opinions on oscars - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Fish and Aquatics > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Fish and Aquatics.

Old 12-23-2005, 05:01 PM   #11
techgirl
not a good mix? i looked at a few sites that actually said that it was ok. one of them was the liveaquaria site that has a compatibility chart. hmmm, have to see how this goes.

Old 12-23-2005, 05:04 PM   #12
techgirl
my bad, i was wrong. will put the mollies in the other tank. that one is platies and gold dust mollies.

Old 12-23-2005, 06:25 PM   #13
techgirl
just an announcement...the mollies have been moved .

Old 12-23-2005, 10:01 PM   #14
jglass38
A 55 gallon is WAY too small for 2 Oscars. Aside from growing to 14" or so, they are extremely messy fish that whether fed live or flake/pelleted food will spit tons of it out of their gills. It creates a huge bioload on the tank. Even with all the filtration in the world, your ammonia/nitrates/nitrites will always be out of whack. I had 2 in a 90 gallon along with a Fluval canister filter and 2 hang on type filters with bio wheels and I still had to do 30% weekly changes just to keep it clean. That said, they are my FAVORITE fish by far. So smart and really just cool. Some people call them the puppy dog fish. They always came over to see what was up when I came in. Unfortunately they have since died (one in a tragic poisoning by eating another fish and the other from a fungal disease brought on I believe by my housekeeper spraying cleaning solution too close to the tank). Best of luck!

Jamie

EDIT: Also, they will eat ANYTHING that they can fit in their mouths so mollies are prob a bad idea with anything more than a baby Oscar.

Old 12-26-2005, 02:00 AM   #15
Manhattan Herps
glad to see you decided against the oscars, putting them in a 55 would be horrible for them

good luck with your tank, angels are the best
Attached Images

Old 12-26-2005, 09:03 AM   #16
techgirl
dan i love your tank!! i have 4 little baby angelfish right now and they have been doing well since friday. can't wait to add more after some more time has passed. hope your holidays were good.

Old 12-26-2005, 03:00 PM   #17
Patrat
Best wishes on your endeavor

I have considered Angelfish in the past, but since the local store has started stocking them I have changed my mind. He has one in there that is absolutely gorgeous, but also absolutely gigantic. I have a 55 set-up, and this fish looks too big for it. I have been led to understand that different breeds grow to be different sizes, though. I guess I just need to research them more. Good luck with your tank! I hope you have nothing but success with it!

Old 12-26-2005, 08:50 PM   #18
Manhattan Herps
altums are bigger by height, but they are rare, and wild caught

i've always kepy angels in 55gals, they do fine as long as there are not that many in with them, i've always had 4 in the same tank that seems to work out best

scalares are usually 6-8 inches from top to bottom fin, so they fit fine in a 55gal

Old 12-27-2005, 05:13 PM   #19
Patrat
The Angel I saw is about 10 inches top to bottom. One of two he recieved as a "Breeding pair". the second one died within 24 hours of arrival...AFTER he had already paid a stiff fee for them. They are beautiful fish, and should make her tank look quite nice.

Old 12-27-2005, 06:07 PM   #20
techgirl
ok so i made some more additions to the tank today. we added a rubber-lipped pleco, striped raphael catfish, gold gourami,and a dwarf puffer. definitely starting to look like a good semi-aggressive tank going. i had had 2 dwarf puffers in my last tank and just loved them.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!