Doc's Exotics, Oklahoma - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 02-06-2005, 02:00 AM   #1
Iloveboids
Doc's Exotics, Oklahoma

I'm writing this because I want to warn anyone who may meet up with this guy before they get screwed.

His name is Doc and he works from the back of a sales store in Tulsa, Oklahoma. He's an extremely sweet guy, but he would screw his own mother over, if it meant another dollar in his pocket. He has alot of stock come through his place (burms, retics, corns, rats, hondurans, BPs, RTB, Blue-tongued skinks, water dragons, iguanas, etc.) and even does a little breeding of his own. He advertises his animals as being "the cleanest in the united states". Well...we'll get to that later.

I originally saw an ad in the newspaper for burms. That's where most of my interest lies and I called to see what he had. He was offering albino burms for 150 and I thought I could save on shipping, so I went to take a look. His animals were kept in tiny tanks (he even had a 12+ foot albino male in a 30 gallon tank, yikes!). I was sceptical at first...but he had some larger cages around and his story having just sold the albino burm's cage passed as acceptable. Besides, he removes all animals from the facility at night...I thought. Having picked a cute, clean, little albino male, I headed for the cash register. At that moment, he mentioned a green burm that was coming in on a flight from missouri. I jumped at the possiblity of adding a green to my collection and withdrew from the albino deal. About 2 hours later, the green arrived. He was soooooo beautiful. The price was $200 straight out...and ended up being $226 after tax (he didn't mention that). But, I had the cash and was stoked to get such an awesome green male. Note, this green hadn't been at his facility for longer than 3 minutes before I took him home (this will come back to play later in my story).

Weeks later, I needed to move a normal male breeder. A friend of mine a few states away offered me $180 for him...but I decided to save on shipping and see if Doc didn't want him. I let him go for $100 in credit. Apparently, I waited a little too long to go rummaging through his stock...because he called and told me he sold my breeder for $80(WHAT?!?). He renigged his deal for $100 credit down to $80 (uh huh...I think he made a REALLY good turn-over there, no?). Knowing that he was probably going to try and screw me again, I immediately scheduled a day to finalize our deal by cash or trade. I came in and sat down to negotiate. Apparently, I came across as stupid because he offered me a male black rat snake. When I told him that I wasn't sure the retails were anywhere near matching...he added that the rat was het for albino. I asked him what percentage...and he told me 72% (hm...must be a new one). I told him I didn't think I really wanted the black rat. He then offered me a corn snake. When I inquired about the retail of them...he fervently told me that corn snakes retailed for $100+. Another new bit of information. I finally took cash and went home.

As you can see, Doc figures most people for idiots. This is why I recommend no one go to him.

At a local herp meeting, I met with a young man who'd purchased a couple of BP's from him (he paid $300 for two). The young man thought he'd gotten a good deal because Doc "has the cleanest animals in the U.S." When I told him he'd really been had, I saw tears well up in his eyes. Apparently, his balls had mites, ticks, worms and some sort of spinal defect and a few days after taking them home...they died. He'd gone back to Doc who refused to acknowledge that he'd sold them to the poor guy...but reminded him of the "no guarantees" deal he made when buying them.

It broke my heart but I went home and made an appt with our vet to have my green checked out (like I said, he hadn't been in his facility but 3 minutes...but I wanted to make sure). We had a couple of fecal tests run to make sure he was clean. He was. No mites, ticks, worms, spinal defects or outward injuries. I attribute this to us getting him right when he arrived.

Considering everything I've gone through with Doc, I would not recommend him to anyone. It took me living here 19 years to find him...but it may not take others that long. His animals are kept in minimalistic condiions that do not promote extremely healthy creatures. A smile and a handshake will only cover the buyer until they walk out the door...he holds no responsibility for anything he's done in the past or will do in the future. Looking back, my purchase was extremely risky (considering what it could have done to my stock) and I will not risk the health of my stock to save on shipping. I was extremely lucky. Anyone thinking about going to Doc, please learn from my experience and the experience of the young man who lost his ball pythons. It's not worth it. Please feel free to contact me at Iloveboids@aol.com if you have any questions. I'd be more than happy to answer them.

Sam

Old 02-07-2005, 12:57 PM   #2
RobertW
I think I know who your talking about. He sells alot of ball pythons and such out at the traffic circle Flea Market as well... He buys wild caught imports and trries to pass them off as CBB... There are MANY people here in Tulsa who have been ripped by this guy. The truly unfortunate thing is that people go buy without the proper research and/or info from legit sources about what they are looking for. The fela market is a [place where the impulse buy is pretty much all you get and it makes it easy for guys like this to do thier dirt.

Later,
\Robert Wood

Old 02-07-2005, 03:26 PM   #3
Westsider13
Doc

I have not dealt with Doc but I did meet him at hte flea market. A buddy of mine told me about him. So I made the trip and found his booth. I was new to reptiles and was looking for something for my 4 yr old son. I had done some research and reading. When I started asking numerous questions origin, health, guarntee and such Doc completely turned away from me. Lucky for me I guess. I am glad I did my homework or this might have happened me.

Kevin Lane

Old 03-15-2007, 11:53 PM   #4
Rescue_Herps
news on this guy

an individual I know that frequents the 'traffic circle' recently contacted us to go get a snake from the flea market. He was on the ground being kicked and stepped on. he was covered in mites, ticks, had scale rot (still has- thats a "female dog" to get rid of), a horrible URI that we've been treating now for almost 2 months, and incredibly emaciated. you know when an overweight person loses a lot of weight- theres extra skin- thats what the snake has. we had to pull the skin out from between his ribs- EVERY RIB and used pounds of paper towels to wipe the mites off. we spent close to 7 hours cleaning this snake up. pulling ticks from eye sockets- eyes were sunk in- wiping mites out from between every rib, trimming back some of the rotten scales that were catching on everything. He's eaten 7 very very large rabbits in the few months we've had him and has gained a whopping 11 lbs!!!! we're so excited. he's almost 12 ft. long and a true sweet heart. The guy ened up getting evicted from his building down on sheriden and 21st (31st?)- he's now moved to a new store on admiral. - closer to my house of course!!!!! grrrrrrr i did step in his store a few days ago wearing my reptile rescue shirt (oops *wink wink*) and took a look around- he told me i had to have a permit to advertize a non-incoorperated "buisness". He's full of crap and needs to be shut down- I told him when i was there that when he finally got shut down- i had more than enough room in my facility to house the animals that would be taken from him. and I can't wait!!!! I'm desperatly looking for a way to shut his store down- definatly would have been gone long ago for animal cruelty but reptile laws around here are crap! so theres not much to do but wait- and i have ended up with A LOT of his animals after people buy them and don't know what wrong- my vet has made a living off fixing this idiots animals!!!
Beth
I tried to run an ad in the paper about his animals- they wouldn't print it....

Old 03-16-2007, 02:29 AM   #5
slartibartfast
I've been in there too, bought a few feeders from the girl that used to be partnered up with him.

He keeps his ball pythons in screen-topped glass enclosures, 5-6 snakes in a 20g tank, with no hides. When I asked him why he didn't use hides, he told me "Honey, that makes 'em mean". He also sold me for $50 an emaciated scarred up male ball python with a scab instead of a right eye and multiple layers of stuck on shed. He probed it in front of me and told me it was a female (it wasn't). I know I shouldn't have bought it, but I managed to walk away from it one week, and saw it still there the next week when I went in again and couldn't leave it there to die. It was over three feet long and weighed 550 grams. It has since eaten well for me, shed successfully, and is up to 850 grams. The oozing scab on its eye came off with the next shed and it has an eye underneath, albeit a bit scarred. He told me that he had received the snake in a trade in that condition. However, he had also immediately offered it for sale in the crowded public tanks, so who knows...

He also has sold under the store name "Animal Arts". He is totally sleazy. He's one of those guys that will come up to you (if you are female) and stand just a little too close, patting you condescendingly on the arm. He's done it to me and several other girls I know (but only the pretty ones). I regret giving him money for the ball python, but I am glad that the snake is no longer in his care.

Also, and I can't verify this, but I described the store to a friend who was curious about it and wanted to see the creepiness for himself...he went to the 25th & Memorial and called me to tell me that it had been shut down and that the landlord was there locking it up and saying Doc had skipped out on rent and owned him thousands of dollars. I cannot verify this, but the guy who told me about it was describing it to me minutes after the conversation with the landlord and had no reason to invent it.

Old 03-16-2007, 09:53 AM   #6
ReptileEmpire
My wife and I noticed that place a few weeks ago. We pulled in, took one look through the window and left. I didn't even want to risk walking into the store because of the possible mites or diseases that I could bring home with me. I reported it to the county, they are the only ones I have ever found around here that would actually do anything involving reptiles. I haven't heard anything back, but I will try to get hold of someone again about it.

Casey Tevebaugh

Old 03-16-2007, 12:31 PM   #7
Rescue_Herps
true

the story about him being evicted is true- i send my friends as spies up to check on him- he told them that he was done- he hated the landlord and was quitting the buisness- not long after that on my way home- i passed a store on admiral - think between memorial and sher. that said docs exotics in HUGE letters with an albino burm painted around it- thats when i went in with my rescue shirt on. hehehe.
he is a freak- he does the standing too close thing to me all the time- my husband told him to back off once- i thought someone was going to jail- my hubby is my body guard- hes 6 ft and 350 lbs- crush doc like a flea.

i also used to get rodents from that lady- long before i knew she was with doc- the last load i got- half of them were still alive- she said she gasses them and vacume seals the package- yup- not enough gas- the packages were squeeking the whole way home- when i cut it open half of them moved- a few mice actually got up and ran across my table- that was a feat trying to catch them!! i shop at rodent pro now.- they're all dead- and much cleaner- and they dont smell like they've been dead a week
anyway- i'm very interested in shutting this guy down- i'm looking into a few things but i want to make sure i have my ducks in a row first- i dont want animal control to take them and kill them- thats pointless..... i'll let you know what i find out- or what i think i can do...
Beth

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!