Bad Guy Underground Reptiles - Page 7 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 04-24-2018, 09:54 PM   #61
garsik
I understand the confusion about the time lines because they have not been accurately described. On 1/15 I texted Underground about taking some animals I was electing to get rid of. They texted to bring them by any time and they would make an offer. I honestly don't know when I brought them in but doubt it was the very next day. On 2/23 I sent a text explaining that I was still waiting on an offer. A few more texts were sent with no serious response. No phone conversations took place and I just assumed they were displaying the snake in their retail store. Things were going at an unsurprising South Florida pace. On 3/15 I noticed the Cobra being advertised. I immediately texted and was told to call. I did and at that time was given a first offer which I refused. I explained the snakes would be picked up by our mutual friend. There was no further contact but when attempting to retrieve the snakes a week later (not weeks) the cobra had been sold. I understand that the interpretation of time seems to be a defining issue. The lapses are not as long as presented and are certainly open to interpretation as to what is reasonable, depending on the need to exploit them.
When I dropped the animals off I was told I would be contacted with an offer. I have never transferred ownership of a venomous animal without exchanging license information. They did not ask so I assumed this was a loan until the final details could be worked out. My inspection occurred in the first week or so of January. I had moved the animals to a smaller room to comply with the new regulations. I passed the inspection with no problem but decided to downsize a little. At no time was I under duress or time pressure. This was purely a free choice. I had never indicated a need for assistance in order to remain legal with my permit. This is a wild goose chase and false.
I hope this clears thing up a bit. I have spoken to FWC and we are on the same page.
I have learned my lesson and am truthfully telling this story.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:05 PM   #62
BobO'Booey
It may not seem like it but I'm actually on your side however you don't get to leave animals that require care with somebody for whatever amount of time you feel like. At this point since it is a civil matter I would suggest you file in small claims court if they don't respond to a demand letter however I would hardly consider the animals to be stolen since you're the one who created this problem in the first place. I think you are entitled to compensation based on the fair value of the animals in question minus whatever their cost was for feeding and caring for the animals. I think it was bad business for them to take animals with no agreement and to sell the animals as abandoned without notification and a demand for you to pick them up within a certain timeline they're not there to babysit until you get around to it, and I would encourage you not to report them stolen unless you are prepared to suffer the consequences should it bite you on the ass. I will admit I do not know Florida law but at some point even Common Sense should come into play and I think that both sides have a certain amount of wrong in this situation.

Old 04-24-2018, 11:23 PM   #63
thamnophis123
Reading the string of BS UR posted earlier in this thread about me leaves no doubt that they are dirty little liars. When confronted with their underhanded deeds they erupt in a spasm of accusations and distortions. These are pretty much the sort of behaviors we expect from grifters and crooks, and very much the behaviors I experienced when dealing with the owner about the terminally diseased snakes Underground Reptiles sent me.

They are clever little thieves though, and I am sure - just like sharks on the smell of blood - they knew immediately they had the OP over a barrel. The poor guy made the mistake of trusting. Something you could get away with in my small Iowa town, but a deadly mistake when dealing with the likes of Underground Reptiles.

I have spoken with the owner of Underground Reptiles about the diseased snakes his company shipped to me. He was instantly hysterical, screaming into the phone like a lunatic, shouting down every point I tried to make. At the time, I was only trying to explain to him the incredible damage his company could do to herps (both wild and captive) and herp collections if they did not recognize the highly contagious, always lethal, and untreatable SFD their animals were infected with.

Since then, the have continued to collect snakes from the wild, bring them into their facility where they know the disease could spread, and sell them to unsuspecting customers. So ask yourself - if a guy is willing to do this, is there any doubt he would happily stiff a trusting long time customer out of a couple snakes?

Old 04-24-2018, 11:24 PM   #64
thamnophis123
Reading the string of BS UR posted earlier in this thread about me leaves no doubt that they are dirty little liars. When confronted with their underhanded deeds they erupt in a spasm of accusations and distortions. These are pretty much the sort of behaviors we expect from grifters and crooks, and very much the behaviors I experienced when dealing with the owner about the terminally diseased snakes Underground Reptiles sent me.

They are clever little thieves though, and I am sure - just like sharks on the smell of blood - they knew immediately they had the OP over a barrel. The poor guy made the mistake of trusting. Something you could get away with in my small Iowa town, but a deadly mistake when dealing with the likes of Underground Reptiles.

I have spoken with the owner of Underground Reptiles about the diseased snakes his company shipped to me. He was instantly hysterical, screaming into the phone like a lunatic, shouting down every point I tried to make. At the time, I was only trying to explain to him the incredible damage his company could do to herps (both wild and captive) and herp collections if they did not recognize the highly contagious, always lethal, and untreatable SFD their animals were infected with.

Since then, the have continued to collect snakes from the wild, bring them into their facility where they know the disease could spread, and sell them to unsuspecting customers. So ask yourself - if a guy is willing to do this, is there any doubt he would happily stiff a trusting long time customer out of a couple snakes?

Old 04-25-2018, 12:09 AM   #65
tlmoon
I would think UR would put notifications to the OP about considering the snakes to be abandoned in writing. Not a single text or email from UR notifying the OP, really?

I can see how the cobra, having been there for a while, could have gotten sold by an employee by mistake, or something along those lines. This would have been an easy fix - pay the OP a fair price, minus a reasonable boarding fee.

Yes, the OP probably should have set this up more officially with UR, but surely he didn't just "drop off" a couple of venomous animals behind the counter or something. UR must have known he was leaving the animals there and it was on them to take care of arrangements as well. Again, once (from their perspective) the animals were 'abandoned' why on earth wouldn't they send a text/email/certified letter to the OP? Especially with FWS and venomous regulations going on, a business would do this properly and protect itself with documentation.

It looks to me that UR got mixed up and sold the snake by mistake. This could be understandable, a whole facility and probably a bunch of people working there. But instead of making it right, they are digging in and making it all about the OP leaving the snake theres. Even if there is some fault on both sides, you're a business - stuff happens, just do the right thing and move on.

Old 04-25-2018, 12:14 AM   #66
BobO'Booey
Exactly, if both sides give a little they can at least resolve the problem so that they don't jeopardize any permits that they have and move on and don't be so careless next time

Old 04-25-2018, 12:21 AM   #67
Big Time Reptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by thamnophis123 View Post

^^^^Here, Here, Truer words have never been spoken!^^^^

Now my experience: They never sold me a sick snake, they did sell me a wild caught pair of lizards, as captive born imports.

I received the lizards at 10:20 a.m. opened the box, looked at what they sent, immediately repackaged the pair. It's a 25 minute drive from my ranch to town,. I made it in 15 minutes, because the Fed Ex truck was leaving at 11:00 a.m. and back they went to UG.

Unlike most, the owner of UG, would never talk to me, Rian B. was the only one that took my calls, and assured me he would talk to the owner about my refund, this went on for a month, finally I had enough of the BS.

My next phone call to UG was too inform Rian B. I was calling
US Fish & Wildlife, with my suspensions. Miraculously my refund for $1100 was returned that day.

Any one dealing with UG, is taking a big chance in my opinion! I'd never deal with them again, in this lifetime.

Lynn Peterson
Big Time Reptiles

Old 04-25-2018, 01:57 AM   #68
JimM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Walker View Post
So who then is to blame for this event falling apart, especially when there were no specific time limits and no written contract laid out?
So because James screwed up by doing this , it makes if fair for UG to steal his snakes ???

Old 04-25-2018, 06:55 AM   #69
Robert Walker
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM View Post
So because James screwed up by doing this , it makes if fair for UG to steal his snakes ???
It appears you are the only one of us who has reached this conclusion, as I said nothing of the sort.

I asked "who" is responsible for the event falling apart? Hint: The answer is 'both' parties are. I'm fine with someone complaining about another group as long as they also take some of the blame themselves for not having written out the terms of the agreement 'before' having entered into it. This is not a one-sided failure. Both groups are to blame for where they find themselves currently, both parties failed to produce a contract. James has already admitted he failed in this aspect, good. Now if Underground can admit the same thing, perhaps they can come to a resolution and put this behind them.

Without a contract, stealing becomes abandoned and abandoned becomes stealing. This is a matter of perspective as evidenced here. Contracts exist because handshake deals repeatedly fail. Contracts exist because memories dull. Contracts exist for the benefit of both sides. No contract, well then both sides can shed tears in the wind.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:04 AM   #70
JimM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Walker;2071766

I asked "who" is responsible for the event falling apart? [U
Hint:[/u] The answer is 'both' parties are.
Doesn't matter WHO is at 'fault' ... what happened to just plain HONESTY ???

It seems that it's getting very rare to find it in this hobby anymore.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!