Bad Guy Scammers from Cameroon - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 12:08 PM   #1
Importer
Scammers from Cameroon

I tried to import animals from Bonava Wildlife Conservation based in Cameroon. The animals apparently were given to "UNITED PETS TRAVEL" (a part of United Airlines) and shipped out. They said that they were quarantined in France and I had to pay an additional fee of $1100 for them to be tested before they would release them. So I paid the fee and they apparently arrived at our airport and were put on a courier to our destination. Apparently the driver was in an accident which resulted in the animals death. They said that the driver was admitted to the hospital because of his injuries. We contacted the hospital to see if this was true. Well wouldn't you know that no one was admitted due to a vehicle accident in the past few days. So we went back and contacted the airport in France to see if they in fact quarantined our chameleons. Again wouldn't you know they had no clue what we were talking about. Next step was contacting United Airlines themselves. They had no clue who this "United Pet Travel" was which they say that they have been in business with them for over 31 years. Now we go back to the original exporter.....Wouldn't you know that their phone lines have been disconnected and they are no where to be found. Needles to say we are out $10,000 for our animals. The airline says that our insurance refund is in but we need to send them $1780 before they will release it to us.....ha...Ya right...do you think I'm stupid after finding all this out. You got our money so screw off and we will do everything in our power to ensure that nothing comes from Cameroon again. Below are some of the names, numbers, and address they gave us. So be sure if you see any of these names and or companies.....DO NOT SEND THEM MONEY....THEY ARE SCAMMING YOU.

CRYSTALSTONE
BONAVA WILDLIFE CONSERVATION CENTER.
BP 1745 Gardens Street,
Limbe, South West Region,
Rep of Cameroon.
Tel. +237 3311 47 10.
Account Name: - Bonava Wildlife Conservation
Account Number: C/o 15010013004300040
Bank Name: Union Bank of Cameroon,
Swift Code: UCMACMCX LimbeBranch,
Republic of Cameroon.

Name - Mofeme Nangolo Ewusi
Add Location - Limbe, Cameroon
Telephone - +237 3311 47 10

Rodney Moore
Customer Service Agent
United Pets Travel
00237-7719-4234

Name......Awah Kevin Frunwi
Address:...741 Airport Road
Province:..North West Region
City.......Douala
Zip........00237
Country....Cameroon

wworldbuisness@yahoo.com

All of the above names are connected in one way or another. So if you see these anywhere be advised...THEY ARE PULLING A HUGE INTERNATIONAL SCAM AND DO NOT GIVE THEM ANY MONEY. IATA and united airlines have no idea of their existence and say that they are not a part of their company.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:14 PM   #2
spyder79
you sent them over 10 grand without researching everything they told you as far as shipping companies, company profiles, licensures, and whatever else you could find out. I mean that really blows and i really feel for you. 10 gran is a lot of scratch, but if i was giving someone 10 grand for animals i was importing from overseas im pretty sure there would have been a great deal of research involved and possibly a lawyer lol.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:20 PM   #3
critical bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Importer View Post
Needles to say we are out $10,000 for our animals. The airline says that our insurance refund is in but we need to send them $1780 before they will release it to us.....ha...Ya right...do you think I'm stupid after finding all this out.
Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on you. Fool me three times shame on......

Wait, how does that go again?

Well, no matter. You're no fool as far as I can see. Good for you for catching on so quickly.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:25 PM   #4
MiamiExotics
I am not saying your story is not true, but have you ever imported before?
If so, then why or how the heck would you not know that there are no "reptile" delivery companies, and there was no broker for clearing the shipment, no CITES documents in your name to show you before you sent money, no port inspection fee?That animal imports are seen as regular freight not "pet travel" type? etc etc? If its your first time, what a hard lesson learned, sorry for your loss!
We import from cameroon 2-3 times a year, and cites documents are 8.00 per animal hd, plus freight fees, brokers, packing fees, but we NEVER send money without a company sending us CITES documents in our name that are validated and confirmed real.

I would never import from someone new without doing research and finding out if they are even licensed by contacting the CITES office in the country they say they are exporting from.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:25 PM   #5
CSMGecko
That really sucks. But your first clue should have been Wildlife Conservation. A true conservation does not sell animals. Once the animals reach that conservation, that is where they stay. Any true conservation doesn't take animals that they can't take care of. Research is the key prior to dropping a good some of money. It is a shame though that there are tons of scammers like that out there.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:40 PM   #6
Importer
Permits

I paid for CITES @ $10 a head. They listed all the required permits, and yes I have imported before with no problems. I did do some research and a few individuals did say that they heard good things about the companies listed above. But in this case they did not send me the CITES permit first. Needless to say I only deal with reliable exporters and not go out on a limb and try something new. Hard lesson learned.

In Canada there are people (brokers that will clear customs for you then bring the animals directly to you) I've had it done once before. Only the first time I hired the broker, This time they apparently did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiExotics View Post
I am not saying your story is not true, but have you ever imported before?
If so, then why or how the heck would you not know that there are no "reptile" delivery companies, and there was no broker for clearing the shipment, no CITES documents in your name to show you before you sent money, no port inspection fee?That animal imports are seen as regular freight not "pet travel" type? etc etc? If its your first time, what a hard lesson learned, sorry for your loss!
We import from cameroon 2-3 times a year, and cites documents are 8.00 per animal hd, plus freight fees, brokers, packing fees, but we NEVER send money without a company sending us CITES documents in our name that are validated and confirmed real.

I would never import from someone new without doing research and finding out if they are even licensed by contacting the CITES office in the country they say they are exporting from.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:58 PM   #7
hhmoore
Once again, Nick, your thread is being closed (for failure to include the person/business in the title). With a little luck, if you choose to repost, the other participants will add their comments to the new thread. You're online, looking at this thread now, so I won't leave it here long.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread