Leopard Gecko Questions - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-11-2010, 03:34 AM   #1
Maldesto
Leopard Gecko Questions

Well i purchased a leopard gecko for my nephew who is 5, his mom and him are taking care of it. First off it is in a 10 gallon tank with a hide rock with mositure a little jar lid with calicum a water lid a hide bridge thingy :P and a 10 gallon repti carpet... It won't eat meal worms, no pets that i ever bought from this pet store will eat them... Im just wondering how i could get them to eat them. I purchased a 100 pack of meal worms for it also before i gave it to my nephew the mealworm i put in there when i first gave it to him a week ago is still in there alive and kicking.. and it eats crickits out the wazoo.. just wondering any advice on how to get it to eat something besides crickits til it gets older, as the petstore locally only sells 3/8's crickits like 2 dozen for llike 3.50 and the 1/2 inch at the other pet store are 1.25 per dozen so 2.50 a dollar cheaper for bigger crickits.. just wondering also what i should do to make it handleable it snaps at us when we try 2 hold it

Old 08-11-2010, 09:05 AM   #2
snowgyre
The best way to switch leopard geckos to other foods is with a little tough love. They generally won't explore new foods unless they're REALLY hungry. As long as your gecko is proper weight and healthy, then he/she won't have any problems fasting for a week. What I do is I won't offer any food for that entire week, and then offer the new food item. In most cases they'll eat a few just because they're hungry, and that's the first step to getting them to switch. If they still won't eat after a week, I'll give them a small meal of their typical foods, then fast them for another week. After two weeks they'll eat ANYTHING, and if your gecko is healthy, he/she probably won't lose much weight at all.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:16 AM   #3
Maldesto
some guy at the pet store told my sister that leopards store food in their tails thats why their tails get big, so give them all their crickits at once the lizard is max a month or 2 old.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:24 AM   #4
snowgyre
If the gecko is that young, then switching him over to mealworms will be even easier. Just put a whole lot of mealworms in a dish and leave them in there for a few days without offering any other food. Jostle the dish before you go to bed every night to get the mealworms to move, and then the gecko will start eating them.

Yes, leopard geckos store food in their tails, but feeding them all their food at once is a bad idea. Some geckos eyes are bigger than their stomachs, and if they eat too much at one sitting they will regurgitate their food. I feed my geckos 5-8 dubia roach nymphs (depending on size) every other day, which equates to about 5-8 crickets. Gorging never does anyone any good, people and geckos included.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:16 AM   #5
Maldesto
Well i guess she has been feeding the little guy/girl about 6-10 a day..

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!