She is going to dig herself to death! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-16-2005, 02:24 PM   #1
dragonchick88
Exclamation She is going to dig herself to death!

My 6 yr old beardie Louise has been constantly diggin in her cage now for almost 4 weeks ( a month ) I figured she was just going to lay some infertile eggs but I cant feel any and she hasnt laid any yet. She dig 24/7 NO JOKE! She has also stopped eating now and will not respond to even her favorite foods ( crickets and pinkies ) I am realy worried because she is getting very weak and has not yet used the bathroom or anything for alomst a week now. She is kept in a 125 gallon tank with a basking spot of 105-110. Her lowest temp in the cage is on the other side by her water and food at 85 degrees. I dont know what is going on but I am really scared, can any of you guys help me figure out this mystery? I am going to take her to the vet this weekend to see if she might not have something wrong with her internaly or something making her uncomfortable.

Old 11-16-2005, 06:03 PM   #2
PaulSage
One of my females did the same thing for at LEAST four weeks. I kept waiting for her to lay eggs. Turns out she's just a digger. She was later paired up with a male, and about four weeks later laid a clutch of eggs. I don't necessarily think it's anything to worry about. She may just be "in the mood."

Old 11-17-2005, 08:33 AM   #3
dragonchick88
Well the thing is she is "old" and I was told not to ever breed her which I dont ever plan to do, what can I do to maybe make her "calm down" ? She is still digin so this is now 5 weeks, she began eating ehr crickets and mealies this morning so thats a good thing, but its still a bothersome habit to me because she is doing this all day and all nite long! Plus she is beginning to run down her nails again to the bone ( when I got her she was over bred and where she had dug all the time her nails where worn down completely to the bone ) they healed after I took her off sand and put her on newspaper and had her on Chlorihexiderm antifungal stuff for her feet and nails but now since she is diggin the problem is coming up again, do you think I need to take her off the sand so she doesnt continue to hurt herself?

Old 11-17-2005, 09:33 AM   #4
PaulSage
I guess that if taking her off the sand was what helped last time, I'd try it again. Does she have a heat source at night? Even when mine was doing all the digging she stopped at night. Once it got dark and cooled off she just went to sleep.

Old 11-17-2005, 10:21 AM   #5
InFocus
I've noticed several of my females digging more than usual. A couple of two year olds and several older females, no males though. Mine started as I cut back on there daylight hours. I chalked it up to wanting to possibly dig a burrough for the winter. I put several shoe boxes turned upside down in there enclosures that they could dig under. Some did and still stay under there, others paid them no attention. I also noticed the diet changes as well.

Old 11-17-2005, 02:33 PM   #6
dragonchick88
She has a heat pad to lay on but she doesnt ever quit! Her daylight hours are from 7 am till 7 pm. ( 12 hrs) she quits digging when I put her in our bathtub with a towel on the bottom but as soon as I out back in her tank she goes right back to digging! I have no clue I mean she cant feel crowded because she is in a 125 gallon by herself! She has plenty of room to walk around and everything.I took her to the vet and they said she was fine too, they said it might be the sand is irratating her little fingers and her way of telling me "GET ME OUT OF HERE! " is by digging till she gets all the sand out of her home....might be true so I guess im going to do that tonight after work and see what she does...keep your fingers crossed guys!

Old 11-22-2005, 06:11 PM   #7
dragonchick88
FOUND OUT THE RPOBLEM! SHE LAYED INFERTILE EGGS! I cam home from work the other day and 65 infertile eggs where left in her cage, I had the vet come and see just to make sure ( of course she hasnt been bred since I have had her so I knew they were infertile ) But now she has stopped digging completely! I canty believe how much weight she lost too! She is back to eating like a pig and running around so thank god it wasnt something serious!

Old 11-22-2005, 09:51 PM   #8
Reptileking636
65?! Are you telling me taht you didn't notice 65 eggs in your beardie? Did you ever pick it up or look at it? LOL that is insane. Well at least she won't be digging for a while. I would start feeding her heavily to bulk her up.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!