Panacur help. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-16-2007, 02:15 PM   #1
Timotea
Panacur help.

Well i have a leopard gecko. ( No Der ) and she has had a runny poo and a long smelly one. I'm rather disturbed seeing that she has never been sick for me but i'm suspecting the superworms i bought. I thought they seemed strange to me but please don't flame i'm only 14 i didn't have enough common sence. Well people on here are telling me to try panacur and gave me a general idea how much to give my leopard gecko but now i need to know how many times and what how frequent to give her the medication. I'm planning on getting her a boyfriend soon so thanks. ( I know to keep them seprate for a while and all that jazz ) Thanks!

- Tim

Old 05-16-2007, 02:55 PM   #2
Golden Gate Geckos
Tim, if you are concerned about your gecko, you should take her to a vet for a fecal test. Trying to self-diagnose a problem and self-prescribe medication is not a good idea. If you suspect parasites, only a test can confirm that there is indeed an infection, what type of infection it is, and the proper medication to treat it. Different infections require specific medications and even more, specific dosages.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:56 PM   #3
Leighanne
You might want to get a fecal done. In my state around me here its cheap so long as they don't have to see the animal. I personally don't understand how feeding a Super Worm equals medicating a Gecko. What if that pooh was temporary? How many bad poohs has she had?

Old 05-16-2007, 02:58 PM   #4
Timotea
Well she had two of them right now but she just seemes fine. I might be worring to much but ill try to look up a vet and contact them.

Old 05-16-2007, 03:04 PM   #5
Timotea
Well anybody have any sites. I found vet connection or whatever and the closest vet is a hour and a half drive away so my dad dosn't want me to go all that way. If she is sick what will they do? Do i have to bring her in or will they give me the meds? Will i have to go back two or three more times for her to get checked? Thanks!

Old 05-16-2007, 09:05 PM   #6
ragnew
Has she had anymore runny poops? Also, have you fed her the superworms before? I actually had a few leopards that had runny stools the first few times they were eating the mealworms. I always thought that it was just their bodies adjusting to the new food items.

They had the poops for a few days, then everything was fine after that.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:44 AM   #7
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

It isn't recommended to use Panacur just because of runny stools.
You really should get a fecal done to determine if he has worms or parasites. The panacur is used for worms, not coccidia, which is a parasite.
So it is best not to self treat until you know what exactly it is you could be treating.
Was that the first time you had fed supers to him? Were they too large?
What are his temps, are they warm enough for him to digest? Do you have an undertank heater as well as an overhead light for him too?
His temps should run from 85-90 or so. They tend to do better with some heat, & if they are too cold they can't digest properly.
If you get a fecal done, & they give you meds, depending on what it is, usually you can do just a 1 cycle medication without having to go back in. The times you need to go back in for a recheck is when the counts are high & she is very infested, so they can check to make sure counts have gone down. Most vets, simply will not just give out meds without seeing your gecko to do a fecal, because that wouldn't be safe. Unless you are a tech, or have a good repoire with your vet & are an experienced keeper, will some call in prescriptions for you to go pick up.

Tracie

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!