About the switch to the new server... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 01-03-2003, 12:39 PM   #1
WebSlave
About the switch to the new server...

Since no one reads the Admin section......

The switch over to the new server on Wednesday has not been fun. The actual transfer went fairly smooth, but I had trouble getting the ad server software running. Mostly had to do with a necessary change in my logon password for the database. But eventually it was running.

But the server crashed completely on Wednesday, then again twice on Thursday. The suspicion is that the banner ad system is the culprit, but since it has been running flawlessly on my old server for a good 10 or 11 months, I am skeptical of this diagnosis.

But to show good faith in the techs knowing what they are talking about, I have disabled the banner ad system throughout all of my sites to see what happens. If the system is stable for 24 to 48 hours, I will admit they are right. At that point I will load up an upgraded version of the banner ad software. If this again causes failures, I will be forced to use a different banner ad system. Danni Wilson has one waiting in the wings for me, and it's possible I may go to that one anyway. I just need to find the time to take a closer look at it.

If the server STILL crashes while the banner ad software is disabled, then I will give the techs no more than 48 hours to fix the problem or replace my server with another box. If they are unable to do either, I will be moving back to the old server and will be back to square one.

Anyway, sorry about the crashes.

This is definitely setting all of my plans back several days.

Old 01-03-2003, 01:36 PM   #2
WebSlave
Oh yeah, if anyone notices any glitches, please let me know. With server level problems, ANYTHING can happen. If some rather severe problems begin to crop up from the database being corrupted (the MySQL process was one that got whacked a couple of times), I may have to not only roll back to the old server, but roll back to that database as well. That would mean everything posted since then would be lost.

I certainly hope this won't be the case, but I can't rule it out as a distinct possibility at this point.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!