Bad Guy Alex Smith - lexxxx30 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 10-25-2015, 02:14 PM   #1
bigcountry
Alex Smith - lexxxx30

I purchased 1.1 Adult S. Brazilian Boas from Alex Smith, username here: lexxxx30.

He posted an ad about the fore mentioned snakes and I have been looking for some from specific bloodlines. He told me the history, and I confirmed it. I realized we were facebook friends, so I began messaging him about the snakes.

In addition to speaking on the phone, we messaged via facebook as this is my preferred method as there is a record.

I paid for the snakes and he shipped them on Tuesday, October 20th. When I inquired for a tracking number, he would not provide me with it and just to me to relax. I asked him which method he shipped, and he said he thought by 12 noon, which is not an option.

He actually picked UPS next day saver, which in my opinion dealing with animals is unacceptable. It can heat up on that metal box truck real fast. I am friendly with my UPS driver and know his route somewhat, so I drove around for 20 minutes until I found the UPS driver and asked if I could go ahead and get the package.

After learning that he shipped next day saver, and talking to several snake keeper friends, i decided to photograph as i opened the box.

It was NOT an insulated box, just a regular box and had 3 round cushy foam on top, then some bubble wrap folded underneath, then the snakes, then just a small amount of bubble wrap and underneath that, thin sheets of ridged cardboard.

I unpacked the 1st snake, the female and immediately I noticed her mouth was not closed completely. On each side it looked like she was either healing up or getting some sort of infection from mouth rot or some sort of abscess.

She also had a little big of a gurgle/crack when she breathed. I immediately messaged Alex and he did not respond and unfriended me.

The male also had some cracking/gurgle when he breathed but Alex had stated he was in shed. The male shed last night, and the cracking/gurgling is still then when breathing.

This transaction has been a huge disappointment and these snakes were not cheap or a throwaway, despite Alex treating them as such. I wish he would've been forthcoming about the issues as now I most likely going to have to take both snakes to the vet.

Did I get what I paid for? I believe absolutely not. Alex has recently sold some other animals and has a few others for sale, I would be very cautious about buying from him. He short cuts on the shipping, which along is pretty pathetic. On top of this, he will not disclose any issues the snakes have.

Please do yourself a favor and avoid.

Here are pics. 1st the shipping box.

Photos of the female, the mouth looks worse in person than the photos depict:

Old 10-25-2015, 02:14 PM   #2
bigcountry
Conversation from Facebook

Old 10-25-2015, 03:05 PM   #3
RaceSanchez
Is Alex in Cali ?

I had a snake come from ups and showed at 7pm !!

Late October and or any time of the year, always have insulation in the box. Dont matter who the shipper is! If it was 47deg at receiver end, animals should of been properly shipped with care that of heat packs with ventilated box. Doing it for 20 years and Not knowing temps and time zones is raises a red flag- just saying...

Jason, Maybe Alex can cover vet fees if it comes down to this ?

Good luck and thanks......................

Old 10-25-2015, 03:44 PM   #4
bcr229
I thought it was against UPS's policy to ship snakes through them, which is why they have to go FedEx?

Old 10-25-2015, 03:50 PM   #5
JAtoynatan
I wasn't going to post about my experience with this seller because I thought our dealings might have been unique. It doesn't seem like thats the case so I'll share my story.

I purchased a Varanus salvator bivittatus from Alex Smith, or lexxxx30, of http://www.aliannaspetworld.com/ on October 14th for $250 shipped. Everything was going smoothly and I was pleased with our interaction. I was notified that the animal would ship out next day on Oct 15th for arrival on Oct 16th.

He then notified me that he "f*cked up" the shipping and it would be sent via UPS ground which would take five days. I understand mistakes happen but on the shipping receipt he provided I saw that he shipped this lizard as DRY GOODS. This situation would never have occurred if the lizard was shipped appropriately.. and frankly, legally. When I was notified of this I requested a refund bc this mistake could open a whole can of worms and I wanted to work it out quickly. He responded no and that if the animal had passed by the time it arrived he would refund me and pay for shipping back.. I reluctantly agreed.

To make matters worse, UPS lost the package. When I called UPS and opened an investigation I informed them of what the package contained and they claimed the animal might have expired and wasn't shipped to my door bc of this.. I'm assuming they meant bc the package smelled and they were made aware to its contents. I'm not sure that was the case but regardless its now the 25th and I have not received the package- which I'm sure now contains a deceased lizard. I of course contacted Alex on the 22nd telling him that the package didn't arrive and that I wanted a refund that day. No refund was issued on the 22nd. I opened a claim with paypal on the 23rd after he didn't respond or do what he promised.

On the 23rd he called me and we had a very unpleasant conversation in which he referred to me as a 'son of a bitch' and that this mistake wasn't his fault and that he couldn't give me a refund bc of an issue with paypal. Again, its now the 25th and still no refund.

I would sincerely urge everyone to not do business with the seller bc of his inappropriate and illegal shipping practices, his lack of accountability and his completely unprofessional way of handling business.
Attached Images

Old 10-25-2015, 03:54 PM   #6
JAtoynatan
More screenshots
Attached Images

Old 10-25-2015, 05:08 PM   #7
Black Adder
As far as I am aware the ONLY legal way to ship a live SNAKE is by Fedex or a service that uses Fedex, such as SYR or Reptile Express.
UPS can be used for some live reptiles but NOT snakes ever!
That on its own is bad enough but then when you look at the actual packaging, that is a disgrace too.
And then you also seem to have a pair of snakes with ailments that apparently were not disclosed to you.
You should start a Paypal claim if he will not communicate with you further.
Have you made him aware of this BOI thread so he can try to defend himself and post his version or story?

Old 10-25-2015, 05:34 PM   #8
JColt
I think as soon as he said UPS then I would have passed on the sale. I would not expect anything in top notch condition from someone who would ship that way.

Old 10-25-2015, 06:02 PM   #9
Black Adder
Quote:
Originally Posted by JColt View Post
I think as soon as he said UPS then I would have passed on the sale. I would not expect anything in top notch condition from someone who would ship that way.
So true!
Anybody who knowlingly breaks the law with something as basic as shipping of a live animal should not be in this business imo.
I mean really, using UPS or USPS to save what, $10-20 on shipping cost? If a few measly bucks is THAT important then go sell used cars!
The monitor MAY have been a legal shipment with UPS as I am not sure just what is prohibited bar live snakes in the reptilian sphere but to send it GROUND? That right there was a death sentence!
Hopefully we can get Mr. Smith to chime in here with his side?

Old 10-25-2015, 06:22 PM   #10
nickolasanastasiou
Company policies and laws are the not the same.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!