Snakes are dirty creatures... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:44 PM   #1
blackandblue_lulu
Snakes are dirty creatures...

I'm tired of hearing this... I'm tired of hearing the stupid people who know nothing complain about my passion.... My whole year is ruined because the people around me won't help support me.

Because I'm lazy I am going to repost my Facebook post, but the snakes I was getting was Lesser and Mojave both breeders and a great way to start out, I have all the equipment and now it's over before it even started.

"Was hoping to make some extra money getting into snake breeding, selling my white snakes for $1,500-$2000.1.) Mother doesn't want anything to do with it, even though she would never see, hear or even know unless I had told her they were there. She tells me she has no reason except no. This meant a lot to me, as I was trying to expand my reptile experience and possibly have some extra income to pay off my horrible school loans. The story goes My cousin is living in the house I have been waiting to rent out with some of my friends, there I wouldn't have to deal with mother's approval. I found the two genetics I needed (tryin to make this simple) to produce a white snake. The people were nice enough to put them on hold till now, it's been 3 months, and I thought I would be able to get them by now, I've saved up a lot of money working at Black and Decker second shift stressing out so I can get around a "just because I said" reply from my mother. Jumping through these hoops and expecting cousin to be out by now, he recked his car and lost his job... so he is still there. My only other option is to move out and get an apartment 2.) I don't have enough money to get an apartment currently because boy friend didn't get hired yet. So now I am stuck... I will have to tell the people that I cannot purchase their snakes. Its really quite annoying and I cannot understand why.. if it were cute little puppies mom would have probably said yes. The stupidity of the people in this world never seizes to amaze me. I know this doesn't sound like something you would get upset over, but hey... I'm Mariah Shoaff... and this is what I care about. Art and Animals. Mom says concentration on school... when it doesn't take but once a week to feed them and a few seconds to check temperatures. I work really hard at school anyways... I know how to manage time... this is NOT something that would slow me down... now spending all this time trying to get around people who say "no just because I have no reason just no" is wasting my time. I'm 20, and i've proved her wrong before with my pet rats. "Oh they will get out"!!! ... guess what didn't happen! They NEVER got out, she NEVER saw them... this is the same concept. Just because it's a snake... that's why. It's almost racist if you think about it. Who cares though.... but there, that is why my year is ruined. And I have another thing to hate people for."

I guess there is not much that can be helped... I'm going to have to cancel the sales once I stop crying and move on. I really wanted to get into this...
Why can't they see snakes for how I see them...

Old 10-29-2012, 07:56 PM   #2
Lucille
It doesn't really matter why she does not want snakes in her home, it's HER HOME.
I left home at 16, I think I was 19 when I got to Texas, got a roommate, found an apt., got a job, and bought horses, something I had always wanted to do but is tough to manage in NYC.
Some day, with some education from you in a gentle way, she may accept reptiles. Or not. It's her choice.
Good luck, I'm hoping that you do get an apartment soon and follow your dreams and get some snakes. This isn't a stop, it is just a pause.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:08 PM   #3
blackandblue_lulu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
from you in a gentle way, she may accept reptiles. Or not. It's her choice.
Good luck, I'm hoping that you do get an apartment soon and follow your dreams and get some snakes. This isn't a stop, it is just a pause.
Thank you. I just have to be patient, "good things come to those who wait." I guess.

But going to these reptile shows kills me!! I just want to take everything home, and I cannot.

all in good time... my house will be overrun! WHAHAH

Old 10-29-2012, 11:44 PM   #4
Pythonbreeder99
My mother was dead against me keeping reptiles. I sat down with her every chance i got and just told her cool facts about snakes/reptiles. Showed her countless pictures of countless species. I specifically remember being in the Bronx zoo reptile house at about age 11 looking at a rhino viper (a very nice one at that) and she took a glance and turned away and said "ew" so I turned around and told her to look at it, she replied with "I did look at it" and I said "no you didnt, LOOK at it, look at the colors." She said that was the moment I turned her into a reptile fan lol.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:42 AM   #5
blackandblue_lulu
I am going to take her to this weekend's local reptile show, maybe that will change her mind... I haven't cancelled the order yet.
I made a whole power point presentation with facts and bribes. I told her I'd even make payments on the electricity and a monthly pet fee. I told her she could take my car away and phone if it got out. I will be moving away soon anyways, but not soon enough to have them keep holding the snakes.

I just don't want to let anyone down.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:51 AM   #6
blackandblue_lulu
The power point

WHY
you should say
“YES!”

10 reasons to own a snake!

#1 You’ll get your money back!
the snakes cost $200 but produce up to 6 eggs at the end of the breeding season in April.
(( I lied a bit on the prices here))
There is a ¼ chance to get a white snake called a blue eyed leucistic. That sells for $1,500-$2,000 depending on what sex it comes out to be, females are worth more because they hold the greater chance for that gene showing up again.
If they come out normal (wild type) $100, mojave $250, Lesser $350! You’ve already got your money back!

#2 There is nothing
to worry about!
Ball pythons are the smallest breed of python available reaching only 4’ in length.
They are usually curled up in a ball anyways so they don’t take up a lot of space.
AND one of the most non aggressive snakes!

I TAKE FULL RESPONSIBLILITY IF THE SNAKE WERE TO ESCAPE THE ENCLOSURE! This is not common now a days since people are not using tanks to keep the snakes in.
we pad lock them and keep them in under a sealed tight lid, this is to keep the hydration above 60% for healthy shedding!
I would never put our family in harms way, you can trust me I’ve done my research!

#3 I will give you something in return!
((I go to college full time and work second shift, so doing extra stuff is really sacrificing something))
I am willing to make a monthly payment such as $40-$60 to insure my responsibility as a pet owner. Just like any apartment building would do!
I am willing to pay for a portion of the electrical bill if you feel concerned.
I will wake up early and clean the house before I go to school.
I will be willing to give up my CAR and PHONE and the snakes if anything goes wrong or if I do not follow my requirements.

#4 You can learn something new!
There is much you may not know about snakes!
We can learn something new every day!
Everyone loves to learn, and you are already smart!
If you don’t want to be around them, then I will be expanding my education for FREE! No college payments needed, just personal study! Isn’t that great that we don’t have to pay for everything!

#5 You’ll never have to see them!
Luckily since the snake is so small, and doesn’t need a giant aquarium with clear glass as a habitat, there is not an easy way for you to see these snakes even if you found the container.
Ball pythons are a timid snake, they like to hide and find warmth, this is another reason we don’t use aquarium tanks. They would feel insecure if you could see them too. And they don’t mind the dark so they can be put any where.
They are also quiet, they aren’t noisy and annoying when you want a piece of mind.

#6 They can be left alone
Snakes are curious, but not attention seeking for affection.
If I am at school all week the snake won’t get mad at me or yell at everyone.
I won’t expect anyone to baby sit the snake.
After they feed or go into shed snakes need their privacy, because in the wild they are most venerable at these points.
I never have to take it out if I don’t want to (I will, but never around you).

#6 No suprises with babies!
Ball pythons take a long time to get pregnant.
In the wild they search all year long to find a mate, Africa is a big place.
If the female did get pregnant, the eggs take 2 months to be laid, and 55 days to hatch!

#7 It will only be for a short time
Time will pass before you know it and your little girl will have her own apartment and on her own.
It shouldn’t take to long before I can remove them from your home.
Within a month or maybe even days you would forget I had them…
Even if I don’t take grandparents house, I will move out when Andy starts getting more income.

#8 It could bring us closer together
Maybe if you see that I can take care of something without your help or worry I can earn your respect.
Maybe I can earn Mike’s respect.
Maybe you will learn to trust me.
I will be able to stay in your home a little longer and save up money for college even faster with this plan.
I am not doing this alone, Andy wanted to help, and has been the only person who knew I wasn’t crazy or dumb.

#9 I’ve proved you wrong before
Can you believe that I owned the rats for 4 years?
I never had to ask for your help with them.
And they weren’t so bad were they? ♥
You never saw them and it wasn’t your problem.
Now, snakes are MUCH cleaner than birds, fish, and rodents. Since they only feed once a week.
They don’t require as much maintenance in general.
This time the wait will be even shorter for the animal to leave your home.

#10 I love you
I love you more than anything in the world Mom. Nothing is going to change that.
I really think that this would make me happy, it will probably be the last thing I ask from you beside my weekly gas money.
I appreciate every thing you’ve done for me little and big, from bringing me into this world, raising me right, and just being there every day for me.
I know you are busy, and you have a lot of problems going on right now, this doesn’t have to be one.
Just trust me and let me take resposiblilty.

Thanks for listening, that’s the greatest thing I can receive from a parent!

Old 10-30-2012, 08:26 AM   #7
Teatime
The powerpoint was cute and amusing, hopefully you made her smile a few times with it. I did notice that you said she pays for your gas money, though... are you expecting her to shell out all the money for these snakes, the set-up, their food, etc? That could be why she doesn't want to. You're expecting a return on the investment but nothing in snake breeding is ever that certain or everyone would be doing it for some quick money.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:30 AM   #8
Teatime
Oh, I think I missed the bit about your job at Black and Decker. But still, if you've got to ask your mom for gas money even though you have a job, she probably doesn't see you as very responsible with your money...

Old 10-30-2012, 09:07 AM   #9
rcarichter
I'm a mom of grown children, but I used to be you. Now I have my own home (with my family), and, yes, I buy whatever reptiles I want. But, some very important things happened first:

1. I was able to pay for everything else first (gas, food, utilities, loans, furniture, insurance, repairs, clothes, toiletries, appliances, medicine, and on and on.)

2. This is important: You will not sell a fraction of the reptiles you plan to sell. Ask anyone. This is NOT a way to pay bills. It's a hobby, that might for itself on a very good month, but mostly will not.

Sorry to be pessimistic; this is the reality. Please be patient. There will be more white snakes. I probably saw 20 at our last show. Some sold, some didn't.
So put this on the back burner, and learn as much as you can about the hobby. Some day, hopefully, you'll be in a position to make your dream purchases.

Noelle

Old 10-30-2012, 09:32 AM   #10
blackandblue_lulu
My college is an hour away from home, I have it 5 times a week.. that's why she helps pay for gas. My mother and father are divorced, so I get child support. That's the gas money. She always pays for my clothes and food. I would never ask her to pay for the snakes, I have the money to care and purchase them.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!