Coconut fibre as humid hide substrate - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-27-2004, 10:47 PM   #1
gothra
Question Coconut fibre as humid hide substrate

I am currently using sphagnum moss, but some of my geckos have problems of eating the moss while shedding; so I am considering switching to coconut fibre. I bought both the BIO MAT and the Coconut Fibre Potting Medium from Beanfarm; just wondering which one is better for humid hide substrate?

Old 12-27-2004, 11:37 PM   #2
Xelda
Aren't they both essentially the same thing, in the expandable brick form? I've tried Beanfarm's generic brand as well as Bed-a-beast. The only difference I can make is that Beanfarm's brand smelled like medicine but it eventually went away after a few weeks.

Old 12-27-2004, 11:41 PM   #3
progeckos
I use coconut fiber in my leos egg laying tubs. It’s very easy to use and holds moisture pretty good. Of the two you mentioned I would say the Bio Mat would be the best to use.

Old 12-28-2004, 06:02 PM   #4
dragonflyreptiles
I use to use the coconut fiber with no problems but vermiculite is easier for me to get in larger qty so I use it now.

Old 12-29-2004, 04:15 AM   #5
gothra
The Bio Mat package says the material can be washed and is reusable; so, about how long do you need to replace it? Say if I wash it once a week, then throw it away every 6 weeks, that's good enough?

I bought the expandable brick form one too, but I haven't tried mixing it with water yet, how often do you need to replace this one?

Thanks for the replies.

Old 12-29-2004, 04:54 AM   #6
KelliH
Peat moss works great too.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!