woman in NY dead from Mamba Bite - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:15 PM   #11
hhmoore
It doesn't take much to get into the THOUSANDS, lol.

I believe Steve's experience would be the common one - assuming that the snake was captive. I had an acquaintance years ago that was envenomated by a devenomized cobra; I'm fairly certain that his claim was denied, but he was trying to fight it on the grounds that the cobra was supposed to be devenomized. I doubt he got anywhere with it, though.
Life insurance - I don't know.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:41 PM   #12
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post

this could be quite an expensive ride for someone.....
And the expense could rise exponentially if the venomous snake they owned bit someone else.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:03 PM   #13
SPJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
It doesn't take much to get into the THOUSANDS, lol.

I believe Steve's experience would be the common one - assuming that the snake was captive. I had an acquaintance years ago that was envenomated by a devenomized cobra; I'm fairly certain that his claim was denied, but he was trying to fight it on the grounds that the cobra was supposed to be devenomized. I doubt he got anywhere with it, though.
Life insurance - I don't know.
I believe so. I think they tend to deny more often that not if the animal is a captive versus if it happened randomly from a wild snake.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:13 PM   #14
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgyre View Post
I really, really don't see the need to keep such incredibly venomous and dangerous creatures in private collections. Forget about boas and pythons on the injurious list... mambas should be there, along with any snake that has the potential either through volume of venom delivered or venom toxicity to kill a healthy adult human.

I'd rather have a loaded gun pointed at my head with the hammer cocked than a loose mamba in my neighborhood.
A lot of people keep venomous...for a long time, I was one of them. There is one basic truth that comes into play, and accepting it could eliminate a whole bunch of useless laws. You can't legislate against stupidity. As long as people are allowed to breathe, we will do stupid things. While I can understand the argument against people keeping certain species - I will never support legislation that draws that line; if for no other reason than once it is there, it tends to be a starting point rather than a solution. From highly venomous to any venomous, from venomous to large constrictors, crocodilians, and monitors. From those to boas, tegus, and iguanas. Where does it end? Look at breed legislation across the country, and the ongoing injurious species battle/python ban.
Do I think people should be allowed to keep bears and tigers in their homes - nope. Do I understand the similarities between that and keeping crocodilians and hots - yup. How could I not when so called dangerous animal legislation has been the doorway to banning many herps. The thing is, those laws don't work. NYC is the most prohibitive area I know of, offhand, when it comes to the animals one can keep...but people keep what they want. Sure, every couple of years, there is a high profile bust - somebody gets raided and all sorts of exotics are plastered all over the news. How much impact does that have on the people that openly advertise and solicit illegal animals?

Sorry - got off on a little tangent.
Just for the record, there IS legislation restricting ownership of venomous reptiles in NYS...and, from what I understand, they've made it almost impossible to get new permits (which is the main reason I haven't reactivated mine - I'd much rather have a cobra than a damn ball python, lol). Any bets on whether that mamba was held under permit?

Old 06-17-2011, 06:13 PM   #15
KelliH
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
While I can understand the argument against people keeping certain species - I will never support legislation that draws that line; if for no other reason than once it is there, it tends to be a starting point rather than a solution. From highly venomous to any venomous, from venomous to large constrictors, crocodilians, and monitors. From those to boas, tegus, and iguanas. Where does it end? Look at breed legislation across the country, and the ongoing injurious species battle/python ban.
Yeah I agree with that. Once the government gets their toe wet, they are going to want to dive all the way in and make it unlawful to keep any herp at home. As far as the antivenin goes, most private collectors do not stock vials of antivenin for all the hots they keep. When a bite happens, there is protocol that should be followed, and that includes calling 911 or, if someone is there with you (which there should ALWAYS be a second person around when you work venomous) they should transport you to the hospital right away. Most hospitals are only going to stock native snake antivenin, therefore if it is a non native bite, the hospital will reach out to zoos for help. I feel bad for this person that was bitten, and don't understand why in the world she would not immediately call 911. It makes me suspicious that something else might have been going on there.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:54 PM   #16
JordanAng420
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliH View Post
Yeah I agree with that. Once the government gets their toe wet, they are going to want to dive all the way in and make it unlawful to keep any herp at home. As far as the antivenin goes, most private collectors do not stock vials of antivenin for all the hots they keep. When a bite happens, there is protocol that should be followed, and that includes calling 911 or, if someone is there with you (which there should ALWAYS be a second person around when you work venomous) they should transport you to the hospital right away. Most hospitals are only going to stock native snake antivenin, therefore if it is a non native bite, the hospital will reach out to zoos for help. I feel bad for this person that was bitten, and don't understand why in the world she would not immediately call 911. It makes me suspicious that something else might have been going on there.
I agree...

I did read some reports that included some statements from friends/neighbors/aquaintences that said she was a quiet person who kept to herself, and one person had even said they wouldn't be suprised if the bite was intentional on her part, making the cause of death suicide.

Terrible way to go, but given the circumstances, there ARE a lot of things that don't make sense.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:42 PM   #17
Bill T
What is the fascination with poisons snakes?

Old 06-18-2011, 12:50 AM   #18
hhmoore
What's the fascination with whatever you keep?

Old 06-18-2011, 01:30 AM   #19
Katie.Shinkle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill T View Post
Venomous snakes...not poisonous (or...poisons, like you said...).

Old 06-18-2011, 03:12 AM   #20
Utta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill T View Post
Different stroaks for different folks.

Every species has snakes that are the bad apples. Even hots. But why does that mean people shouldnt keep em? If you havent worked with, say cobra's. You dont know the joys of working with them. Why cant a king cobra have the same joys as others BPs?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!