Feeding Roaches and Dragon POOP Smells horrible! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-22-2014, 09:21 PM   #1
Rainbow Bearded Dragons
Feeding Roaches and Dragon POOP Smells horrible!

I have noticed after my dragons eat Dubia roaches their poop smells horrible. This smell is very unique and only when feeding dubia roaches. What is wrong with these roaches to cause this.The smell is horrible!!!!! Even the dragons start smelling like that.I only feed roaches here and there to my adults and can tell the difference. something has to be wrong with these roaches.They also cause loose stool.

Anyone else notice this issue and where did you get your dubia from????

Old 03-24-2014, 08:56 PM   #2
hadenglock
I have a dragon that eats dubias and produces some pretty foul smelling stools, however i would not blame the roaches entirely, if you feed them a balanced diet and include plenty of plant matter into the diet it helps cut down on the smell. I would not fret about smelly stools regardless unless the animal is displaying signs of illness

Old 03-25-2014, 03:38 AM   #3
august quion
Tamara, try gut loading the roaches you get for at least 1-2 weeks with your own healthy gut load. Not all but a lot of bigger roach breeders use too much animal protein (dog cat rodent food) type feed for the roaches. Would you feed your dragons dog food? I know exactly what your talking about kinda like not fully digested poop and that weird smell of rotting meat/fruit/sewage smelling poop, very specific and not like any other. I've switched to all plant based protein about 2 years ago for roaches and I don't get that anymore.

Old 03-25-2014, 03:49 AM   #4
Rainbow Bearded Dragons
I feed them chicken feed and oat meal baby cereal flakes. Same as what I feed my crickets and superworms but also add in orange juice powder and bee pollen. I ordered some roach chow the other day, not here yet. What exactly are you feeding your roaches? Sounds like you know exactly what I'm talking about LOL. Maybe it's the chicken feed I'm giving them??

Thank you for your help.trying to give the adult dragons what they like as treats but I just can't take that smell!

Old 03-25-2014, 04:51 AM   #5
august quion
I'm feeding roaches roughly 30% non medicated chic start 30% alfalfa the rest is ground flax seed, rolled oats, pea protein, a little raw sunflower seeds, a little raw almonds, some dried fruits and bee pollen. It takes a while for the animal protein to get out of a roaches system from what I've researched, I had a bad experience 3-4 years ago with my panther chameleon hatchlings developing gout from feeding roaches raised on mostly dog/cat food and I remember that smelly poop. Maybe try taking out the orange juice powder for the roaches, I know my adult dubia colony has a funny smell (like rotting fruit dubia poop smell for a couple days after feeding them oranges.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:05 AM   #6
Rainbow Bearded Dragons
That's the funny thing. My roach bin doesn't smell at all. I will add some of the above. I think the roach food I ordered is mainly the ingredents you have above..seeds, nuts, grains and I think beans are ground into it also.I didn't know roaches would eat alfalfa but they will eat oat meal so why not.

I also use plain water gel but that shouldn't be doing anything to the roaches.
Thank you for your help. I may take the chicken food away for a little while also and see what happens..

Old 03-25-2014, 04:58 PM   #7
hadenglock
Dubia roaches are strictly vegetarian, they will reproduce best when fed a strict diet of plant protein, no animal protein included. I feed my colony Mazuri tortoise chow, only because i have it on hand for my other herps.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:55 PM   #8
Ed Clark
Have been using Mazuri insect diet for many years with no unpleasant odors. you can buy it factory fresh, they will ship to you for a reasonable price.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!