First Hot snake - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-01-2006, 05:58 PM   #1
DooberRT
First Hot snake

Hello all Im in Cleveland Ohio and I recently purchased my first hot snake, an Eastern Copperhead CB baby. I have a colombian Red Tailed boa as well. What would be a good enclosure to start him out in and also some necessary supplies to buy before he arrives?

Old 08-01-2006, 06:06 PM   #2
DooberRT
I take that last post back it is a Western Diamondback dont know what I was thinking

Old 08-01-2006, 06:40 PM   #3
hhmoore
wow - you already bought your first hot, and NOW you want to know what to put him in and what supplies you need. I'm speechless. (ok - so I'm not, but I won't launch the diatribe that was aimed your way, lol)

Enclosure - needs to be something ESCAPEPROOF and LOCKABLE, that offers good visibility so you know where the snake is any time you even think about opening it. Be careful of any thing that has any kind of lip over the door. The snake can hide up there and literally fall out when you open the cage. Personally, I always liked the old Neodesha slant fronts for hots (as long as the doors didn't warp/bind. You could see, had great access, escapeproof, lockable, and had double meshed vents to preclude little (or big) teeth from poking through. I also used some "cages in a cage" setups, where I kept several individually housed snakes in one large locked enclosure.

Equipment supplies - I am on my way out the door for work, so I can't even come close to a complete list/description. For starters, a couple of each of the following: snake hooks, long tweezers, long forceps. You will need a secure holding box or closeable/lockable hide so you can do cage maintenance - there are many options here. Gotta run. Hopefully somebody will fill in some of the blanks. If not, I'll be back when I get a chance.

Old 08-01-2006, 07:51 PM   #4
Clay Davenport
I guess today it's Harald's turn to use the self control button. I am going to launch into a bit of a diatribe because Anthony is going to get envenomated.

First off, a western diamondback is an extremely poor choice as a first hot, especially in this case when it's close to being your first snake period. Add to that the fact that you have apparently done little research on how to handle hots safely, let alone had any first hand experience under the guidance of a knowledgable keeper, the odds of your getting bitten by that snake are very high to be brutally honest.

An atrox (what we call a WDB) is not known for a mild temperment and in many cases they are downright nasty. As the snake grows to 5+ feet it becomes a seriously dangerous animal to an inexperienced keeper.
There is no way we can educate you on proper handling techniques on a forum. We can't tell you how to hook and move the snake, how to use a trap box, how to restrain it if it needs hands on attention. These things cannot be adequately taught in written words, you need to be shown.
The fact that you decided to buy the animal without first gaining this knowledge displays extreme irresponsibility. Not to mention the completely irresponsible person who would sell you such a snake if they knew you possessed no experience at all. As far as I'm concerned they will share in the responsibility when you get bitten. That's one of the reasons I have never sold any of the baby rattlers I have produced. I'm not willing to take that responsibility of selling one to a stranger.

I would encourage you if there is any way possible to get out of the deal and not bring this snake home. In other words unless it's already on an airplane coming to you, call the seller and tell him you can't take it.
Then spend a few months reading and learning all you can about the details of keeping venomous snakes. Find and befriend a venomous keeper, and learn from them. Let them teach you first hand how to deal with hots safely. Then plan on maybe getting your first hot in a couple of years.
You will never eliminate the possibility of being bitten, but you can reduce it to many times lower than it is now. Believe me, you DO NOT want to go through an atrox envenomation.

I don't want to see you get bitten, but just as much I don't want to see more bad press that always results from a keeper being envenomated. Slow down, take some time and put forth the effort to gain knowledge before you jump into keeping. You'll not only be doing yourself the service of becoming better prepared to avoid suffering a bite, but you'll gain more respect from experienced keepers and find them much more likely to help you out.

Now there's a couple of ways things can go after reading what I've said. You can choose to get defensive and pissed off, thinking I'm talking down to you and treating you like a child, and buy the snake anyway just to prove yourself. Or you can see the seriousness of the situation, realize that I do have a better vantage point toward hot keeping than you do, and take my words to heart, spare yourself a lot of pain and an $80K hospital bill, put the effort toward gaining the knowledge and put off buying your first hot until you are actually prepared to keep it.

Here are a few links for you to check out:
Being bit by the big one (atrox envenomation)
Beginners guide to keeping venomous snakes
http://www.venomousreptiles.org/ - much great info, especially the articles

Old 08-01-2006, 08:10 PM   #5
BWSmith
There is a good book on the subject

Old 08-01-2006, 08:17 PM   #6
christopher66
Quote:
Originally Posted by DooberRT
......dont know what I was thinking

Yep,you said it yourself.

Please check with the hospitals in your area to find out if they carry the proper antivenom and if they have experienced medical practitioners who have dealt with envenomations in the past.Don't just check one ,check them all.
This is commen practice.And might save your life.

Chris

Old 08-02-2006, 01:17 AM   #7
Junkyard
Clay, stop holding yourself back and say what you are really thinking!

Anthony, you are 19 years old, far to young to lose your life because you wanted to keep a hot. Sure many have done it at your age, but take what Clay posted seriously. We read all the time about people who are bitten and lose a limb or even their life because they wanted to show off their venomous snake, or have a brain fart and get bit because they were not being careful. It is not worth it. Take the time to study them with someone experienced and save your mother the heartache from losing her child.

Old 08-02-2006, 03:27 PM   #8
DooberRT
Lol ok I think I need to clarify a few things here before someone has a heart attack, it was my fault though I wasnt specific in my first post so lets start over.

First I was half right the first time it was a southern copperhead which I have read on here and other places is a good firsthot snake to own.

Second I shouldnt have said bought the only reason I said was because I thought I was gonna go through with it at the time. I wanted to take it back after I posted but this forum lacks an edit button so I couldnt.

Third my uncle used to own various venomous and non-venomous snakes and I would often go to his house to check them out and watch how he handled them with the various tools while cleaning the cage/doing whatever else and I had some practice doing it, not calling myself a pro though. Now I came on here to ask you guys the best supplies to buy because my uncle passed away and cant ask him.

I have some experience with aggressive snakes I used to own two bull snakes that were rather feisty, they would try to strike alot but I never got tagged (much to their dismay)

Old 08-02-2006, 03:46 PM   #9
DooberRT
Its also pretty hard to get tagged when wearing my new patented snake suit
http://www.towndock.net/salty/img/knight.jpg

that was a joke laugh if you wish :scatter:

Old 08-02-2006, 04:03 PM   #10
Junkyard
That did get a laugh from me. It is good to know that you have a bit of a background with venomous. So you are not buying one now at this time? Just curious as it is always good to acquire as much information as possible about a new snake species before you actually buy one.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!