Info Truth Behind Carolina Reptiles/ NCREPTILES - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:40 AM   #1
Roundhouse Reptiles
Exclamation Truth Behind Carolina Reptiles/ NCREPTILES

I thought I should bring some things to light for those that have purchased or plan to purchase from Carolina Reptiles (formerly NCREPTILES?).

First of all after living with the owner (William or Billy as you guys may know him) for several years as his wife, I have decided to leave him due to constant domestic issues that have affected me and my children. My oldest already left the home due to the stress. I feel I am obligated to notify any potential customers of the truth behind the business mask as I have seen it first hand for now a miserable 3 years. As I unveil the truth, I only intend to warn the potential customers of the poor aspects of their purchases and what they can expect. I have no intentions of hurting Carolina Reptile's Business, only obligated as a member of Fauna to share the truth and contribute my experiences and observations as a wife and business partner to William with the Fauna community.

I can say that William has extensive knowledge in the herp field. He is very educated in his reptile aspects and has contributed that much to the community. However, his punctuation and desire to be motivated and withhold the daily responsibilities of the reptiles in his care has been shameful. He lost his partnership with his business partner for the second time due to that very reason. His former business partner gave him the boot. Thus, resulting in him being in a solo proprietorship.

He does not maintain adequate water levels for bearded dragons or the main selections of reptiles he has available. He rarely cleans their cages (unless a customer is coming to buy something with an APPOINTMENT) that is why he runs his "business" by appointment only. He spends 99 percent of his time in front of the computer either advertising or combing Fauna or Craigslist. He has left his 18 month old son unattended for several hours in the living room while doing so. Our son has had several diaper rashes that required steroid creams. I have on several occasions had to physically remove bearded dragons from his care that were near death, missing limbs (still bleeding or infected and crusted over) and nurse them back to health. We lost several last year (*more than half our inventory), mainly because he refused to medically worm them. Before he started the new diet he has the dragons on now, he would go days without providing greens to them. Why? He did not have the money to buy the greens, or did not feel like going to the store.

The dragons only get soaked once every few months.
And that was when I had enough and had to yet intervene and set my children and household chores aside and do his job for him.

By the way, if CERTAIN customers call he will not answer it. He will walk around the house cussing, ranting, and raving that CERTAIN customers irritate him. If a specific person calls that he does not like for certain reasons,(someone who talks to much, asks too many questions, etc.) he yells at me not to answer it. If a customer purchased something, and they call he seldom deals with them. ( as he calls it)Then it sets him into a rage, resulting in domestic issues. And I am sure many of you have tried to call between 8 am - 11 am. Did not get an answer? He was sleeping.....

We had a chicken coop in our backyard that at one time had chickens. Now it is a graveyard for rotting snakes. He has lost more than half his inventory due to laziness. Oh yea, he likes to buy reptiles off our local Craigslist, or take in unwanted reptiles and then resells them without treating them for worms or mites.

He also has four dogs. This is sad. He keeps 2 female adult pits in a medium sized wire cage in the shop/porch.

He gets up at around 11 am. Can you imagine the stench from poop and pee from 2 adult dogs that have waited from around 8 pm when he closes them up until 11 am the next day?
This is why appointments are important!

I can go on forever, but just wanted to share who you are really dealing with. I am sure many of you have had successful dealings with him. But if not, know you know why.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:53 AM   #2
MikeCurtin
What have you done to make any attempt to remedy this situation? This has been going on for 3 years and now you bring it to someone's attention? Something doesn't seem right here. I'm not trying to attack, but have seen too many screwed up posters on the BOI to take this one at face value.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:56 AM   #3
Roundhouse Reptiles
What have I done in 3 years?

I was basically held captive emotionally, and controlled. Like with domestic violence I am going to speak out while I live in the home with him?

Old 01-10-2009, 02:36 AM   #4
Keleida
I'm not going to comment on Carolina Reptiles since I haven't read much about them, and will be doing so tomorrow at a more reasonable hour. However... if you're so concerned about the animal's welfare, why aren't you reporting this to the proper authorities? I know for a fact that if he's keeping two dogs in solely wire cages (you didn't state that they were let out, so I'm left to assume they're kept in there indefinitely), an agent from a human society would have to look into it at the very least.

Maybe I'm just shooting for the stars in this scenario, but oh well. I at least mentioned it.

Also.. I know this is a touchy subject, but ..

To me, if a man hits a woman, there is no excuse. For either of them. No man (or woman for that matter) has the right to inflict pain on their spouse/partner. No spouse/partner should allow it to happen. I know when you're in the situation it's tough. I have to deal with people who are in these scenarios on a constant basis, but never have they used it as an excuse to allow more abuse to occur. I'm happy you're getting yourself out of that situation, but you should have done it much earlier, instead of enduring three years of domestic violence.

Maybe I'm a little harsh in thinking that if you aren't willing to help yourself, I won't pity you. You are helping yourself. However, allowing more abuse is appalling. Instead of coming here, I'm thinking you should have taken ALL necessary steps towards a solution. I'm basing this solely on what information you have provided.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:25 AM   #5
binary71
only thing i can say is i grew up with my dad who beat my mother for 12 years and she wouldn't say a thing to anyone. Most victims don't say anything about the abuse much less some mistreated animals. Thats all i will say as i know nothing of the business but i do understand domestic violence first hand. I lived it for 12 years until she could get up the courage to leave.

Old 01-10-2009, 04:00 AM   #6
Keleida
I'm not going to argue about that point. It just strikes me as odd that a person feels like they can't do anything to help themselves in a situation as that. What what also strikes me as odd is that she's coming here of all places. As captnemo said, something doesn't seem right to me. Maybe it's my fever, but why after coming out of three years of domestic issues do you suddenly come here, and not the police/humane society/who ever? If she's done that, then my mistake and I'll apologize. We haven't been made aware of that, or anything else though.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:18 AM   #7
MikeCurtin
Jan-

Just got your message, and I can understand where you're coming from and why it's not always easy to take that first step in leaving. I'll not get any further into the could of, should of's. Now that you're out, though, may I suggest contacting all of the proper authorities and posting any proof of your accusations here. Unfortunately, without it you're just another jaded ex-wife. Good luck.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:56 AM   #8
zipzagger
I am sure there are lots of people on here who have plenty of things that could be described or viewed as a wrong by someone else. This is merely dirty laundry and doesn't belong here, especially considering the fact you are an ex-wife. What did you do while all this was going on, i.e. the animal abuse? Did you ever help out with the reptiles?

Ben Onley

Old 01-10-2009, 11:04 AM   #9
Miss Tuniwha
Just throwing this out there..

yes. this thread will be taken with much criticism due to the ex factor.

but, I am repeatedly reading "why now, what did you do then to help"

these are obviously people that have not dealt with abusive family members.. the majority (not all mind you) of abused (whether mentally or physically) simply can't stand up for themselves, let alone an animal.

think about it. Frequently in those situations, you aren't allowed your own voices.. So defending yourself or others would merely make your life far worse.

Just wanted to throw that out there..

Old 01-10-2009, 11:19 AM   #10
binary71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Tuniwha View Post

these are obviously people that have not dealt with abusive family members.. the majority (not all mind you) of abused (whether mentally or physically) simply can't stand up for themselves, let alone an animal.

very well said.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
carolina reptiles, ncreptiles, william davis