Leopard Gecko Question - Could be EMERGENCY - PLEASE READ - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-22-2008, 12:56 PM   #1
Jazeira
Leopard Gecko Question - Could be EMERGENCY - PLEASE READ

I took home four really thin baby leopards from a petco the other day. They were on sale and I wanted to try to see if I could help them out. I brought an adult back from starvation before. Anyway, the one that was the worst looking died the second day (they actually gave him to me for free because they'd already written him off) and I noticed he had a black spot on his stomach. I checked the others and two of them have the same spot. One of them doesn't, but has a smaller spot of the same color higher up on his chest. Do you know what this is?

I called an Animal Clinic that deals with exotics and they said it sounded like it could be parasites so I may be going to Howdershell for a stool sample soon. I was just wondering if you could maybe shed any light on this? I've done a lot of searching online and it sounded like it could also possibly be compaction. At the petco they were housed on sand.

Has this ever happened in any of your babies before? What can I do to help them right now?

Old 02-24-2008, 10:04 AM   #2
geckogrl6
Sounds like an enlarged liver, possibly from starvation. If its big enough already, its prob too late for the others too.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:50 AM   #3
Jazeira
That's the advice I got from another breeder - fatty liver. A second one died the other day sadly... I have an appointment at a vet for wednsday. I think one will be fine (it doesn't really have the spot) but I'm worried about the other one.

Thanks for responding.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:25 PM   #4
geckogrl6
Good luck. If it is liver problems, there's not much a vet can do. Concentrate on doing what you can for the other one.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:11 PM   #5
Jazeira
I doubt the other one will live through the night, leaving the one with the very faint spot. He seems healthy and is the only one interested in the food.

Guess these guys were to far gone sadly... makes me more disgusted with the pet stores then I was before...

Old 02-25-2008, 10:20 PM   #6
critical bill
Why don't you speak directly with the manager of that petco and offer to consult with the sales staff and let them know what you found and why this occurred. I mean, that is the real cure. Condemning them isn't going to put them out of business.

It was real nice of you to try and save them. You're a good person.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:02 PM   #7
Jazeira
Thanks. I should. The manager actually sold them to me and even gave one of them to me for free because she didn't think it would make it. If I see her again, I will probably bring it up. But I don't blame them so much as the people that are higher up. They ought to educate their employees more.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!