Pine snake - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:15 PM   #1
WebSlave
Pine snake

I was out cutting some weeds and brush today with a long bladed lopper when I spotted a snake coiled under the area I had just cut. Turned out to be a pine snake, I guess around 3.5 ft long. Looked like a female. Had to chase her around a little bit before I could pick her up. She squirmed and huffed a little bit about being handled but never attempted to bite. Did get a little bit of musk, too. I had to carry her around a bit to go find Connie so I could show her. The piney calmed down pretty good and seem interested in the new experience.

I guess I should have grabbed my camera, but that would have meant handing the pine to Connie, and not to sure she would have been keen on that idea. So I just walked the pine snake back to where I found here and sent her on her way. Sorry about not getting any pics.

Don't really see many pine snakes around here, and they aren't especially pretty. This one might have been going into or coming out of being opaque as the eyes looked a bit smoky. I sure am glad she didn't lift her head up to see what was going on when I cut the brush above her, otherwise I would have felt awful had I cut her up real badly.

Old 07-30-2015, 05:32 PM   #2
Occidentalis
That's a cool find, somewhat uncommon. I find the FL pines to be more attractive than their relatives in the north and west, but that's just me, I have a soft spot for the SE.

Old 07-30-2015, 05:46 PM   #3
WebSlave
We've seen a few of them around here over the years. Found a young one that had found it's way into the pool enclosure, but could not find it's way back out. Died from the heat, unfortunately.

Another time I was coming home from work down the dirt road to my house, and just saw the back end of a large snake go off the road into the tree line. I stopped the Bronco (I had at the time) and raced to where I last saw him. I heard him before I saw him! Horrendous hissing coming from among the trees. Then I spotted this huge pine snake coiled and reared up, prepared to do battle with me, hissing like a banshee the entire time. Well, I didn't need a pine snake for anything anyway, so I retreated to the Bronco and continued on my way.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:55 PM   #4
extreme_hypo
Pine Snake

That's a great find! Rich you gotta get a picture next time. FL Pines are one of the most secretive snakes I know of.
From now on make sure you have a snake bag looped around your belt loop when working outside!

Old 07-31-2015, 11:02 PM   #5
Occidentalis
Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_hypo View Post
That's a great find! Rich you gotta get a picture next time. FL Pines are one of the most secretive snakes I know of.
From now on make sure you have a snake bag looped around your belt loop when working outside!
Just make sure to follow state laws - pines are protected in FL =D

Old 08-01-2015, 03:34 AM   #6
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_hypo View Post
Well, I can see that "secretive" nature with this one. She was coiled up tightly just ate the base of some low brush. I was cutting through it just to open up the pathway to that section of the woods. Never would have seen that snake had I not been cutting the brush RIGHT THERE. Even with the bush cut, you would have had to look directly at her from above to see her at all. Actually glad it wasn't a diamondback, as my knuckles just about grazed the back of that piney as I moved the loppers to make another cut before I noticed her.

I've got a piece of sheet tin laying out in an area Connie and I cleared this past winter, so maybe I need to check under it now and again to see if anything is camping out under there.

Of course, our property is littered with burrows from all kinds of critters, so there could be dozens of pineys around here and I would never know it.

Old 08-05-2015, 02:34 PM   #7
flintdiver
Nice Rich ! all I have on them so far, even down your way is DOR's ! Your place seemed like good pine habitat from what I remember of it .

Old 08-05-2015, 03:19 PM   #8
WebSlave
Hey Paul! Yeah, I guess this is prime habitat for them. Lots of pine forests and sandy soil. We're only 3/4s of a mile from the Apalachicola National Forest, so lots of wide open spaces for them. Had rodents tear up my standby generator again, so I'm hoping the pine will clear the vermin out for me.

How is life treating you?

Old 08-05-2015, 05:04 PM   #9
flintdiver
Everything is good Rich, I think of you guys when I see a super nice Corvette go by ! Give Connie a hug for me - Paul

Old 08-05-2015, 05:51 PM   #10
WebSlave
I've got the 2007 Coupe up for sale if you are interested.

http://www.corvetteflorida.com/forum...d.php?t=104560

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!