Virus silences cricket farm in Leesburg - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 06-27-2010, 04:23 PM   #31
sschind
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace9916 View Post
I'v read and have tried to figure out how many eggs a female cricket could lay. but i have never found any real info on how much they really lay. I have read that it could be between 100-1000 big stretch I know, but its the closest I can get. I would say its more towards the hundred. if ten thousand was an actual number then breeding crickets wold be all to easy and they would be really really cheap. Can yo imagine all you would need is one or 2 females each month and youd have way to many to even feed your animals.

I would love to expand on my roaches but can't find any at the moment. Everyone is out of stock and mine are all still to young.
The problem with raising crickets is not so much getting the babies it's raising them to a practical size. In temperature controlled environments where everything is perfect (like cricket farms) its not that big of a deal but for the average hobbyist it can be a pain in the behind. I would get a box of 500 adults every week and within 2 weeks I would have 10's of thousands of pinheads. Keeping them warm, fed and hydrated properly was a major pain for me though and I was lucky of I got 10% to live to a size where they did me any good. It simply was not worth the effort. Now I know there is a way to do it and if I had the desire I could probably find out (although getting information from people is like pulling teeth, it seems no one is willing to divulge their secrets) but like I said it's not worth the trouble to me right now. If I still had my dart frogs and other tiny reptiles and amphibs to feed and I could utilize the pinheads it would be a different story. Maybe now that my viper and dune geckos are laying again I'll try it once more but I'm not holding out much hope.

Old 06-27-2010, 04:28 PM   #32
sschind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatballzofire View Post

Young male gryllus. The young females will have an ovipositor which gets longer as they mature.
Black crickets are easy to raise; just go out in the field on a warm spring day and catch a bunch of males and females and give them the same facilities as the acheta crickets. They will breed all year round if kept warm.
If I recall from my days of collecting baby black crickets even the youngsters can chirp or at least make noise. Its been a while but I seem to recall that when I would go out into my parents orchard and collect a few hundred babies my basement would be filled with a very high pitched trilling sound, so high that it was almost inaudible. Can anyone confirm this or was I dreaming the whole thing.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:44 AM   #33
Greatballzofire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace9916 View Post
T is the life span of the black cricket.and can we get that Here iv never seen them.
http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/walker/buzz/g464a.htm
I am not sure what species I have here in the Motherlode, but they overwinter as juveniles and emerge in the spring to grow into young adults that then lay eggs in the summer. When one goes to collect them in the spring it is very easy to tell the males and females apart, as the juvenile females will have the beginning of an ovipositor.

Mine live for months until they die of old age the following summer. Because they are in a warm house instead of outdoors in the cold they lay eggs all winter. So they seem to live for at least a year in captivity.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:56 PM   #34
jermh1
I have around 5000+ dubia females breeding away and 10s of thousands of the nymphs, just waiting to see how this cricket thing is going to pan out before I start selling them. Bass and pickeral love the adult males so they are good bait too.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:49 PM   #35
WingedWolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschind View Post
The problem with raising crickets is not so much getting the babies it's raising them to a practical size. In temperature controlled environments where everything is perfect (like cricket farms) its not that big of a deal but for the average hobbyist it can be a pain in the behind.
It's actually not that challenging. I raised crickets in a 60 gallon plastic tote. Put a band around the top--bug stop or vaseline. Cut a large square in the lid, and glue screen into it.

On the bottom, put a food dish, water dish (with sponge or similar stuff), and moist soil box for egg laying (assuming you have adult crickets).
Fill the box up with vertically stacked egg carton material.

If it's under 80F, stick a heat lamp on top of the screen. You want it about 80 to 85F. I had mine out in a shed. ^_^

Replace the food regularly, before it molds. Wipe the bottom carefully with a paper towel if too much moisture and waste builds up. Keep the water and sponge very clean.
You can move the soil trays to a similar setup when you figure they are 'full'.

I fed my crickets dog food, fish food, and some dandelion greens for fresh stuff.

The pinheads did fine for me in this setup, and I had plenty grow to good sizes. I always had crickets in all sizes.

However, I think crickets are a big pain to feed to little herps. I use D. hydei for that.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:54 AM   #36
texomagirl
Anyone know if Timberline Crickets were affected?

Old 07-01-2010, 05:55 AM   #37
texomagirl
Oh, forgot to mention...I do breed the lobster and dubia roaches if anyone needs some

Old 01-12-2011, 02:03 PM   #38
AbsoluteApril
Virus kills hordes of crickets raised for reptiles

another story about this virus:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110112/...cricket_crisis

A virus has killed millions of crickets that are raised to feed pet reptiles and zoo animals, putting some producers out of business and disrupting supplies to pet shops across North America.

The cricket paralysis virus killed 60 million of the insects at an operation in Canada, forced a Florida farmer to declare bankruptcy and prompted a Michigan grower to close until spring.

The virus led Elizabeth Payne to declare bankruptcy in June, and a bank foreclosed on her property in Leesburg, Fla., in November. She and her husband, who died three years ago, bought their farm in 1987 and built up sales to a million crickets a week, but it was ruined by the virus.

She finally gave up after closing the facility four times and spraying the walls and equipment with a strong chlorine solution, then pressure-washing the walls.

"There is no cure for that virus, and there is no way to get the virus out of that facility," Payne said.

Cricket farms started in the 1940s as a source of fish bait, but the bulk of sales now are to pet supply companies, reptile owners and zoos, although people also eat some. Most U.S. farms are in the South, but suppliers from Pennsylvania to California also raise crickets.

The virus had swept through European cricket farms in 2002. It was first noticed in 2009 in the U.S. and Canada in the only commonly sold cricket species — the house cricket Acheta domesticus.

The virus doesn't affect animals that eat crickets or even other cricket species, said Peter Tijssen, a virologist at the University of Quebec in Laval, Canada.

David Fluker, president of Fluker's Cricket Farm Inc. in Port Allen, estimated there are 10 major U.S. farms and many smaller operations. Fluker, who created a limited access blog to discuss the problem, said he thinks four or five farmers are now fighting the virus.

Despite the problem, untainted operations seem to be largely meeting the demand. Some retailers noted, though, that they have had to search a bit for crickets.

Raymond Lambrecht, owner of The Pet Zone in Shreveport, La., said he had to switch suppliers this summer.

"All of a sudden, they told me they didn't have any large crickets," he said. "I could get small ones, but no medium to large crickets for several months."

Jeff McFarlane, owner of Aardvark Pets in Winnepeg, Canada, said two farmers he bought from have gone out of business. McFarlane previously relied on one supplier, but now splits his orders between three to ensure he doesn't become too reliant on one operation.

Barry Garrity, a sales associate at Upscales Fish and Reptiles in Tualatin, Ore., said for several months from midsummer to fall, his store had a hard time getting crickets, and many died within a day or two after delivery. His supplier said he changed distributors and hasn't had a problem since.

For those operations infected with the virus, getting rid of the problem can be a long and frustrating process.

The virus forced Top Hat Cricket Farm in Kalamazoo, Mich., to close until spring while officials "re-invent the way we operate," according to a notice on its website. General manager Bob Eldred declined the comment on the matter.

Canadian grower Bill Duckworth, owner of Krickets Un Ltd in Lacombe, Alberta, said more than 60 million crickets at his operation died within 10 days.

In response, he's been sanitizing his barns since August and hoped to reopen "real soon."

When they reopen, Duckworth will institute procedures to prevent entrance of the virus, such as requiring workers to wear protective suits and step onto chemical-saturated pads to kill any viruses on their shoes.

"It'll be a $100,000 ordeal before I'm done here. When I'm done, I'll be 100 percent biosecure," Duckworth said.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!