military are moved around on a constant basis.
How is it fair that out of fear they would have to lose their pet fighting for freedom, while also being DENIED freedom.

I say use it away, you're the real government, anyway.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!