Question regarding CBW Permit for Indian python... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-28-2006, 03:13 AM   #1
Pink Lady Exotics
Question Question regarding CBW Permit for Indian python...

I know I would need a CBW permit to purchase an Indian/Sri Lankan python and have it shipped to me (and the seller would need one as well), but does this apply to crosses? I have a chance to get a young female Indian x burm cross and the seller says I wouldn't need the permit because it isn't 100% full Indian, only half. Is there any truth to this? I don't want to end up making a mistake or breaking a law.

Old 12-28-2006, 04:01 AM   #2
hhmoore
That is my understanding, as well...though I haven't had an interest in such things for some time, I did at one point familiarize myself with the requirements/processes.
Of course, that bears the question how is the inspecting officer supposed to know that it is a cross (or that it isn't, for that matter)? To the best of my knowledge, there is no other documentation (as far as purity) required.

The other part of this is that the pure form can be sold within the state (it is interstate commerce that is regulated), so if you can find them where you are...

Old 12-28-2006, 04:07 AM   #3
Pink Lady Exotics
I haven't found any Wisconsin breeders that have Indian/Sri Lankan pythons (they're now considered one and the same right?), and I wouldn't trust a pet store to know the difference between one of those and a burmese python (not to mention they charge absurd prices for not-so-well-kept animals). This one is pretty much an adoption from someone in another state that is finding homes for their pet snakes -- the story given is the usual "Having a baby, wife says all the snakes have to go" kind of thing. She's a beautiful girl that I really like, but want to make sure everything is in order on both ends before I go through with it.

Old 12-28-2006, 04:30 AM   #4
hhmoore
as an adoption - as long as there is no exchange of money, goods, or services - I believe it could be considered a gift...which would not require federal permits as there is no "commerce" taking place. I would check with the USFWS on the applicable standards, as that would certainly ----- oh never mind, lol, the animal in question is a cross...that slipped my mind once we started on the subject of permits. Sorry.

Old 12-28-2006, 04:58 AM   #5
Pink Lady Exotics
LOL! It's 4am, you're excused.

The guy is selling his animals so I do have to pay, but he just isn't a commercial breeder or anything...I think I'm going to e-mail US F&W anyway just to make sure I don't need it (or do).

Old 12-28-2006, 05:59 AM   #6
SIRS
you dont need a permit for crosses
well when i bought my indianxburm i was told i didn't
and i had no problems

Old 12-28-2006, 10:47 AM   #7
paulh
I was once told that Indian x Burm crosses look so much like pure Indians that they were covered under the lookalike provisions of the protection laws. But I'd check with the appropriate feds to be sure.

Old 01-01-2007, 11:53 AM   #8
High End Herps Inc
Ceylonese and Indian pythons within driving distance

I have heard a rumor that breeding colonies of both species will be established and reproduced in every state and thus available to everyone within just a few years.

2 years for ceylonese

3 to 4 years for indians

It's what I hear anyway

Tawni Beauchemin

Old 01-01-2007, 11:54 AM   #9
High End Herps Inc
Ceylonese and Indian pythons within driving distance

I have heard a rumor that breeding colonies of both species will be established and reproduced in every state and thus available to everyone within just a few years.

2 years for ceylonese

3 to 4 years for indians

It's what I hear anyway

Tawni Beauchemin

Old 01-01-2007, 02:27 PM   #10
Pink Lady Exotics

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!