AV negative Breeders - Page 8 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-07-2007, 09:14 PM   #71
draggintails
I will ask before I steal

Vicki or someone...can I pirate your webpage on AV to put information on my website? Can I just take the links and everything so I don't have to do it myself? I will frighten everyone with my pessimistic attitude if I write it.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:26 PM   #72
varnyard
JimD, is not that bad of a guy, I talked with him on the phone, IMO, he is just looking for answers like everyone else.

That said, Jim I have talked to a few breeders in the last few days that do have 100% clean dragons.

The paper that was made, someone said it was 500 tests. Now we do know people were collecting infected dragons for testing, that is why I asked how many tests different people submitted to them. I don't think we will ever get the true answer, but if they submitted a very high number that were already positive, that would make the % climb above the norm.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:56 PM   #73
draggintails
People collecting infected dragons for testing did not test through Florida, they tested through IL by EM.

Most of the submissions to Florida were asymptomatic as is noted by the veterinarian in the document. It was not 500 tests it was much more, that number alone was accomplished in the last few months. This was an accumulation of submissions from 2003 to March 29, 2007, most were colony testing of healthy dragons again noted in the paper by the author. This is your norm.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:03 PM   #74
varnyard
Quote:
Originally Posted by draggintails
People collecting infected dragons for testing did not test through Florida, they tested through IL by EM.

Most of the submissions to Florida were asymptomatic as is noted by the veterinarian in the document. It was not 500 tests it was much more, that number alone was accomplished in the last few months. This was an accumulation of submissions from 2003 to March 29, 2007, most were colony testing of healthy dragons again noted in the paper by the author. This is your norm.

It just seems to me a small number compared to how many dragons are living in the U.S. alone. How many dragons are out there that have not been tested by them? 1,000,000 or more?

Old 04-07-2007, 10:42 PM   #75
draggintails
More people are testing by PCR than by EM and at Florida they have a good enough number to represent the current status and make a statement or the document would be held up in legal.

Everyone should still try to test their animals..it is a hardship I know, but it would give us an even better idea where we stand for the stats in 2008. Keeping records is a great idea from one poster. If the Dachius are doing testing on intermittent shedding..maybe that could help us with why, how, when, under what circumstances, do they ever stop shedding, shed forever, why shed today and not tomorrow..the frustrating questions......and that could be another valuable piece of information for the researchers and us.

Dr. Wagner and Dr. Wellahen (never spell his name right) are co-chairing the lecture on bearded dragon AV next week.....so they were nice enough to give us the status information before they present it at the lecture. I can not attend, but I can order a transcription and figure out how to post a long document when I get it..we have to make sure it will not take up too much room on the forums first.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:50 PM   #76
Scott Ashton
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAWDOG
Well you asked!! I am a Research Scientist and I develop novel/esoteric diagnostic tests for the largest Clinical Diagnostic Company in the world. I am published, I have presented at several conferences. In fact maybe you can check out the paper I co-authored this month in Microbiology.

Who commented on the technical complexities and risks associated with needle biopsies. I merely posted several references that said exactly the opposite of what your friend said.

You can say whatever you would like and that is your opinion. Since I do not know you and you have not written anything intelligent to add to this conversation then your opinion is unimportant to me as well as others trying to learn.

For the interested readers I spent over four years doing small animal surgeries(including biopsies).

Since you questioned my scientific background I would like to question yours and your ability to pose relevant questions and provide some pertinent information to the conversation? If you cannot provide any then please kindly exit the conversation. People are trying to learn, including me and you are halting that process. Anybody who would like to have a productive conversation about locating Adenovirus negative colonies please continue.
You were indeed commenting on biopsy procedures.

Are you a DVM, MD?

I'm guessing not.

In which case your experience with small animal surgeries (btw - how many of which were on bearded dragons) is irrelevant since there is no basis for establishing that you are indeed competent to perform such procedures.

Halting the process?

Hardly. I'm pointing out that you are ill qualified to comment on surgical procedures (including biopsies) because you are merely a lab technician.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:51 PM   #77
jsrocket
Quote:
Originally Posted by varnyard
It just seems to me a small number compared to how many dragons are living in the U.S. alone. How many dragons are out there that have not been tested by them? 1,000,000 or more?
You're right, Bobby. And those were not a scientific sample. However, keep in mind that a general projection CAN be done with research. As far as I know, nobody has actually done that yet.

You can make very accurate estimations, testing only a small percentage.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:54 PM   #78
varnyard
Thanks Tammy!!

It just seemed odd to me that they made that claim on a few animals compared to how many are out there.

I do wish the best for the beardie community. I do hope than can find a cure, so beardies will not have this dark cloud over them.

It would be sad if it was any animal had this, but almost everyone loves a beardie. I like the tegus much more myself, but ya gotta love that face on them beardies.

Old 04-08-2007, 01:03 AM   #79
Denisebme
Quote:
Originally Posted by varnyard
Thanks Tammy!!

It just seemed odd to me that they made that claim on a few animals compared to how many are out there.

I do wish the best for the beardie community. I do hope than can find a cure, so beardies will not have this dark cloud over them.

It would be sad if it was any animal had this, but almost everyone loves a beardie. I like the tegus much more myself, but ya gotta love that face on them beardies.
Hopefully the information out of U of Florida will convince people to test. Unfortunately, some people are taking the stance that since the number of positives is so high, that further testing is expensive and not necessary, but without more people getting involved, its always going to be a relatively small testing pool.

Tegu's are certainly fascinating and beautiful animals, but in terms of sheer cuteness, baby beardies are tops in my book. I've watched the video on the Tegu forum about 10 times now, and I admit that I'm more blown away each time, what fantastic creatures they are!

Old 04-08-2007, 01:07 AM   #80
Denisebme
Oh, and if anyone is looking for additional information about Dr. Wellehan and Dr. Wagner's upcoming lecture on AV testing procedures:
http://www.arav.org/Conference2002.htm

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!