woman in NY dead from Mamba Bite - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:12 AM   #1
redhood23
woman in NY dead from Mamba Bite

Was also on CNN

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/0...eath-ny-woman/

Old 06-17-2011, 07:17 AM   #2
Lucille
After reading the article, I am curious about whether antivenin can be kept and given at home. I think I saw a statistic about black mambas, that their bites are almost 100% fatal unless the antivenin is administered within 20 minutes. Is that a realistic statistic?
Even with a prepared hospital and in an urban area with responsive medical emergency crews, it is difficult to see how a call, transport, assessment and antivenin administration could occur within that time frame.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:06 AM   #3
SPJ
Quote:
The black mamba and the rest of the snakes - some of them venomous - were turned over to the Bronx Zoo
Great. Now a mamba will be loose.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:02 AM   #4
Focal
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucille View Post
After reading the article, I am curious about whether antivenin can be kept and given at home. I think I saw a statistic about black mambas, that their bites are almost 100% fatal unless the antivenin is administered within 20 minutes. Is that a realistic statistic?
Even with a prepared hospital and in an urban area with responsive medical emergency crews, it is difficult to see how a call, transport, assessment and antivenin administration could occur within that time frame.
I was talking to someone a couple months ago that kept venomous and I'm not sure how accurate the info is, but they said antivenom can cost up to five digits. Not a small price to pay for your life if you can come up with it.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:10 AM   #5
Lucille
That's a lot of money. I read how lethal the mamba venom is, and also that it is one of the fastest snakes in the world. I guess I'm wondering what kind of preparations most keepers take when they decide to keep a mamba. I'm sure that adequate preparations are needed with any venomous, but this particular kind of snake seems to be quite deadly.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:33 AM   #6
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focal X View Post
I was talking to someone a couple months ago that kept venomous and I'm not sure how accurate the info is, but they said antivenom can cost up to five digits. Not a small price to pay for your life if you can come up with it.
Well, it isn't that simple. The (per vial) cost of antivenom depends on the type of snake, and the total cost is that amount x the total number of vials used. Based on some old pricing (2004, from Miami Dade AV $950/vial) for CroFab, and information on the average total dose (10.9 vials - CroFab); that's $10,450 just for the CroFab....assuming, of course, that one could acquire it for that price. Then, one must keep in mind that CroFab has a shelf life of 30 months when stored properly (at 2-8 degrees Celsius).
Interestingly, while digging around for current pricing, I found that CroFab can be purchased from Drugstore.com....for the pittance of $23,063.18 for 10 (it is unclear whether that is 10 vials, 10 packages of however many vials, or ?....but I suspect that is their per vial cost)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucille View Post
After reading the article, I am curious about whether antivenin can be kept and given at home.
Not really feasible, for numerous reasons.
I believe that special permits are required to purchase/possess antivenom (that might be workable)
IV administration (that, too, might be workable, depending)
Product must be reconstituted (which, according to recommended procedure for CroFab, takes about 25 minutes) then diluted. (still possible at home)
Even if the above factors were reasonable, there is still the issue of safety, supportive therapy, and managing side effects. CroFab is very safe, compared to the old Crotalid Polyvalent; but coagulopathy is still a concern in 75% of treated patients, and serum sickness is still a possibility.
That is for the treatment of North American crotalid bites; which are "relatively mild" in comparison to many venomous species. Species with more potent venoms bring a variety of other issues to the table. In cases of a more neurotoxic venom, patients may need to be intubated/ventilated until the venom is neutralized. Also, as mentioned, CroFab is relatively safe....there are greater risks associated with other antivenoms (including anaphylaxis), many of which are not even produced in this country.

My former (business) partner used to tell me about some people he knew that did venom acquisition for research and and antivenom production...I can't say whether it is true or not, but he said that their response plan for some of the snakes they worked with was a large meat cleaver - since their best option was to stop the spread of the venom, rather than risk circulation. Looking back, I'm still not sure if he said that to impress on me the dangers of the snakes we were talking about, or if that was how things were back then

Old 06-17-2011, 02:03 PM   #7
snowgyre
I really, really don't see the need to keep such incredibly venomous and dangerous creatures in private collections. Forget about boas and pythons on the injurious list... mambas should be there, along with any snake that has the potential either through volume of venom delivered or venom toxicity to kill a healthy adult human.

I'd rather have a loaded gun pointed at my head with the hammer cocked than a loose mamba in my neighborhood.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:35 PM   #8
WebSlave
Does typical health insurance cover the medical expenses incurred from a venomous snake bite in a situation whereby the person bitten was keeping them in his or her care?

If not, this could be quite an expensive ride for someone..... And more than likely their health insurance would drop them like a hot potato afterwards.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:43 PM   #9
snowgyre
Not to mention do life insurance policies cover this sort of death?

Old 06-17-2011, 04:07 PM   #10
SPJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Does typical health insurance cover the medical expenses incurred from a venomous snake bite in a situation whereby the person bitten was keeping them in his or her care?

If not, this could be quite an expensive ride for someone..... And more than likely their health insurance would drop them like a hot potato afterwards.
No. I took a dry bite from a copperhead years ago and despite me saying no compression bandage, no anti-venom needed, or that I could go home since it was a dry bite, the hospital charged me THOUSANDS of dollars that was denied by my insurance. I eventually got sued by the hospital and it took 5 years to pay them back. Figure 5 years of monthly payments on a luxury car that you don't own. Insurance is quick to deny any claims for snake bites.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!