Homosexual behavior in bearded dragons - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-24-2006, 04:47 PM   #11
willows chelle
my dragon is straight

Old 04-25-2006, 06:58 AM   #12
Dachiu
That's interesting reading Josh. and an interesting topic... heheh... We just shake our heads at them and let them do their thing - or separate them if its too rough.

We've seen females try to breed other females here also. Sometimes it is as they are growing up and in a communal cages as sub-adults - I chalked it up to confusion at first. BUT last year we also had a female who had just recently finished her breeding cycle of multiple clutches try to breed her sister after we pulled them from their males. She bobbed & stomped her foot, bit, wiggled and locked up.
Usually though, with a dominant female in a communal cage, she will act the males part without - but locking up. This seems to be more like establishing a pecking order, similar to what birds do.

Old 04-25-2006, 04:01 PM   #13
pdragon
Thank you very much. There's really no place else to get this sort of info. The whole understanding of reptiles is far from being figured out. I hate to be the bearer of odd questions, but I have to figure out why these things happen. I'm the guy who goes to the dentist and asks how many gold and silver teeth they have given out, or asking the person at the DMV how many times they get yelled at every day, LOL. After years of observing and breeding dragons, I have noticed that there are so many un-answered questions about dragon behavior. For instance, in outdoor raised Rankins, I have noticed on hot days(90 degrees and above), they will sit straight up and down.....all of them. I figured maybe they are trying to limit the amount of surface area so they don't overheat. Or how dragons somehow know what plants to eat and what's poisonous to them. I remember feeding dragons in the late morning, and noticing all of them all hiding under the plants and pallets. It wasn't too hot outside. I looked up and saw a hawk flying overhead! They all knew immediatly to hide, and not one was in the open. Things like females mating with females and vice versa is pretty bizarre, and really never talked about. I guess not too many people want to admit Spike likes his brother!,LOL I appreciate all the info. Thanks, Josh

Old 04-25-2006, 04:55 PM   #14
Dachiu
hahaha... we once had a male who would bob at the other males and carry on like you wouldn't believe. Absolutely beautiful dragon - that had no interest in any female what-so-ever! He'd get soooo excited and then do his business on the darned basking rock. We sent him off to another breeder - and he did the same thing there.
He ended up making someone a wonderful pet. ~sigh~

Old 05-08-2006, 01:28 PM   #15
dirtydansn
Females locking up

I have witnessed this, just this weekend actually. I walked in on my Chris Allen female, Crayola, locked up with another female, Sphinx. It was extremely bizarre. I have three females housed together. Crayola is the biggest, but occasionally she and Sphinx will have a little argument about who is the dominant dragon of the arena. Lately, both Crayola and Sphinx have been showing a lot of male-like behavior. Head bobbing, etc. But Crayola has been the most extreme. Even her beard has become nearly black on a few occasions. We're sure she is a female though.. Anyhow, I walked in on Crayola and Sphinx and Crayola was completely locked on her, eyes CLOSED! i picked up her immediately after the "copulation" was over and couldn't see a hemipenes specifically, but it did appear that her vent was slightly open, almost like she had retracted her hemipenes. VERY STRANGE. She's been housed with these two females for a long while, and I have never seen this before. And this female is PROVEN, which is even more bizarre. Nothing this year. But last year produced several clutches. Last point is Crayola only seems to show her "male aggressions" towards Sphinx, and NOT the other female in the cage. My guess is that these two dragons occasionally battle it out for dominance, and because of all the hormones raging currently, they have just chosen this way to express it.

And lastly... none of these females are receptive to males right now. I have placed Sphinx in with an "aggressive" male on several occasions, and he'll try, but she is not interested. So the male has been unsuccessful. But the strange thing is, she was locked up by a female! VERY WEIRD.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!