Incubation help - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-28-2006, 12:16 AM   #1
lucy101
Question Incubation help

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me set up a hovabator for my leos that are on the way. I'm using vermiculite as a medium. I am planning on buying a digital thermometer that measures the temp and humidity but I'm not sure what would be the best and where to purchase one. I saw some at radio shack but they were wireless...will that work? I'm also using a ranco thermostat and was wondering where i should install the probe. In a deli cup or in the middle of the incubator. Same thing with the thermometer....I don't know where to install it. Thanks johnny

Old 04-28-2006, 03:01 AM   #2
KelliH
Welcome to Fauna, Johnny.

Hovabators are fine for incubating leopard gecko eggs. I used them for many years with much success.

The radio shack digital thermometers are fine. I have never used a wireless one, so I have to recommend the more "traditional" thermometers. I have always put the thermostat probe inside the incubator rather than inside one of the deli cups, but that is just a personal preference. As far as thermostats, I recommend using a proportional one. I have never used Rancos before, but as long as they are proportional they willl work fine. I use Helix thermostats on all my incubators. I actually have old style mercury thermometers in my incubators, I trust their accuracy more than the digital ones.

I hope that helps, and let us know if you have any other questions. Happy herping!

Old 04-28-2006, 07:10 AM   #3
Gregg M
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy101
I'm using vermiculite as a medium.
I would go with perlite...

Quote:
I am planning on buying a digital thermometer that measures the temp and humidity but I'm not sure what would be the best and where to purchase one. I saw some at radio shack but they were wireless...will that work?
Those wireless are good to get a fast round about temp reading.... They are somewhat acurate but I rely more on mercury thermometers....

Quote:
I'm also using a ranco thermostat and was wondering where i should install the probe. In a deli cup or in the middle of the incubator. Same thing with the thermometer....I don't know where to install it. Thanks johnny
I also use a Ranco.... They are very good thermostats.... I keep my probes in the incubators them selves, not in the deli cups.... Remember that the temps in the deli cups can be up to 2 degrees cooler than in the incubator....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!