I need your opinion - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-11-2007, 11:41 PM   #1
arovanga
I need your opinion

Can someone tell what is wrong with the beardie in the front?
Attached Images

Old 05-11-2007, 11:57 PM   #2
Valley Dragons
Well, the obvious underbite might be a sign of metabolic bone disease...

Jamie

Old 05-13-2007, 04:05 PM   #3
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

That looks like possible MBD to me, also. Is it getting adequate UVB & calcium?

Tracie

Old 05-13-2007, 10:46 PM   #4
arovanga
Well I purchased these two through here and had notify the seller about the jaw but the seller sees nothing wrong with it. That is why I'm here asking for your opinion or take on this. I'm a newby at BD but the abnormality is very noticable to me. As of now they are getting 5 % UVB and are eating dusted mealworms and crickets.

If it is MBD, is it curable?

Old 05-13-2007, 11:21 PM   #5
Valley Dragons
The dragon does not appear to have severe MBD. You will probably not be able to change the shape of the jaw, but with proper care you will prevent further damage. Make sure you are providing a good UVB light or natural sunlight several times per week. Be sure to dust your live prey with a good calcium supplement. If you are using a UVB strip light, then you will need a calcium supplement that contains D3. If you use a MVB or natural sunlight several times per week, then use a calcium supplement WITHOUT D3.

A note about mealworms - they are high in chitin and can cause impaction in dragons. I recommend sticking to crickets, lobster roaches, or silkworms.

Jamie

Old 05-13-2007, 11:23 PM   #6
Valley Dragons
Oh, sorry, I just saw that you are using a 5% UBV light. Try upping that to a 10.0 (I like ZooMed ReptiSun) and that will help your dragon.

Jamie

Old 05-13-2007, 11:45 PM   #7
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

Oh definitely not a good UVB at all. We recommend for flourescents either a reptisun 10 or a reptiglo 10. Personally, I would go with a Megaray or a T-rex mercury vapor bulb since he already has the beginnings of MBD. You are probably using a low output reptisun or ESU. It is a compact or coil or a flourescent?
No, it is not really curable, but it is stoppable, & some can be reversed with proper lighting & supplementation. You may want to consider getting liquid calcium though as that would be absorbed better than the powder.
His lower jaw will most likely stay that way, but it shouldn't get any worse. Once bones get deformities, they just will not grow back or revert back the correct way.
Can you get him to a vet for x-rays & bloodwork perhaps? That would tell you alot in where his blood calcium was.

Tracie

Old 05-14-2007, 01:23 AM   #8
arovanga
Thank you all for your inputs and advice. I found the answer I was looking for. The UVB light I'm using is a Reptiglo 5. I will upgrade to the Reptisun 10. As for the liquid calcium, should I give it to her directly or soak it in greens?

Old 05-15-2007, 11:19 AM   #9
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

You are welcome. Glad to see you will upgrade her light to a reptisun 10, that should help alot. Keep it 8-10 inches from her to protect her eyes.
I personally, would syringe the liquid calcium to her, just to ensure that she does get it all in case she doesn't finish all of her greens.
Keep us posted on how she is doing.

Tracie

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!