Wont eat crickets help - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-12-2010, 05:45 PM   #1
GJOsik
Wont eat crickets help

My beardie wont eat any crickets. maybe a few. the first day i had him he ate abuot 10 and every day since then (got him last thursday) he has eating maybe 5. i keep having to take them out of his tank at night Are there any ways to get him to eat crickets or any other insects i can dust and give him

Old 09-12-2010, 06:41 PM   #2
LauraB
First, how old is your dragon? I assume young since you just got him. What size crix are you feeding him? Do you feed veggies? If so, what veggies? Is he in a tank by himself?

Depending upon his age/ size, you could try size-appropriate silkworms, Phoenix worms, butterworms, roaches (dubia are good). Instead of giving 10 crix, just give him the 5 or so you know he will eat at one time. Let him work up an appetite

Old 09-12-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
GJOsik
Yeah I just got him last Thursday so he is young. Maybe a month and. A half 2 months. He isabout 6 inches maybe 7 inches long. He is in a 40 gallon breeder since I couldn't afford a small tank and a big tank for when we gets bigger (hopefully) he is the only beardie in the tank. I offer him 1/4in crickets. And I leave kale dusted with calcium/d3 powder everday and dusted with multivitamin powder about 3 to 4 times a week. I dust the veggie because I know he eats them. I've only seen him eat 2 crickets other then the 10 the first day. It concerns me that he ate so well the firstt day I had him and now he doesn't really want them.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:11 PM   #4
dragonluver83
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJOsik View Post
Yeah I just got him last Thursday so he is young. Maybe a month and. A half 2 months. He isabout 6 inches maybe 7 inches long. He is in a 40 gallon breeder since I couldn't afford a small tank and a big tank for when we gets bigger (hopefully) he is the only beardie in the tank. I offer him 1/4in crickets. And I leave kale dusted with calcium/d3 powder everday and dusted with multivitamin powder about 3 to 4 times a week. I dust the veggie because I know he eats them. I've only seen him eat 2 crickets other then the 10 the first day. It concerns me that he ate so well the firstt day I had him and now he doesn't really want them.
Is there any stress lines on his stomach and chest area?

A 40 Gal. breeder is a large tank to keep it hot enough for a smaller dragon. Meaning you probly have a concentrated hot spot and rest of the cage is cooler. Maybe try to make it a smaller tank. you can cut a piece of card board to make the tank alittle smaller.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:33 PM   #5
GJOsik
There are dark almost black like stripes kinda like tiger markings on his belly and nick and if I do that will that cause him more stress cuz I feel like he is getting used to his large home

Old 09-12-2010, 10:08 PM   #6
shinezilla
He is wee one and too much space like a 40 might be a little hard for him to chase down those crickets. But if he's getting used to it, he might eventually feel comfortable enough to eat. But that gives the crickets more room to run away from him.

If you don't want to put a divider to make his tank smaller, come feeding time... Do it "snake style". Take the little guy out, put him in a bin/tub and feed him in there

Old 09-12-2010, 10:32 PM   #7
GJOsik
Thanks for the help. And I looked up stress marks and he definetly has them on his belly and neck sometimes black oother times light. Is this. A problem? Or will he grow out of it once he unwinds

Old 09-12-2010, 11:47 PM   #8
dragonluver83
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJOsik View Post
Thanks for the help. And I looked up stress marks and he definetly has them on his belly and neck sometimes black oother times light. Is this. A problem? Or will he grow out of it once he unwinds
It can be a problem. sometimes some dragons dont adjust to some issues. Usually the first issue with a baby dragon in a glass tank is, paper up the side walls. you can use news paper,(save money) or you can buy construction paper and tape that up.
What happens is the dragon can see itself in the reflection and that scares it. Usually when that is going on the dragon will arm wave here and there. or a slow head bob. I would def. paper up the sides and back of the cage. then work on making it alittle smaller.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:01 AM   #9
shinezilla
Stress is what could be causing the little guy to not eat. Some adjust to new surroundings and some don't.
Like Tom mentioned, his own reflection could be wigging him out or he needs a buddy

But either way, if it's affecting him to the point where he hasn't been eating like he should for a long period of time I would try to make his house a home...
Not saying it's not cozy, but yeah

Old 09-13-2010, 12:05 AM   #10
GJOsik
He does stare at his own reflection and moves quite a bit. And he id arm wave the other day in the middle of the tank. And should I use blank paper or can I use decoritive desert design..

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!