Poll in the BOI? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

View Poll Results: Good Guy/Bad Guy poll for BOI threads?
Yes, I would use the poll if available. 6 46.15%
No, it's a flawed concept and doesn't belong in the BOI. 4 30.77%
Maybe, with a few adjustments it might work. 3 23.08%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-17-2005, 09:23 PM   #1
A_Kendergirl
Poll in the BOI?

I had brought this up in another thread as it went with the general flow, but I am also interested in knowing if others like this idea. So, let me (and Webslave, I hope) know what you think.

Just an idea...

Perhaps BOI threads can have a poll of good guy/bad guy very similar to the Good Guy Certification. Perhaps "Undecided" could be a viable option in the poll as well.

People could them vote as they see fit about the thread, and change their vote if needed. It doesn't happen too often, but good guy threads turn bad and bad guy threads turn good. With the poll available, a person who opens the thread can get a quick glance of the general direction of the thread. If a good guy thread did turn bad (or the other way around) it would be readily seen without having to read 100 posts ... and may inspire someone to actually read all of the posts to see what happened. Likewise, if a bad guy thread has 95% bad guy votes, then there is little question about how people feel. If there are a lot of undecideds, or a near even split, that could be plenty of reason for someone new on the scene to read the whole thread so they can decide by themself.

Take the Bill Leverton thread ... with it's umpteen million posts that are mostly beating a dead horse. At the start of the thread, it actually goes in Bill's favor. Anyone who only reads a page or two might feel he's OK. In the first few hours, his poll would have had a number of "Good Guy" votes, a number of "Undecided", and a few "Bad Guy" votes. Then, several people make it very clear that it's the same snake...and eventually Bill confesses. Nearly all of his "Good Guy" votes would have disappeared, there still would have been a number of "Undecided", and a lot of "Bad Guy". A week or two later (I'm NOT about to look that up!) the info comes about about the shill bidding. At that point, he would have nearly all "Bad Guy" votes. If the poll were in place, by opening the thread a person would be able to see that a WHOLE LOT of people think he's bad...and it saves them from several hours of reading, trying to weed out the truth for themself.

With this in effect, people still have the option of reading all the posts involved in the thread, but they are also more at liberty of skipping from beggining to end and still have a good idea of how the middle went. I KNOW that people do this frequently on large threads....it might actually stop them from posting an opinion that was repeatedly stated 100 posts back, but is now old news.

Old 10-17-2005, 09:26 PM   #2
A_Kendergirl
OOPS!! I meant to have an actual poll along with this!! Well, post what you think anyway!

Old 10-17-2005, 09:29 PM   #3
Rebel Dragons
I personally don't like the idea.

I like to form my own opinions of people by reading myself what they have to say and what others have said about them.

Forming a premature opinion based off of a poll at the beginning of a thread, before I even read it, is just not appealing to me.

It would be a classic "judging a book by it's cover" scenario IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the reasoning behind it. I just don't think it would be fair to the person(s) involved in the thread.

Old 10-17-2005, 10:39 PM   #4
Sasheena
I think that it is an interesting idea. Some may not like it, and that's okay, because everyone forms their opinion in the way that works for them. I think that the software is already in place for anyone who desires to set up a poll when they post a bad guy (or a good guy) thread. If I ever have to post a bad guy thread, I will consider doing this. I don't think that it needs to be something that is mandated. If some people do it, and others like it, then more will do it and it might become "standard" for people to include that. I think it will be overall quite interesting.

I especially like it because an individual can change their opinion and change their vote. Though I think that having the "participants" in the poll visible to any who care to look will help to keep it more honest.

Old 10-17-2005, 11:32 PM   #5
A_Kendergirl
I agree that it should be public knowledge as to how you have voted. The ability to change your vote is also key. When new info comes out and you change your mind, you should be able to express that change. I imagine it would clear up a lot of the "I agree" posts that can clutter up a thread.

I would like to see a thread or two in the BOI with a poll...to test out how it works. It might be a smash hit when people see how it works, or it could be a total flop. At least we would know that someone tried it. LOL...To anyone that does it, please be sure that it's a legit BOI thread, we don't want anyone getting into trouble.

As for Mike's concern, people do that without a poll. They often will make a decision without reading everything. I'm sure there are people out there that don't even read the thread, they just look for a title saying "Bad Guy". All of the posts would still be there (as I see it), and everyone would still have to freedom to read at will and make up their own mind...this would just help the people that don't have hours to spend reading a bunch of stuff that has little to do with the meat of the thread.

Old 10-17-2005, 11:46 PM   #6
Sasheena
I agree that some people have to try the poll thing, on a legitimate thread, before it can be seen how it will or won't work. I know that if there is a thread like that I will try to read it and participate in the thread/poll. I haven't purchased snakes from anyone in over a year, and am currently trying to cut back on my collection more than add to it. But I do have opinions on some of the threads in the BOI and wouldn't hesitate to add my opinion.

Old 10-18-2005, 12:03 AM   #7
Serpwidgets
I like the idea but I would want at least a fourth option. I don't think that someone who was trying to pull a scam, but then aborted it and paid up because they got busted on the BOI, is a "good guy" in any way shape or form. Yet a lot of people would not want to vote "bad guy" because they did end up (under pressure) completing the deal.

... if that makes any sense.

(Although personally I believe it's what one does when one doesn't believe there will be consequences, that truly determines one's character.)

Old 10-18-2005, 12:08 AM   #8
Dr Owens
Shanti,
If you'd like I can edit your topic and turn it into a poll. If you'll PM me with what you would like for poll options, then I'll add it for you.

Old 10-18-2005, 12:53 AM   #9
Dr Owens
There you go Shanti! I'll be curious as to where this might go.

Old 10-18-2005, 01:02 AM   #10
A_Kendergirl
An "On the path of redemption" option? It would make sense. Though few in numbers, a person who finds themself on the wrong end of a Bad Guy thread and tries to make a change for the better doesn't qualify for the Good Guy/Bad Guy/Undecided options. In my opinion, they would not be exactly good or bad at that point. They would have to do many good things without relapse before I would consider them good again. For others, they will never be considered good again - and they could just keep their "Bad Guy" vote as is.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!