Impending surgery- nervous owner!- UPDATE - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-09-2007, 11:43 PM   #1
geckogrl6
Impending surgery- nervous owner!- UPDATE

Just wanted to get some well wishes from you all. My leucistic rescue is facing surgery in 2 days to remove an abcess from her head. She came to me with two of those things, one under each eye, and I was able to remove one myself without surgery. Unfortunately, after a significant good period, the other one has started growing again, as she has opened it up herself during her last shed, so the surgery to remove it can no longer wait until after my finals. She's such a good patient, sat super still while I removed the first one, despite the fact that I had tweezers VERY close to her eye. I'm hoping she will be just as good this time with the vet to avoid any general anesthesia. I'm hoping the vet can just use a topical and slit it to remove. It grew way bigger literally overnight, so I'm a little concerned about that eye which has once again swollen nearly shut. At least her appetite is unaffected lol. Thank God for good reptile vets, and lets hope this girl gets a nice early xmas present of a swift recovery.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:03 AM   #2
LakesideBoas
You'll get your little girl back happy and healthy, I'm sure! Give her a nice juicy cricket from Fauna when she can eat again.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:53 PM   #3
geckogrl6
Thank you! She's actually still eating now that I've started her antibiotics again. Ate just a couple of small mealies last night after meds, with gusto. I've a couple nice waxworms set aside for her after her ordeal is over. I'm keeping her eating in check as I dont want to over feed her and risk a regurge tomm at the vets, just more stress on her body. She's a fighter for sure, bu,t the anesthesia makes me nervous.

Old 12-10-2007, 04:53 PM   #4
LakesideBoas
Good deal! I wouldn't feed her any more today just in case the vet needs to put her under as her digestive system (as well as the rest of her-LOL) will go "to sleep" and it is not a great idea to have food in it as it takes a while longer for it to "get up to speed" than the rest of the organs in the body. (That is one of the reasons why they don't like us eating before surgery).

I'll be keeping my toes crossed, but only on my left foot, the right ones are already crossed for someone else!

Old 12-10-2007, 07:06 PM   #5
geckogrl6
Yeah, thats what I figured about eating tonight. I do think I need to give her her meds tonight tho, right? (I forgot to ask the vet)

Old 12-10-2007, 07:31 PM   #6
TheFragginDragon
Fingers are crossed Lisa, good luck!

Old 12-10-2007, 07:52 PM   #7
LakesideBoas
I wouldn't give her anything just to be on the safe side. It won't hurt her to miss one day and I'd rather play it safe, if it were me.

Good luck you two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckogrl6
Yeah, thats what I figured about eating tonight. I do think I need to give her her meds tonight tho, right? (I forgot to ask the vet)

Old 12-12-2007, 06:37 AM   #8
LakesideBoas
How's the little one? Hope she's doing well for you now. Did she get her big, fat waxie?!

Old 12-12-2007, 07:46 PM   #9
geckogrl6
She seems a little agitated today, after some residual lethargy yesterday after the removal. The vet did not need to use any general anesthesia (YAY!), she had some topical stuff, which the tech smeared pretty much over that half of her head. She had more bleeding than I would have liked, it looks like most of it into the cavity left where the abcess was. Still has some swelling over the eye, which I'm watching closely, and the scabbing seems to be keeping her from opening the eye, which I'm not too happy about. The bruising is much reduced today, and she is super mad cuz I did not feed her last night. She will have a nice big dinner tonight, now that I see she is back to her usual spunk, and healing. I cant wait until her next shed, she'll be able to see fully with both eyes for the first time since I brought her home! Thanks so much for your concern! Sometimes you just need someone else to tell you it will be fine...

Old 12-13-2007, 08:54 PM   #10
LakesideBoas
I am so glad everything went fine for her. Hey, if somebody cut my head open I'd be a tad bit grumpy too!

Hopefully she'll be back to her old self real soon.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!