Newbie that needs help from the experienced! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-01-2006, 04:41 PM   #1
c_bear0a9bt
Red face Newbie that needs help from the experienced!

HI, I am brand new to this site and hoping to get some help.

I bought my 8 year old son some geckos for his birthday in February of this year. Both were over a year old and very healthy.

Anyway are intentions were to breed a few. I purchased the Hoverbator for the incubation.

This is my second batch of eggs. I currently have one left in the incubator, was hatch on Mothers day.

On the top of the egg, it is dimpling slightly and is discolored on the end, almost dark brown.

Is my egg dead?? the temp has been around 85 to 88 degrees. and there is no smell, just discoloration?

Can you give me some insight as to what may be happening and how to correct it if it isn't to late??

Thanks,
Kim

Old 06-01-2006, 07:35 PM   #2
c_bear0a9bt
Can anyone respond??????

Old 06-01-2006, 09:23 PM   #3
Junkyard
I do not know much about geckos, but I will give you the best knowledge I have. From what I understand dimpling is not nessecarily a bad thing. It can mean a lack of humidity, I have even heard that they dimple before hatching. A person even had a moldy egg hatch just recently.

How long has it been incubating for?
What is the humidity level?

Old 06-01-2006, 11:29 PM   #4
LeosForLess
If you can please get a picture.

Old 06-01-2006, 11:33 PM   #5
KelliH
Hi-

How do you have the egg set up? What sort of container? Are you using vermiculite or perlite? How did you mix the incubation medium? Is the medium drying out?

Normally leopard gecko eggs will not dimple until immediately before they hatch. Is it possible you need to add a bit of water to the incubation medium?

Old 06-02-2006, 11:38 AM   #6
c_bear0a9bt
Hi guys, thanks so much for responding as my son is becoming impatient with me.

The egg was hatched mothers day. I transferred it to the hoverbator within a hour or two. I have temp set at 85 degrees.

This is Roxy's second third egg. She will be laying another one any day.

I have her egg in a small petry dish with hole buried in vermiculite. I pretty much damped the vermiculite until it packed like a snow ball as some website suggest.

My batteries are dead. I will send picture tonight.

Thanks again for all the responses!

Kim

Old 06-02-2006, 05:40 PM   #7
WindyO
http://www.albeysreptiles.com/incubate-eggs.htm
This is the method that I use to great success. Just make sure you can care for and find responsible homes for the geckos you hatch.

Old 06-02-2006, 07:14 PM   #8
c_bear0a9bt
Hey guys,

Thanks for responding, my little guy is becoming impatient with me. The egg was hatched on Mothers day. This is her 3rd egg, the first two died.

I have the egg in vermiculite. The temp is set for 85degrees, I don't know what the humidity level is. I have the egg in the petry dishes with the holes around it. They came with the hoverbator.

I will take a picture tomorrow and show you.

Thanks again for all the responses.

Kim

Old 06-02-2006, 07:30 PM   #9
Supahypegex
like WindyO said

http://www.albeysreptiles.com/incubate-eggs.htm

this method works very good. I use it my self good luck with your eggs !

Old 06-02-2006, 07:57 PM   #10
c_bear0a9bt
I will definately try this method for the next egg, although I which substrate do you guys recommend. The vermiculite or perilite? or does it matter?

Kim

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!