Rack system temp question. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:36 PM   #1
del9800
Rack system temp question.

Good day all,

I will explain set up and then ask question.

*4 level C-serpents V-15/V-18 rack
*3in 10w belly heat flex watt
*1st Herpstat 1-probe taped on flexwatt directly
*2nd Herpstat -probe inside empty tub taped to hot spot for accurate hot spot temp.
*Temp gun
*new substrate Aspen Sani-chips; old substrate Aspen shavings

Alright now for the question... Sorry I dont know how to explaining it without being complicated.

I am confused about hot spot temp. I have set up my second t-stat taped inside an empty tub to read hot spot surface. Since I have done this my hot spot has hit the correct temp where I should be for my hognose snakes 90 degrees (92 at most). Now after i switched over to sani chips, the substrate has actually stayed in place over hot spot without bunching up like aspen shavings. So when I did have aspen shaving I would use my temp gun to get reading of each tub and got same temp as my t-stat. Now that I have made the switch to sani chips I have used temp gun to read hot spot surface under substrate and have gotten temps of 96 degrees. So at this point i decided to to ad substrate(s-chips) over probe to compare reading and it is accurate 96 degrees. Am I doing something wrong? Should I bring down t-stat to get a 90 degree hot spot with substrate over probe or should i remove substrate and get reading from that? And just to be clear the t-stat inside tube is not connected to my flex watt. I'm using a separate herpstat to control temps. Once again sorry for my explanation.

Thanks,
Dave

Old 06-09-2015, 02:57 PM   #2
del9800
I am using one of the herpstats just to get a good reading of hotspot and not to control heat. So easy way on putting it is, do i get reading with substrate on probe or without substrate. I am getting a +/-5 degree difference when I add the sani chips over probe. So it seems like tubs are getting warmer with substrate over hotspot area.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:19 PM   #3
Droptine10
I have always used hides with my snakes, I try
to keep the substrate out of the hide so the belly heat is exactly
What the probe or thermometer is reading.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!