2 wild caught northern diamondback terrapin... questions???? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 07-09-2004, 01:25 AM   #1
phillyroc
Question 2 wild caught northern diamondback terrapin... questions????

yo,

whats up i rescued two diamondback terrapins from a pet store in new jersey that a buddy of mine owns...they are illegal to sell or own in new jersey without a permit...

well any some one called him and told them they wanted to drop off the pair and he told them about the laws and they just dropped them off and ran out while he was in the back of the store......

i really like them and in the earlier phone call the poeple had told him the had caught them a couple of years prior at the jersey shore and could no longer maintain them and thats were i come in....

i need some more help with there care they are in a 55 long with it half filled with water with some salt in the water and crushed coral on the bottom... what other important things do i need to have them set up...

they are in a warm room were i keep most of my other reptiles and its in the mid 80's in the room the water is about 75-78 degrees.... the have a regular fish tank light for now....

i fed them live small gold fish ... but the were a little scared of the live fish ... they waited for them to die or slow up and only bit them all in half.....

any other help would be great ;;;;;

they have auwesome personalities they are so friendly and are not scared of me at all... they never hide when picked up and love to swim around in there water...

????? is it cool for them to be under water with there eyes closed just sittin on the bottom for periods of time??????

thanks very much

rocco

Old 07-09-2004, 12:44 PM   #2
Vince
they are closeing there eyes most likely becuse there is to much salt in the water, these turtles like brachish water, drain your tank, and fill it with fresh water, go to your buddys pet shop and buy salt that is made for african chiclids*spelling* do not use salt for marine fish, also make sure they have plently of room to come up out of the water, you may want to also put some feeders in the tank, try crayfish . if these guys are adults you may want to get a bigger home for them . you may also want to think strongly about just letting them go back in the wild.

Old 07-15-2004, 10:25 PM   #3
dragoncjo
diamondbacks

I would consider giving them to the animal stranding center, they do alot of releasing of baby turtles and injured adults. Those turtles will be much more happier in the wild then in a 55 gallon tank.

Old 07-15-2004, 11:56 PM   #4
phillyroc
is that what i asked???????????????

i asked for help in keeping them healthy and maintained in captivity...

1st its none of your business what i keep and they are doing fine ... i didn't need your 2 cents....

i have moved them to a 125 and they are eating and love it here.... they were already some ones pet for around 3 years ... taken as babies from ther jersey shore....

i wanted some help and this is the answer you give me ,,, no thanks......

later
dude

rocco

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!