What do you think about setting standars? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-04-2005, 03:12 PM   #1
o0 RYAN 0o
Arrow What do you think about setting standars?

I decided to start this thread after reading the post about liars in the business. I think it is a great idea to try to set some kind of standard and it would be nice to have like a list of participating breeders.

I think it would be great for us to come up with a naming or ID system for all of our geckos we're selling. I know a lot of you already have naming schemes and I'm sure they work great. What about coming up with a universal naming system or ID number. Shannan and I are working on coming up for a naming system for when ours when start hatching this season. We're thinking of including info about: the clutch, the parents, the date it was born, the sex, and the morph...maybe even something else like you own personal ID for your organization.

This is just an example:

0123-1.2-02042005-turkey:jack-tangalbino-F

So basically 6 parts:

1. Your ID for you own personal reference
2. "clutch # for the parents".baby 1 or 2 from the clutch"
3. Date Hatched
4. Parents names (M:F)
5. Morph and
6. Sex

This is just a rough idea, and I'm sure it can be fine tuned with abreviations and such. I'm just curious to see if anyone out there, may be interested in creating a universal naming standard so you'll always know how to read and gain info from the ID. There can be a key or legend to put on your sites, so there will be no confussion.

Feel free to let us know your thoughts, or even shoot down the idea. I just think it would be nice, so that all of our animals can be well represented, and understood by the buyers.

Old 02-04-2005, 03:13 PM   #2
o0 RYAN 0o
I feel like an idiot, I spelled standards wrong in the title for the Thread, haha.

Hopefully you'll still understand, I think you should, haha.

Old 02-04-2005, 04:12 PM   #3
GeckoTracks
No reason to feel silly about this. lol I have actually gone over this and have my own system. I’ve actually taken it a step farther than you. This year (which I decided to do in the middle of 2004 to do for 2005) is to give a pedigree to anyone who buys one of my geckos, little piece a paper someone can file or throw away lol whichever they want. I’ll keep a copy of course and send one out to the buyer of whichever particular gecko they decide to buy. It will include

1. ID number that I used to keep track of them with a blank space for them to fill out the name they name their gecko
2. Hatch Date (maybe even go as far as putting the date when it’s egg was laid)
3. Sex – either actual sex or what it was temp sexed for
4. Morph and whatever het if there is one
5. Parents Names and Morphs
6. Grandparents if possible and so on…
7. And possibly printed pictures for reference of the parents, grandparents, etc

I'd honestly like to know what everyone would think of getting a gecko with a pedigree

Old 02-04-2005, 04:40 PM   #4
o0 RYAN 0o
I was thinking about that. This is going to be my first year breeding and I wanted to be more personal, yet memorable. I was thinking about printing something out to ship with the leo. I wasn't going to do it to the extent that you are, but it's a great idea.

I know a lot of you have standards that are fine. I don't know maybe a universal ID isn't needed...I mean it would be nice to help with any confussion. We could still compile a trusted breeders list even if there isnt a standard. Maybe they would just have to include so many specific things about each gecko like: sex, morph, hatch date and such to make the list. I'm curious to hear some other input as well.

Old 02-04-2005, 04:52 PM   #5
peachstategeckos
hehe

Pedigree..lol...sounds cool though. Once I get all the genetics, parents etc. stuff for my geckos I will probably do something like that. I always wonder about stuff like that when I buy a new gecko. We should start a new site where members are only breeders that have been proven "good guys".

Old 02-04-2005, 05:05 PM   #6
GeckoTracks
oops I forgot to mention

For the babies you hatch out put their origin (for me GeckoTracks)
and the parents origin if its yours or from another person.

it would be easier to prove traits, along with lineage

Old 02-04-2005, 05:12 PM   #7
o0 RYAN 0o
Thats a good thing to do also. Man there is soo many ideas out there, haha. It's nice to get some feedback. From the sounds of it maybe we dont even need standards...it's more like a gecko bio, haha. Make sure you have the: who, what, when, where. I'm not sure what the "why" would be, haha hmm. Maybe its more of a "how".

Old 02-04-2005, 07:05 PM   #8
GeckoPalace
PeachStateGeckos: If there was a site for just breeders that would defeat the purpose of a forum to help people out. Well this kind of forums any ways. A chat room would be better instead of forums if you want to do it like that but we already haev chats and everything thing we need. Its a good idea and all but all you would have is pictures of peoples hatchlings and leos and fauna already have a place like that... So i don't think that would be a real success. Great idea though.

Old 02-04-2005, 07:14 PM   #9
peachstategeckos
I get your point...

...but I mean there are so many people that come here and say they are "good guys" and then so many people get ripped off. I mean I could put together a list of breeders that have alot of positive feedback and it could help alot of people that's what I mean. We already have something like that here but I mean there are alot of people here that are fakers. I'm not saying I'm puting anything together though..lol.

Old 02-04-2005, 08:05 PM   #10
geckogrl6
Though not a "real" breeder yet, i felt like I wanted to post on this one. Reputable breeders are exactly that. They rest on their reputations. that's what forums and shows are for, so you can meet people, get refs, see their stock in person (so to speak), etc. I believe anything on top of this would be extraneous. (I can spell ) j/k
two, I welcome the idea as a consumer of knowing where my new baby came from. for those of you that have sold me geckoes, you will recall I asked for pics of family members. I have kept on file the dates I recieve a new gecko, who/where it came from, morph, and more. I think it would be excellent if everyone had a consistent system for keeping track of these things, but the truth is, I really want to know more about a new gecko than would really fit in a nice ID tag sort of thing. I think we as a community just need to keep amazing and PUBLIC? records about our animals. Why would anyone buy a gecko from someone who didn't know where it came from? imagine the consumer's comfort level when they can say "hey, George, I'm buying gecko ZZZ from Bill, who says he got the father from you and this is what he looked like. Did you in fact give/sell a male gecko that looks like that to Bill?" If George replies, yep, sure did, I can buy happily!
Sorry so long!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!