Wanted Barn Owl - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Birds > Birds For Sale/Wanted Ads

Notices

Birds For Sale/Wanted Ads Posting of classified ads by registered members is FREE!! But additional perks require contributing level memberships.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:00 PM   #1
SilverRaichu
Barn Owl

Im looking to get a barn owl. Wanted to know if anyone has one for sale anywhere near New Jersey (will drive reasonable distance, do not want shipped)
what are the costs?
  Contact User Check User
Old 07-27-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
snowgyre
Barn owls are federally protected species. Owning one requires a state and federal license, which generally entails a one-year apprenticeship under a falconer in order to earn your falconry permits and the necessary federal permits. In addition, housing for the animal will need to be initially approved then annually inspected by federal employees, generally either the US Fish and Wildlife Service or the US Dept. of Agriculture or both.

In other words, barn owls are not available to members of the public without an extraordinary amount of hard work, money, and time. Even I, a certified associate wildlife biologist, cannot own or possess a barn owl or any barn owl feathers or parts, and I need a state and federal collection license just to preserve one for museum collections.

EDIT: I stand corrected, it's a two year apprenticeship program. In addition, the only raptor you are allowed to possess after earning your falconry license is a red-tailed hawk, typically a wild caught juvenile (I believe you must wait at least another 2 years until you can acquire a second bird or a different species). It has been a few years since I was actively involved with falconry but I would guess the rules have become more stringent, not less so.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
SilverRaichu
Interesting, I never knew all that, though I knew about the permits needed and the type of care required I never knew what you had to go through to get them. Well that explains why when I searched 'barn owls for sale' all uk websites showed up, lol
Thanks for the info
  Contact User Check User
Old 11-15-2012, 02:20 AM   #4
blue_oxen
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgyre View Post
EDIT: I stand corrected, it's a two year apprenticeship program. In addition, the only raptor you are allowed to possess after earning your falconry license is a red-tailed hawk, typically a wild caught juvenile (I believe you must wait at least another 2 years until you can acquire a second bird or a different species). It has been a few years since I was actively involved with falconry but I would guess the rules have become more stringent, not less so.
An apprentice licensee is authorized to possess only the following species:
Wild-caught
 American kestrel
 Red-tailed hawk

Captive-bred
Any species, except:
 American swallow-tailed kite
 Bald eagle
 White-tailed eagle
 Steller’s sea eagle
 Northern harrier
 Swainson’s hawk
 Ferruginous hawk
 Golden eagle
 Peregrine falcon
 Prairie falcon
 Flammulated owl
 Burrowing owl
 Short-eared owl

Old 11-26-2012, 10:45 PM   #5
Kurohyo
To those talking falconry on here, laws depend on state regulations regarding falconry. Where one state allows an apprentice a wild caught passage Red Tail or American Kestrel, another may allow most anything. Even so, it won't matter if you can't get a sponsor. The sponsor has all the say in your involvement, and with such a tight community you can easily become the target of hate if you're looking for a "cool pet". Falconry is not for those wanting pets, it IS a form of hunting that requires many hours a week to frequently exercise and hunt the bird, not to mention all of the weighing involved.

Too many people want pet owls here in the US just because they're "cute". Best advice I can give is to volunteer at a rehab to be in close contact with them (BTW these owls won't be "cute", they'll be little hellions screeching to no end), or to find another avian species. A favored alternative are corvidae, which include crows, ravens, and magpies. Just make sure they aren't native since those are illegal to keep.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:06 PM   #6
Kurohyo
In reply to Nick, just because you CAN own an exotic BOP does not mean you should. I've seen even falconers screw up majorly, and without even learning how to deal with them or without close friends to count on you can screw up pretty bad. That said, go ahead and buy one if you know what you're doing. Eurasian eagle owls are great IF imprinted, as are many other exotic BOPs. The real issue is these are PREDATORS. Just like owning a cheetah, wolf, or even a monitor these animals have natural instincts that affect their behavior. Do NOT be surprised if one decides that it doesn't like the fact you're wearing a had and digs its talons into your face. Do NOT be surprised if it goes after your or some one else's pet. Do NOT be surprised if it gets sickly due to poor diet and a small quarters. These are not domesticated animals in the least and should not be treated like such. It's far more expensive to get an exotic BOP for a pet than volunteering at a rehab or even becoming a falconer.

Falconers do not tell people that it is legal to own nonindigenous BOP because people are STUPID and they'd prefer that only those SERIOUS about this line of business be given the opportunity to own one. They are looking out for the birds and the sport itself. Most are indeed against keeping them as pets because they aren't like snakes, which you can put away and feed every now and then. They are not parrots and will not treat you as a friend, they will treat you as a rival or mate and that's only when you imprint. In some cases they will attempt to drive you out of your home because it becomes their territory. If you really desire a large bird with intelligence, I recommend crows or parrots. They work in communal agreements and won't make you lose a finger.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:19 PM   #7
snowgyre
The only raptors I've been attacked by in captivity were imprinted owls that were submitted to the raptor rehabilitation clinic because they became aggressive. We had to euthanize a beautiful imprinted adult male bald eagle because he became so aggressive. Raptors are like the avian version of big cats... take your eyes off them and they will hurt you eventually, 'tame' or not. I've been raked, bitten, footed, etc. by a number of captive and wild birds. Raptors of any kind should not be owned by just anyone, period. It's disrespectful to the animal in most cases.

This thread was not about nonnative owls, it was about someone trying to get a barn owl. Barn owls are native to the United States and are thus protected under state and federal law and it is illegal to possess live birds or even parts of deceased birds, including feathers, unless you have a federal falconry or collection permit, respectively.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:42 PM   #8
nyserama1
For one thing an imprinted adult male bald eagle is not a Barbary falcon.... Sorry i tried helping the OP

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!