Turtle populations affected by climate, habitat loss and overexploitation - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:10 PM   #1
RSS_news
Turtle populations affected by climate, habitat loss and overexploitation

Although turtles have been on the planet for about 220 million years, scientists now report that almost half of the turtle species is threatened.

More...

Old 02-02-2011, 03:32 PM   #2
Amazon Exotics
i love how they point the finger at over exploitation.. for the pet trade lol..allow me to cut in .. how about if corperate america stops building strip malls were the poor animals reside, turtles don't dig nest in cement . so obviously the less free range land they have to find suitable nesting sites, the less nest are going to be dug . the further an further appart disfunk populations become due to new roads being built everywere you look.. fields were they lay are now becoming a gontlet to get to, keep in mind they have to cross the roads during their breeding season to find suitable mates and sunny nest sites to lay their presious eggs.. not to mention native predators that relish turtle eggs, raccoons ,coyotes in 1997 some 10,000 coyotes were killed in pa alone. in 2007 the number rose to over 27 ,000 killed by hunters across the state thats alot of predatory mouths looking for food during the midsummer laying season. mmm turtle eggs foxes , ect ect.. . it's no wonder the turtle populations are suffering built cosways under the roads for them to travel underneith the roads ,funnel known populations towards these underground cosways for them to get to the other side of the road safely it just take alittle more hard work,.to make a road safe for turtles to travel instead of scraping them off the highway !! , same with alot of our amphibians ..it's not just turtles and it's not over collecting.. it's the simple fact that hundreds of acres of land are turned into parking lots across america every yr. and the deptment of enviromental protection.. what r they protecting?? or arrest deer poachers.. guess what we could use a few less deer in the state of pa. no matter how u slice it.. they rather harrass us while we are trout fishing .lol we the people don't do enough of what it takes to co-exist .. i'm sorry but this urks me to no end.. i got a solution how about corperate america be charged a conservation fee a million bucks . before groundd breaking, sounds fair for conservation. right . so teams of scientics and biologist can come in and clean the land, save some of the lives of those unfortunate to live were the next big mall is blue printed to be.. they were here first... it simply doesn't matter to the corperate executives that purchase the land , clear the trees , doze the contour the way they need it for their condos, their malls ,their parking lots , and it's just too bad.. they point the finger at a few people that go out and field collect a pet for they children.. go figure .. so what if threatened species reside here.. we are building 50 housing units here like it or not.. can uyou try and save some hell no! . somethings got to give, either do something to change... it or stop complaining about it it's wildlife everywere not just turtles that are suffering . me i'm just a guy in pa that enjoys the woods and observing wildlife, turtle populations around me , i enjoy tossing them worms... stop by and give them an easy meal once in a while you might find simple pleasure in doin so .. people need to stop and smell the roses..and state by state the d.e.p. need to step it up a notch. instead of sitting back and watching the enviroment get destroyed mall by mall .......how about over mall building is affecting wildlife populations worldwide ...not over collecting fo rthe pet trade . who needs this pond here.. lets fill it and put up a mall.. so people have more places to go out and eat , more places to go shopping more trees being cut down less oxygen for us to breeth morwe need more smog thatsrite, more roads being built more coyotes being stocked, no ones wants to admit it, but here in pa. over the past 10 yrs or so , we got alot more wild populations of mountan lions than ever. more now, than anytime in pre recorded hystory... sinnamohony, frankiln, bruin , tionesta,oil city, mercer co. in millvale a few yrs. back a black mountain lion was spotted in the back yard of a elderly woman in cherry city it was all over the radio for a day or so and hushed up never got on t.v never got in the apers, but the fish and wildlife was called out the d.e.p. and a buch of police were called out for those that have no clue were that is its a very populated suburb of millvale,pa heavily populated with people . or how about the one in sewickly. last yr i wouldn't be concerned about the black bears.. i'd be more concerned about the 200 lb preditory black mountain lion that you don't see rumors have it that a few breeding pair were stocked to control coyote populations .lol. unfortunatly they fill 2 different nitches.. well i better quit before i get more red points on my profile... get educated and get pro active or get dozed over.. thanks for listening have agreat day..

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!