Help for prospective owner? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-03-2009, 10:01 PM   #1
BBNewYork
Help for prospective owner?

Hello, and first of all I apologize if I have posted in the wrong area.

I am looking for any basic input as to whether I should purchase another python or not.
I am a herp N00b, compared to many people here. I have owned a 4 1/2 ft. ball python (no morph) for a little over 1 year now, I love the snake but my eye has wandered...
I was in a local store and I saw several gorgeous pythons, if I recall: Green Tree, Woma, and some sort of Water Python. The Green Tree Python really stopped me in my tracks.
My first thought was that these snakes would naturally be more aggressive or harder to take care of than my current snake, who is a doll. And yes, I base this on absolutely nothing. That's why I come to ask the folks here, who seem to really know their stuff!

Would a snake like the Green Tree, Woma or Water Python be a HUGE leap for a ball python owner? What would you recommend as a 2nd snake, if not these?

Thanks!

Old 08-03-2009, 10:32 PM   #2
reticguy76
womas are fantastic animals, very very docile and laid back

Old 08-04-2009, 05:33 AM   #3
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by reticguy76 View Post
womas are fantastic animals, very very docile and laid back
....until they think food is coming their way, lol.

Realistically, a green tree python IS a huge leap from a ball python. They have more demanding temperature and humidity requirements; and if those requirements are not met, they won't thrive. Temperaments are highly variable, some tolerate handling fairly well...some don't.

Water pythons are easy to care for, but they tend to be more active than a BP. They might sit calmly on your arm for a while...after they spend the first 20 minutes trying to get someplace. My experience has shown them to be somewhat "twitchy", like other members of that group - meaning they often startle at movement, and respond quickly to touch...often striking first, then figuring out what is going on. (Of course, my experience was with WC specimens, and at least 10 yrs ago. Buying CB may reduce some of those tendencies.) Once you get past that, though, they really are enjoyable animals...and they've got that incredible irridescence

Womas really are awesome snakes - easy to care for, good temperaments...but they do tend to get excited at feeding time. Mine are just like my bullsnakes, in that they see the feeding bucket and start getting worked up. It's an easy enough thing to deal with, though.

Any of the above snakes are great choices...you just need to figure out what you want, and what you are prepared to deal with (in terms of husbandry and handling). You might also want to consider carpets

Old 08-04-2009, 02:46 PM   #4
BBNewYork
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
Womas really are awesome snakes - easy to care for, good temperaments...but they do tend to get excited at feeding time. Mine are just like my bullsnakes, in that they see the feeding bucket and start getting worked up. It's an easy enough thing to deal with, though.
Yes i'm used to that, right before feeding my BP strikes at everything that moves. Never been bit, though.
Thanks a lot for your input!

Old 08-16-2009, 01:30 AM   #5
Josh N
I agree with the above posts. I would just like to give you another nudge toward the woma if you are inclined to get another snake. They are simple to care for, love to eat, and stay a manageable size for most people. All this advertising and I don't even breed them anymore. Good luck whatever your decision.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:24 PM   #6
BBNewYork
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh N View Post
I agree with the above posts. I would just like to give you another nudge toward the woma if you are inclined to get another snake. They are simple to care for, love to eat, and stay a manageable size for most people. All this advertising and I don't even breed them anymore. Good luck whatever your decision.
Thanks! Once I get my BP calm and eating again, i will definetly look into the woma.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!